My EK/Ej Civic HB rebuild to V6 powered 56k beware

FerioEk247

the nerd/geek
Since i love civic hatchback, and this car is in need of desperate TLC. i started stripping it and removing all the busted crap to be replaced with new or power conversion. removed all manual items such as windows, mirrors, climate control, etc. Then added all power item in its place. done light body work and removed the Honda cancer. added complete power steering system, ac system, new Viper Alarm etc. All mod and repairs were done in about 1 month. i pretty much work quick and i don't readily have a lot of free time. i wish i did though.

here the process...

when i first traded my Ferio Vi-rs sedan for this plus 1k from the person.

realigned the front end, added front and rear lip and grill, and slight body work. also added spoon/duckbill type spoiler

then primered the car all flat black. Also dropped in some DOHC VTEC for the time being..

Then started to prep the car so i can paint it. wet sanded and masked some stuff XD

cluster repainted to match GSR redline and carbon accents and Vtec light for kicks

Finished painting it! and letting it dry at the moment

painted valve cover and Vtec solenoid, also partial engine bay, door jams, and trunk jams are painted too

letting it sit outside to sun dry

next to my old car i traded the hatch for

Then i added some carbon wrap to the car for some accents

Carbon accent door panel and Marvel "lol im a nerd haha"

NRG steering wheel setup "colors match car", and lower rear subframe brace

so this is how it sit for a month or so. all work completed in 1 month... i work very fast lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----Moving on to J32a2 V6 LSD 6MT

After a month or so, i started doing some research and finding out more info on J swaps. not a lot of info was out there for the public. there really scattered all over the place. There is a lot of hush hush people out there and not willing to share info to help the j swap community grow like D, B, H, K series. So i decided to let all the info for this swap for free and help V6 powered civics, integra etc more into the scene.

So October 20th 2011

Just made payment on a 2003 Acura cl type s full change over "true manual"

heres the complete parts list on what i bought from the complete change over

Complete parts list

-J32a2 true manual engine 88k miles
-Uncut engine harness
-6 speed LSD transmission w/clutch, pressure plate and flywheel >
-starter
-manual ECU
-Instrument panel/cluster "with connectors to and from ecu"
-power steering pump w/lines hard and soft
-a/c compressor w/lines hard and soft
-Alternator
-All engine sensors
-butterfly control box
-OEM catalytic converter
-complete headers. "Top and bottom"
-Plastic intake manifold covers
-key and ignition
-shifter box/floor shifter and cables
-half shaft
-axles

Bought all complete change over for $3150 Shipped, sold my GSR setup for $2000, so i am actually spending $1150 for the changeover.

also just bought a addition upgrade/replacement stuff which is optional.

-new OE pressure plate and clutch set "$201 shipped optional"
-OE timing belt, water pump kit "$167 shipped optional"
-Hasport Motor Mounts EKJ2 $494 shipped
-Hasport Axles EGJAX "integra, civic, are all the same "Confirmed by Hasport" $269 shipped
-Aftermarket headers "cheap ebay $99 shipped "
-OEM Type S trunk emblem "$16 shipped"
-Custom made Civic Type S side decal >: ) "$15"
-tranny fluid $15
-motor oil and filter $15
-Intake pipe and filter $30

update

just Purchased a....

-2009 Honda Accord J35z2 Intake Manifold for uber cheap $91 shipped car-part.com
-P2R adapter and thermal gasket $111.13 shipped

after extensive research and comparing the two intake manifold

2009-2010 Acura TL SH-AWD J37 intake manifold and Honda Accord 2009-2010 J35 iVtec. They are very similar "pic below i made to show similarity's between the two" and checking everything it should bolt up. we will see once i get it in. as for saving big on the Intake manifold and not paying extra for the Acura logo lol.

Info what i researched below hope it help others
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Diagram from honda/Acura
Top is the Acura TL SH-AWD 3.7 09-10
Bottom is the Accord EXL 3.5 09-10

as for real pictures

Accord 2009-2010 Intake manifold J35Z2

side view

Throttle view

the is the one i bought

Acura TL SH-AWD 2009-2010

Side view

Throttle view

so yeah, pretty much the dang same :cool:.

im still trying to get all the other Intake manifold "j32a3, j32a1, J30a1" measurements and etc. So i guess im going above and beyond to help the jswap community with my own money haha lol.

anyways, my friend was nice enought to trade me his EG/EH engine cradle and front lower control arms for mines. Instead of cutting a big hole in my EK/EJ.

