my 1995 civic si coupe

mike woods

I traded my 2000 GMC Jimmy that I had spent a few years doing some work on and had it lowered 3" inches and some other small stuff for this 1995 Honda civic. Now I didn't really have a chance to look at this car before I got it n I had limited information and some cell phone pics that the guy sent me of it n a video of it running. I only knew what I was told about the car, it was a 1995 that was bought new by a buddy of his when he lived in Canada, and the kid blew it up by mid 96 then the car sat in a garage til 2013 when the guy bought it off him n took it north Carolina with him where it sat outside for 2 years n the clear coat was badly sun baked. he had put a 70 k mile D16Z6 motor in the car new clutch amd some minor upgrades such as a Comp cams stage 1 cam (from what I was told this has not yet been comfirmed) an AEM short ram intake, a header, a 2.5" inch exhaust with a megan racing muffler (which needs replaced due to the piping is all pieced and clamped together and leaks all over) a new clutch, a short throw shifter and some new fluids plugs filters etc. but being the civic lover I am i went out on a whim n said yeah I'll trade because he wasn't coming unless it was a guaranteed thing. The guy drove it here from North Carolina and it made it fine with no issues n I had a buddy of mine notarize the titles right here on the spot and we drove away. So I was a little paranoid and scepticle at first of the car as we both traded without even as much as a test drive we signed the title n drove away. So I got into the car n went to fire it up n nothing no power or anything, which turned out to just be a loose ground terminal thankfully. But I started driving down the road and it road smooth drove straight pulled surprisingly hard for a D16Z6 single cam motor. I got home n finally got into checking everything to realize thjs car has 9313 original miles no rust no dents super clean interior and in the greatest condition I have ever seen a 1995 civic n even better it was an si from Canada being that they never sold the si in the states in 92 to 95 being that it would of been an ex, n also I notoced that it has had never had any body work done, it was comoletely original, i worked at a bosy shop for years n im prettt good at finding any thing that has been repaired at one point or anothe, now he did spray paint the car satin black to cover the peeling clear coat but that's it. It does need some minor work n repairs but nothing that can't be easily fixed such as Windows go up n down slow so it will need new regulators installed and the sunroof opens half way and jams up n you have to pull on it for it to close all the way so I will need to repair that to n needs a few bulbs here n there. Now since I have got it I have found out a few more things about this car such as it is lowered 2"inches on H&R coil springs it has had new brake's installed all around n few other small things here n there but other than that mostly original. I got hella lucky on this find and think this has been one of the best finds I have had. Now since I have had it I have changed some things on it on the exterior such as a muegen type R front lip the red type R Honda hood emblem some red gtr wipers blade's red front n rear tow hook kits red front bumper quick connects red aluminum hood pins, red hood vent spacers, red front license plate relocation bracket since its mandatory that we have a front plate in Ohio and this car did not have one, a set of 17" inch tenzo R wheels (somethings I have not yet installed due to work I have not had time) a new black suede shift boot, and black muegen type R shift knob with red shift pattern, a sunpro sport ST tach, muegen power steering wheel, and did a 97 prelude front seat swap and installed a keyless entry remote start system on it. But have lots of plans for this car in the future such as rsx center console swap and an h22a4 swap with b series 5 speed tramsmission swap which I'm in the process of getting everything together for right now. Motor will remain generally stock except for a few bolt on parts such as throttle body, short ram, header, exhaust, UDP kit, light weight flywheel and upgraded clutch and stiffer front springs to support the extra weight of the h series motor. I think 200HP will be plenty in a 95 eg coupe so wont be doing alot to it engine wise, but I will post pics of the car as it progresses it will be put in storage for the winter soon, and come spring will be going to the body shop to be touched up and repainted satin black with a matte finish clear coat. Please let me know what you guys think so far and any recommendations you have. FB_IMG_1444934228334.jpg 20151015_124116.jpg 20151014_172659.jpg 20151014_172511.jpg 20151014_172606.jpg 20151014_172620.jpg 20151018_133952.jpg 20151018_134001.jpg 20151018_133931.jpg

Attachments

mike woods

20151014_172733.jpg
Pic of the d16z6 motor that was put in it
20151014_172430.jpg
Pic of the new shift knob and shift boot installed with the short throw shifter

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Damn that was a brick of words.

Congrats, now ditch those wiper blades and get some smaller rims.

