Mustang Power Forums Yeah!

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I look at it this way. You drive an import, good for you. You drive a domestic, ggood for you. I dont mind either people. I have own both types of cars. My expierences with the import scene havent been all good but i like it. i dont dislike domestic guys. Most of them are extremely smart when it comes to cars. All you have to do is not act like a tard.

For example. I was out friday afternoon. i was waiting for the ferry when like 30 Corvettes rolle dup. I got out and started talking to them and passing out flyers for our dyno day. None of them said anything bad. they all seemed like cool guys. I guess everyone has their own expierences and such.

Arcane Hayter

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its interestinig, I never considered what your parents drove having any affect on what you drive today. I think most people that are exposed to a lot of different auto manufacturers find a brand that they really like. Sometimes its looks, sometimes its how easy they are to work on or get parts for, and sometimes its for the way they handle or drive. I know my Dad would never in a million years own a foriegn car and I would never own a domestic again (except for my Linc, but that's a classic). We still get along great when it comes to cars and we help each other work on them all the time. At the end of the day when you work on cars they start to seam similar no matter who makes them, sure they all have slightly different ways of doing things, but you know what I mean. Be proud of what you drive but don't knock the other guy just because he drives something with a different badge on the hood.

Cars I've owned
1980 GMC Sierra Classic 350 V8 4x4
1985 Cheverolet Caprice Classic 5.7 diesel engine ftw!!!
1987 GMC Safari Mini-Van
1991 Cheverolet Baretta 4 banger (my first POS)
1991 Nissan Maxima V6 (first foreign car, and it shagged ass)
1992 Honda VFR 750 (first and only speed bike) - I know this isn't a car, but its a Honda ;)
1976 Cheverolet Silverado 350 V8 4x4 (11" of lift on this bad boy)
1988 Ford Ranger (OMG, this thing was a joke)
1992 Mazda 323 (second foreign car, got the most bang for my buck out of this ride)
1995 Kia Sophia (uhmm... I don't know if I should say anything about this car)
1991 Honda Accord 4 door 4 banger (first Honda car)
1965 Lincoln Continental 430 V8 4 (suicide) door
1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe
2000 Honda Accord Coupe 4 banger
What does it all mean!

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you'll really like an AWD sedan? LOL

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You were making fun of them too, hypocrite :lol:

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
the term rice originated back in the 70's when imports were really starting to hit
the little asian imports were known as "rice burners"....

import owners have since tried to philosophize the term, but it's core denotation is still a description for every asian import on the road
I ment the modern term not the 70's meaning...lol

Thanks for the new insight though.. =)

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Error404 said:
Aot of Dumb Redneck Mustang Owners on that forum.. why I never joined =/..
But anyway almost all mustang owners are cocky. My freind that has a older gt is like were is the rest of your motor? in the trunk? riceburner.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
racing_kid_05 said:
I ment the modern term not the 70's meaning...lol

Thanks for the new insight though.. =)

that's where you're logic is flawed.

You're talking about the made-up meaning that new age import owners use so they dont feels so bad when people refer to rice, a classic example of denial You wont find a clear cut answer on what the "made up" meaning of rice is, because there is none. Some people in denial say rice is a state of mind... some say it's any cosmetic upgrade that doesnt improve performance, some say it's not rice if the bodykits and such are "quality" products, some say nothing is rice is the car is fast enough, blah blah blah blah... it's all bullshit

the REAL meaning is really quite simple and clear.... "rice" is a derogative term used to describe asian cars.
it could be a stock accord station wagon, or it could be a 350whp, "jdm styled", itr track car.... the term rice correctly desribes them both

ryanM

RedLine42 said:
But anyway almost all mustang owners are cocky. My freind that has a older gt is like were is the rest of your motor? in the trunk? riceburner.
i dont think you get it, he IS a mustang owner...

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
that's where you're logic is flawed.

You're talking about the made-up meaning that new age import owners use so they dont feels so bad when people refer to rice, a classic example of denial You wont find a clear cut answer on what the "made up" meaning of rice is, because there is none. Some people in denial say rice is a state of mind... some say it's any cosmetic upgrade that doesnt improve performance, some say it's not rice if the bodykits and such are "quality" products, some say nothing is rice is the car is fast enough, blah blah blah blah... it's all bullshit

the REAL meaning is really quite simple and clear.... "rice" is a derogative term used to describe asian cars.
it could be a stock accord station wagon, or it could be a 350whp, "jdm styled", itr track car.... the term rice correctly desribes them both
Did you know that the first hot rods were 4 cylinder cars?
So can i call my car a "hot rod"?

I don't really care if anyone calls me or my car a rice burner.
I call my self a ricer sometimes.

We could debate on this issue all day. Words change and evolve. It means different thing to different people.
Your definition could be or should i say..is the correct one but to other people it means something completely different.
I could think of one word that is derogatory which people use everyday to describe a friend or a person in general. This word wasn't originally considered derogatory, but merely denotative ...:D

P.s thanks for the history of the word phrase "rice burner."
now i know a little more.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The term "rice burner" or "rice rocket" came from the Harley crowd back in the 60's or before (check "Hells Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs" by Hunter S. Thompson - published 1966 - work of fiction but a factual tale comprised of much research and conversations from a local gang). It was a very defogatory term used to refer to the different motorcycles imported from Japan.

So yes, "rice" first was used as a prefix for derogatory terms referring to Japanese motorcycles and later was also used to refer to any Japanese made (and other Asian-built) automobiles.