October-31-2011, just got the engine today with all the goodies attached. also receipts too. still waiting on my Motor mounts, 09-10 Accord EXL intake manifold, P2R adapter plate, P2R Thermal intake manifold gasket, and new full coil overs.

yay!!! :D

LSD Transmission ^.^

side view, lol see the other J engine back there. J32a1 sold to my friend

Headers, axles and all the power steering fluid, motor oil, oil filter, manual tranny fluid "in the box", coolant etc.

J32a2 sexiness :D

overall inspection, the engine look very clean from the outside for being 88k miles. no oil leaks or what not. Going to check the timing belt, inside valve cover etc. Most likely going to change out the water pump, timing belts and tensioners. Need to install new clutch and pressure plate.

-also got my ECU, key and ignition for the immobilizer, cluster clear plastic was broken . so either buy a new one or make one. no biggie though.

11-1-11
just got my intake manifold off 09-10 accord yesterday. the P2R adapter plate and thermal gasket should be here Wednesday. My motor mounts, inner and outer tie rods, and EG/EH rack and pinon should be here today. whoot!!

before,

cleaning it up and masking to paint

after

going to paint my valve cover same as flat black or red. don't know yet., lol an hour later finally got my Motor mounts in. bought them from Oct 16, 2011, and now just got them. sheesh!

EKJ2 mounts

The motor mounts themselves

almost there!! getting closer to drop this baby in my EK/EJ ^^

still waiting for
-inner outer tie rods
-P2R Thermal gasket
-P2R Throttle adapter plate
-full coil overs

Things need to be done
-Do wiring on Engine harness
-Do wiring for CL-s cluster

after that then everything is pretty much a go.. :DD

11-3-11

ok just sharing a funny pic. i found a kitteh on the hood of my car sun bathing lol

anyways

got the Yonaka Full coilovers in "front and rear". Cant wait to try em out and give some feedback.

also got the civic inner and outer tie rods for the EG/EH power steering rack. Since ill be using EG/EH engine cradle/subframe.

-only thing left is the P2R intake manifold thermal gasket and Throttle body plate adapter.

Then the hair pulling part. wiring.... this will be fun @_@

11-6-11
]ok i woke up around 9 and went over to my friends. Since my engine is being kept there for know. As for updates, i have removed all of the misc hoses, OEM motor mounts, re-route the hoses, and other fun stuff. Also installed some of the new EKj2 motor mounts. Still got to buy a drill bit and thread kit for the transmission motor mount.

Took off and compared the Intake manifold's.

The Accord EXL is shorter "intake to runners" height. I measured about an 1 1/2 inches shorter then the J32a2 manifold. i need to make sure and remeasure it. i was pretty tired after installing the full Yonaka Coil overs.

any ways prepping it to get the new intake manifold

and now installed. Once i get it up and running ill try and get some dynos :D.

Also anther update, I'm going to scrap the jumper harness idea and straight hard wire it.

ill keep you posted.

11-8-11

lol beside my retarded title, I've started the wiring process. No jumper harness, all going to be hardwired. Since i had time to go pick up my ECU, cluster, key and ignition from my friends house. Also went to the junk yard and picked up male and female o2 sensor plugs, passenger side green plug for interior dash stuff, still need to pick up spare shock tower plugs.

only reason i am buying extra plugs is to not chop my current harness, since it is my only car and my daily. So getting everything done and ready to drop in and fire up is my plan. Hopefully everything goes to plan.... hopefully

Here's what i gather, and what needs to be done.

my progress so far

-wire up Cl type s ECU "E" plug
-Wire up green plug "C131" for dash/cluster
-wire up Shock tower plugs "C101 & C102"
-wire up/repin CL type s cluster to civic cluster
-wire up key and immobilizer to ecu
-wire up secondary o2 sensor "plug and play"
-wire up DLC "data link connector" port closer to ecu or hidden "optional"

11-11-11

ok got most of the wiring finished, still tying up a few loose ends, like Shock tower plugs, what what not. i went ahead and bought some tools to tap and thread the transmission.