Is it me or does the hood not quite line up?

mike woods

Thanks n No he tore the hole front end off when he swapped the motor n just threw it back together n didn't line anything up its also missing a few bolts such as the bumper is all zip tied on. Just a quick throw together so he could trade it. I actually like the 17"s on it. I think they look pretty good on it, n I like the stance it gives it. I had some 14" inch enkei wheels on it but I wasn't a big fan. I have some stock acura wheels I believe they are off a cl2.0 but i haven't tried them on it yet.

mike woods

OK so as I said above I plan too do a h22a4 swap on my car so I need to know if my parts list is correct or if some of my information is incorrect or if I am missing anything and would like input from anyone who has done this on a 5th gen before ad this is my first h22 swap

h22a4 motor
B series 5 speed lsd tran mission
B series lightweight flywheel
B series exedy stage 2 clutch
1992-1996 hOnda prelude obd1 h22a1 5 speed vtec ecu
Venom obd1 injectors
1992-1996 obd1 distributor
Eg d series to h series swap mounts
B series transmission swap mount for eg civic
1995 honda civic si factory wiring harness, 1997 honda prelude h22a4 engine wiring harness, and 1992-1996 honda prelude wire harness to make a custom wiring harness for engine swap
extend fuel line as it come from opposite side of car
Swap axles
1992-1996 hinda prelude header
1992-1995 honda civic short ram intake
1997 prelude radiator and slim mount dual fans
Radiator and heater hoses
Custom 2.5" exhaust
AEM adjustable cam gears n new timing belt set
AEM UDP kit
AEM fuel rail
AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator with B&M fuel pressure gauge
AEM fuel filter
AEM in tank fuel pump

Also doing a wire tuck on it while I'm doing the engine swap so some wires will need to be extended and shortened and battery will be relocated to the trunk and A/C cruise control will be deleted but I am going to try to keep the use of my power steering
If I'm missing or forgetting anything let me know any help planning this would be great as I would like to have all the parts before I Start the swap.

mike woods

Donor car for h22a4 swap. Plans later for a JDM H22A engine swap later on after the civic is all finished being that the prelude needs alot more work than the civic
20151015_151918.jpg 20151017_163522.jpg
20151017_165846.jpg

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK so as I said above I plan too do a h22a4 swap on my car so I need to know if my parts list is correct or if some of my information is incorrect or if I am missing anything and would like input from anyone who has done this on a 5th gen before ad this is my first h22 swap

h22a4 motor
B series 5 speed lsd tran mission
B series lightweight flywheel
B series exedy stage 2 clutch
1992-1996 hOnda prelude obd1 h22a1 5 speed vtec ecu
Venom obd1 injectors
1992-1996 obd1 distributor
Eg d series to h series swap mounts
B series transmission swap mount for eg civic
1995 honda civic si factory wiring harness, 1997 honda prelude h22a4 engine wiring harness, and 1992-1996 honda prelude wire harness to make a custom wiring harness for engine swap
extend fuel line as it come from opposite side of car
Swap axles
1992-1996 hinda prelude header
1992-1995 honda civic short ram intake
1997 prelude radiator and slim mount dual fans
Radiator and heater hoses
Custom 2.5" exhaust
AEM adjustable cam gears n new timing belt set
AEM UDP kit
AEM fuel rail
AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator with B&M fuel pressure gauge
AEM fuel filter
AEM in tank fuel pump

Also doing a wire tuck on it while I'm doing the engine swap so some wires will need to be extended and shortened and battery will be relocated to the trunk and A/C cruise control will be deleted but I am going to try to keep the use of my power steering
If I'm missing or forgetting anything let me know any help planning this would be great as I would like to have all the parts before I Start the swap.

Pretty sure you need a conversion pate to bolt the b series trans to the H series block and I thought the flywheel was not a b series, but a specific H-b due to flywheel depth and bolt pattern without spacers. You may also need a different half shaft and a spacer for the slave cylinder.

Unless you are going reckless with washers, I'd look for the appropriate parts.

mike woods

No Id much rather do everything correctly probably won't start the swap til mid spring so trying to get all my info correct before I buy parts I do not need.

Last edited:

mike woods

Finally got around to installing the sparco ebrake lever handle still need a ebrake lever boot for it still
20151019_114850.jpg
20151019_114814.jpg

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I traded my 2000 GMC Jimmy that I had spent a few years doing some work on (I had it lowered 3" inches and done other small stuff) for this 1995 Honda civic. I didn't really have a chance to look at this car before I got it. I had limited information with some cell phone pics that the guy sent me of it n a video of it running. I only knew what I was told about the car...
- it was a 1995 that was bought new by a buddy of his when he lived in Canada
- the kid blew it up by mid 96 then the car sat in a garage til 2013
- the guy bought it off him n took it north Carolina where it sat outside for 2 years n the clear coat was badly sun baked
- he had put a 70k-mile D16Z6 motor, new clutch, Comp stage-1 cam, an AEM short ram intake, a header, a 2.5" inch exhaust with a megan racing muffler (which needs replaced: piping is all pieced & clamped together and leaks all over), a short-throw shifter, some new fluids, plugs, filters etc.

