Mountain of parts that gotta go!

Gib

Howdy, I joined about 2 years ago to let someone know about my parts stash. I cant seem to figure out how, maybe you can help me. I no longer own a Civic, but I had 4 at one point for my kids and I. They were 96 to 99. I have a HUGE pile of parts, mainly for 96 to 98. A LOT of good stuff. Cleaning out the attic and its gotta go. A bunch on FB marketplace. I dont want much, no reasonable offers refused. Can you help? Otherwise off to the scrap yard they go. THANKS! Gib

96-el-x

I too have a few boxes of parts. I pulled my "spare" Y7 cylinder head out of it's plastic bin last weekend and decided I would finally clean it in the dishwasher - still reeking of oil n' gas and layers of black carbon from when I pulled 'er 2 years ago. I am in the hoarding stage that most Americans are familiar with so I won't let it go just yet. I am lining up plans to rebuild it - local machine shop maybe. But wait! I want to swap in a newer motor. Maybe I will drive my crap to the dump for processing.

Say, it looks like you were scolded for trying to sell stuff 2 years ago. "CIA-Book" - i.e Facebook - is a pretty good place for old parts. Not sure why you aren't getting attention there - it's entirely possible the demand for old Civic parts isn't super strong. There are tons of civic offerings there. Complete rolling basket cases can be had for low cost.

However - In my area I still see Latinos, artistic freaks, rebels, every racial sub-type and sexual preference up to and including white rednecks like myself steaming up and down the boulevard in our stubborn Honda rice burners. Can't do that without constantly replacing stuff. So there is some demand.

Craigslist unfortunately has gotten a bad rap - I think this is on purpose from the people who own it. Almost like Corporate Honda's decision to downgrade the Civic in some of the notorious generations. Most people avoid Craigslist now because of bad impressions or news which is too bad. At one time it was great for unloading old gear - bicycles, guitars, car wheels - you name it and you could meet people too - not only to bang (you perverts) but for other equally legitimate reasons.

Finally I'd like to say I'm filled with a sense of sadness. Bittersweet nostalgia perhaps - maybe a longing or yearning for those youth filled days when couples put the seats back all the way to make for a makeshift bed in their new 90s era civics. The stout and reliable 1.6 spinning the compressor and cooling the cabin while sweat dripped off youthful bodies. That new car smell, all the components tight and precise. Those were the days. Now it's terror with Telsas and massive houses for the rich in their fortified compounds. Were the Civics the beginning of the end? I'm talking all the way back to 1973 and the CVCC era - where did things go wrong?

Growing up in a post agricultural suburban dystopia - long before land prices exploded in a desperate attempt at empire preservation - families held on to their machines. I'm referring to farms where the rusting International Harvester or an old iron combine sat majestically out in a field like a brilliant painting - glowing colors of orange, blue and green, and red rust. Flowers, tall grass and hazy sunshine - a magnificent vision. Remember the homes? One of these days 'Steve' will get around to fixing up his old '76 Ford LTD that's been sitting in a corner of his driveway under a deteriorating cover since 1982.

I don't particularly like the song, I'd rather listen to 2112 or 60s Merle Haggard when I'm at the wheel. But maybe you could play Barbara Streisand's 'The Way we Were' to to get into the right frame of mind when you finally sell your old scrap metal to some dreamer out there.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Howdy, I joined about 2 years ago to let someone know about my parts stash.They were 96 to 99. I have a HUGE pile of parts, mainly for 96 to 98. A LOT of good stuff. Cleaning out the attic and its gotta go. A bunch on FB marketplace.
Since you don't have enough posts to post the stuff in the classified section on here, it may help to post a link in your original thread here, a location would be nice, so those that want to look can see?