Mpg

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "sik_civic"

will i/h/e and slammin it lower my MPG? eg hatch
I/H/E ??
Intake/Heads/Exhaust right? I didn't know that the civic had (m)any options for aftermarket heads and intake

O.Z Chi

Team San Jose
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

The intake will tend to increase your highway but decrease your city. The exhaust work I'm not sure. Slammin it prolly will tend to increase your fuel economy due to the decreased drag, but if you rub too much then that'll throw it out the window.

Civics have as many, if not more, mods as Mustangs.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
k well im only plannin on 1-1.5 so u dunno bout the exhaust thanx for the info bro ne else got tips????

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "OZ99"

sik_civic said:
Civics have as many, if not more, mods as Mustangs.
I don't know if i would say that. Maybe civics have a bigger aftermarket than newer stangs, but the 5.0 has a HUGE aftermarket.
When i say intake i don't mean cold air either, i mean the entire intake. What aftermarket heads are there for the civic, i've never seen any.

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nah TurboZinc, sik_civic was just talking about the induction pipe and filter, an aftermarket header, and a catback exhaust i am sure.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea thank u Sick_civic those ppl with *clears throut* rustangs j/p dont know bout aem k&n and others

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

yea thank u Sick_civic those ppl with *clears throut* rustangs j/p dont know bout aem k&n and others
I'm sorry, but to me I/H/E is intake/heads/exhaust, not cold air/headers/"fart cannon" j/k.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
then where does your header(s) fall in? exhaust? you also need to keep in mind that our intake manifolds and heads are so efficient that 98% of us will never need to swap them out. though there are plenty of options for those who choose to.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Team 4R"

then where does your header(s) fall in? exhaust? you also need to keep in mind that our intake manifolds and heads are so efficient that 98% of us will never need to swap them out. though there are plenty of options for those who choose to.
Where else would headers fall in? Aren't they part of the exhaust system?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

technically yes but u can swap them seperately
Well of course they can, but so can a midpipe, would that make it seperate from the rest of the exhaust?

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "TurboZinc"

sik_civic said:
technically yes but u can swap them seperately
Well of course they can, but so can a midpipe, would that make it seperate from the rest of the exhaust?
you r right man. i got ya! :thumbup:

let's not debate this any longer, we all know where it's going............ NOWHERE :mrgreen:

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm yeah header is the exhaust.. smart guy

but getting i/h/e should increase your mpg due to the better air flow. but that's if you have a right system going. meaning the size of the pipes gets bigger and bigger to the end of the car. ie: 2.25 header to 2.5 cat to 2.75 exhaust to 3.0 tip

but that's just an example...

lowering your car will reduce drag. but if you have a fat spoiler or something then your mpg will actually decrease. i remember i put on a commando spoiler from wingswest one time jsut for fun. i drove my car with it for a week. the spoiler is around 20-30 lbs. after a week i filled up and my gas mileage was terrible. so i took that crap off ...

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
k but all i will have is a small duck bill maybe CF but only if i have the money and shud i get 4-1 or 4-2-1 headers? and do they have to go smaller to larger?

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TurboZinc i consider hearders diff cuz its i the engine bay and u dont need much work under the car to change it

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would disagree...... on a mildly modified d or b-series motor, increasing exhaust flow too much will decrease backpressure causing a drop in torque....... if you're staying n/a then don't have any part of your exhaust larger than 2.5". optimally you should get 2.5" mandrel bent piping...... get 4-1 headers. they provide small gains over the 4-2-1 all across the powerband.