Being the civic lover I am i went out on a whim n said "yeah, I'll trade" because he wasn't coming unless it was a guaranteed thing. The guy drove it here (???) from North Carolina and it made it fine with no issues. I had a buddy of mine notarize the titles right on the spot and we drove away. I was a little paranoid and skeptical at first as we both traded without even as much as a test drive. We signed the title n drove away. So I got into the car n went to fire it up n nothing. No power or anything, which turned out to just be a loose ground terminal, thankfully. I started driving down the road and it road smooth, drove straight, pulled surprisingly hard for a D16Z6 single cam motor. I got home n finally got into checking everything to realize this car has 9313 original miles. No rust, no dents, super clean interior and in the greatest condition I have ever seen a 1995 civic. Even better, it was an SI from Canada (EX in US) being that they never sold the EX in the states in 92 to 95. Also, I noticed that it never had any body work done. It was completely original! I worked at a busy shop for years & I'm pretty good at finding any thing that has been repaired at one point or another. Now, he did spray paint the car satin black to cover the peeling clear coat, but that's it. It does need some minor work n repairs but nothing that can't be easily fixed. The windows go up n down slow so it will need new regulators installed. The sunroof opens half way and jams up so you have to pull on it for it to close all the way. Also needs a few bulbs here n there. I have found that it is lowered 2"inches on H&R coil springs, it had new brakes installed all around, & few other small things here n there. I got hella lucky on this find.

I have changed some things on the exterior, such as a Mugen type R front lip, the red type R Honda hood emblem, some red GTR wipers blades, red front n rear tow hook kits, red front bumper quick connects, red aluminum hood pins, red hood vent spacers, red front license plate relocation bracket (front plate is mandatory in Ohio), & a set of 17" inch Tenzo R wheels (not yet installed due to work, lack of time). The interior now has a new black suede shift boot, black Mugen type R shift knob with red shift pattern, a Sunpro sport ST tach, Mugen power steering wheel, a '97 Prelude front seat swap, and installed a keyless entry remote start system.

I have lots of plans for this car, such as RSX center console swap, and an H22A4 swap with B-series 5 speed transmission swap, which I'm in the process of getting everything together. Motor will remain generally stock except for a few bolt on parts such as throttle body, short ram intake, header, exhaust, UnderDrivePulley kit, light weight flywheel, upgraded clutch and stiffer front springs to support the extra weight of the h series motor. I think 200-HP will be plenty in a '95 eg coupe. I will post pics of the car as it progresses. It will be put in storage for the winter soon, but come spring it will be going to the body shop to be touched up and repainted satin black with a matte finish clear coat. Please let me know what you guys think so far and any recommendations you have.
Man, what a trade deal this turned out to be. I hope you don't mind me cleaning up your organization in my copied reply to really highlight the interesting parts of your story and build potential. Its a good story. Anyways, you definitely lucked out on this trade. Congrats!

By the way, you likely don't need new regulators just because the windows go down slowly, unless they are found to be bent. Inspect and possibly grease the upper rubber channels and window tracks as dirt in either creates friction and impedes function. Also look into the inner and outer glass trims moldings. If the inner glass molding is damaged then the glass is getting resistance from the exposed rubber. You might be able to improve the roll-down speed with some simple cleaning and a lil' grease (Shin-Etzu grease is great).

So what is a "UDP Kit"? I couldn't find it in a search.

Last edited:

mike woods

Under drive pulleys. N I aleadY cleaned and greased them motors are just weak so I should just need to change the motors

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Under drive pulleys. N I aleadY cleaned and greased them motors are just weak so I should just need to change the motors
Ah. And thanks for the clarification. I'm looking forward to your progress. The only thing I'm not feeling is that huge tach as I like an integrated appearance. Is that an Alpine headunit? Any further audio plans?

mike woods

No its a generic head unit doesn't even say the brand I plan on putting a clarion flip up touch screen then need to do some dynamat work in it n going with a set of Rockford fosgate t1 6.5 components in the front doors and a set of Rockford t1 6x9"s in the rear after I repair the rear deck lid get a new cover n make some MDF speaker adapters for the reat as the previous owner butchered then rear deck in an attempt to mount some generic 6x9"s and destroyed the cover. Also I plan on wiring all speakers to a punch 300-4 amd then putting a ported single sub enclosure in the trunk and 1 t1d2 12 on a punch 1000-1 amp with a custom amp rack and red LEDs in the trunk but it's going to be a while before I get to the audio part of the car

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It must then be the crappy brand Dual, which copies Alpine. Why not just find an original rear deck panel in a junkyard? They tend to be easy to find and have enough clearance underneath for just about any 6x9 you want.

mike woods

It must then be the crappy brand Dual, which copies Alpine. Why not just find an original rear deck panel in a junkyard? They tend to be easy to find and have enough clearance underneath for just about any 6x9 you want.
That's what I'm planning 9n doing just haven't had time to get to the junk yard between working my 2 kids my pregnant fiancé and in the process of starting my own shop so. I Wil get to the junk yard as soon as I get a chance

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's what I'm planning on doing. Just haven't had time to get to the junk yard between...
  • working
  • my 2 kids
  • my pregnant fiancé
  • and in the process of starting my own shop
Yeah, you're excused. Take your time. Good luck with the shop.