In recent years the term has taken on different uses than just those older forms did. Now the term "rice" and it's other forms can mean ANY make or model of car modified in ways to make it appear to be more of a high-performance vehicle than it actually is. This commonly can mean "race inspired" modifications, such as larger GT spoilers, that have little use on street-legal cars. It can also refer to neon lighting, large chrome wheels, or other primarily visual modifications that often might be defined as "gaudy".

Also, this word and it's different forms can be used in many different ways. They can be used as a verb, noun, or adjective. You can "rice up" a new car. You can own "rice" or be a "ricer". A car can be "ricey".

Hope this helps clear up the definition a bit. It's not just one or the other, it's actually both.

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
The term "rice burner" or "rice rocket" came from the Harley crowd back in the 60's or before (check "Hells Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs" by Hunter S. Thompson - published 1966 - work of fiction but a factual tale comprised of much research and conversations from a local gang). It was a very defogatory term used to refer to the different motorcycles imported from Japan.

So yes, "rice" first was used as a prefix for derogatory terms referring to Japanese motorcycles and later was also used to refer to any Japanese made (and other Asian-built) automobiles.

In recent yearrs though the term has taken on different uses than just those older forms did. Now the term "rice" and it's other forms can mean ANY make or model of car modified in ways to make it appear to be more of a high-performance vehicle than it actually is. This commonly can mean "race inspired" modifications, such as larger GT spoilers, that have little use on street-legal cars. It can also refer to neon lighting, large chrome wheels, or other primarily visual modifications that often might be defined as "gaudy".

Also, this word and it's different forms can be used in many different ways. They can be used as a verb, noun, or adjective. You can "rice up" a new car. You can own "rice" or be a "ricer". A car can be "ricey".

Hope this helps clear up the definition a bit. It's not just one or the other, it's actually both.
thanks for the extened version Nofx.... :P :D

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ugh. how did the "define the term ricer" discussion transfer from the mustang bored to this one?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
racing_kid_05 said:
thanks for the extened version Nofx.... :P :D
Just got tired of the back-and-forth, so I figured I'd do a little research on it real quick. Sure, words always start out with a certain definition, but often they grow to mean more than one thing, even more than one at a time. Really... all meanings of words are made up by someone at some point, so it's not fair to say the newer meaing is just "made-up". Being a more recently "made-up" meaning doesn't make it any less true of a definition.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RedLine42 said:
I bet these Fuel Sluts looked somthing like this...
HOLY s**t!!!!!!:shock: :shock:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!:rolf: :laugh: :lol:

Stop.......you're killling me HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I will say that in Robert(Slept-N)'s defense, 95% of the mustang owners in Richmond are assholes, maybe cuz it was the capital of the Confederacy :what: or somethin else, but i know even when i first got my car, i would get heckled pulling into my high school parking lot in the mornings and afternoons. Now to say that ALL domestic drivers hate imports is obviously a fallacy because there are those who understand the physics and potential and such of "rice burners" but in my own experience, those are few and far between. My dad had a Cutlass 442, my mom had nice Fox body Mustang, and then when I was 2 my dad bought an '89 Mercury Cougar Supercharged XR7 that he and i worked on a couple years ago to restore since there are about 100 or so left in the country. I have immense respect for American muscle, but I think one thing that the ignorant need to understand is that there is a new form of muscle that takes an equally impressive amount of mechanical knowledge to flex. Maybe this little rant of mine is being spurred on by the fact that some 16 year old, who's mommy and daddy decided that they should get their son a new Rousch Racing mustang, nearly ran me off the road trying to prove his testicular fortitude by getting me to race, but I don't know. I do know that I'm tired of the close-mindedness on both sides of the argument, and I just wish that people would learn respect for automotive power, whether it comes in a 1.8 liter inline 4 or in a 5.0 V8. Ok I'm done now...sorry for the long disortation.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Arcane Hayter said:
Cars I've owned

1985 Cheverolet Caprice Classic 5.7 diesel engine ftw!!!
did this ever run? Seriously. The worst all time engine. The block makes a good sturdy race engine once you put some 455 heads on it and convert it back to gas I guess but the 350 diseasel was a collosal POS.

Arcane Hayter said:
1987 GMC Safari Mini-Van
Shitty steering, two idler arms...otherwise pretty decent.

Arcane Hayter said:
1991 Cheverolet Baretta 4 banger (my first POS)
and another in the long list of worst engines ever. Plain steel freeze plugs that disintegrate in 30,000 miles and insta-crack cylinder head[/quote]

Arcane Hayter said:
1991 Nissan Maxima V6 (first foreign car, and it shagged ass)
"shagged ass" for those of you who don't speak Oklahoman, means hauls ass. :laugh: Just playing.

Arcane Hayter said:
1988 Ford Ranger (OMG, this thing was a joke)
Holy Smack! If You had the Cologne 2.9 (koln) you've had 3 of the all time worst engines. Throw in a Vega 2.3, Cadillac 4-6-8, and Cadillac 4100/4500 and you got them all!

Arcane Hayter said:
1991 Honda Accord 4 door 4 banger (first Honda car)
finally! something reliable.

Arcane Hayter said:
1965 Lincoln Continental 430 V8 4 (suicide) door
FTW! So you drive up the Kansas turnpike and snatch Nick Hexum's conti? :lol:

[/QUOTE]

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've pretty much come to the conclusion Beelzelbubba knows nearly everything about every car ever made.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Going-West said:
I've pretty much come to the conclusion Beezelbubba knows nearly everything about every car ever made.
:werd: I wish I knew as much as some of the other people on here.