center punch, 1/8 drill bit, 3/8 drill bit, and tap/re-thread kit.

if everything goes as planned. ill start the swap next weekday/weekend.

also going to make an extended transmission mount. The Hasport trans mount seems like its been half'ed arsed. i don't trust the two bolts, compared to B series, 3 on top, and two on bottom. Especially since this engine is alot heavier. lol

bought some clear plastic to repair the cluster plastic clear piece. maybe lay some carbon fiber on the bezel.. maybe.

also trading my rims for some 17' ones, apparently the ones I'm trading for is JDM wheels, will confirm when i trade. ^^

keep you posted :D

Last edited:

FerioEk247

the nerd/geek
11-14-11

Monday ill be working on replacing the clutch and most likely timing belt and water pump, tapping and threading the transmission. Also working on the wiring as well.

Here's some info on some plugs/connector names. These are one to need to be wired.

-- A lot of this info is scattered, so i am posting all in one place to help the ease of searching and what not. if pics are small click below at the "Attached Thumbnails" for bigger pics, enjoy.--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03 CL type S, J32a2 Manual ECU/ECM Plug Pin out

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drivers Shock tower plugs C101 & C102

Acura CL C101

Acura CL C102

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
C131 Green plug by Passenger side "runs to cluster, etc"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J32a2 Manual Cluster Pin out

Link to Manual and auto Schematics "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Civic Ek/Ej shock tower c101, Done some more digging, since alot of this info is not disclosed in the forum.

reading the Engine diagram, G101, and G202 are chassis ground

PGM-FI meaning/description, the empty slots can be use to wire in the Immobilizer light, VSS etc.

1. empty
2. empty
3. empty
4. empty
5. empty
6. GRN Fans - "E" plug?
7. BLU/RED A/C related - "E" plug
8. GRN/ORN MIL LIGHT! to gauge cluster. - "E" plug
9. BRN mil code light connect to DLC - "E" plug
10. WHT/BLU constant 12V source to the ecu "VBU" "A" plug
11. 3' BLU - RPM/Tachometer? - "E" plug
12. empty
13. empty
14. GRN/BLK backup lights
15. YEL backup lights
16. GRN/RED connects ecu to ELD - "E" plug
17. GRN/WHT connects brake switch to ECU - "E" plug
18. BLU/WHT VSS signal to the cluster - "E" plug
19. BLK/RED A/C system - "E" plug
20. GRN/YEL to main relay for fuel pump- "E" plug
21. LT BLU to Data Link Connector "DLC aka Service Connect signal" - "E" plug?
22. BLU/ORN Signal to tell the ecu that the key is in the (III) crank position, engine is cranking "Starter signal" - "E" plug

11-15-11

So after doing alot of research and reading, this is what i gather. Here are the pinouts for Civic 96+ c101 plugs and where the wires should go on the Acura Cl type s C101 and 102 shock tower plugs

Civic 96-98 maybe 2000? c101 plug 10 pin "shock tower plug"

Pin-------------description------------- Color
10-------------Ignition 1-------------Black/yellow
9-------------Starter wire-------------Black/red
8-------------Ignition 1-------------Blue
7-------------Gauge lights?-------------yellow/green
6-------------Charging System-------------White/blue
5-------------PGM-FI?-------------yellow/black
4-------------G101 "ground"-------------Brown/black
3-------------Oil Pres light-------------Yellow/red
2-------------G101 "ground"-------------black
1-------------Fuel pump"srs"-------------Black/yellow or Black white

Acura Cl type S C102 10 pin

Pin-------------description-------------Color
10-------------Ignition 1-------------Black/yellow
9-------------Starter wire-------------Black/red
8-------------Ignition 1-------------Black/yellow
7-------------PGM-FI-------------yellow/black
5-------------G101/G202 ECU Ground-------------Black

Acura Cl type S C101 14 pin

Pin-------------description------------- Color
14-------------Charging system-------------White/blue
8-------------Gauge lights?-------------Blue/black
5-------------"G101" Logic Ground-------------Brown/yellow
4-------------Fan Control-------------Green
1-------------Oil Pres Light-------------yellow/red

So far this is what i have got and yea, let me know if theirs any errors ill correct them.
if i labeled something wrong feel free to correct my mistake thanks
ill keep you posted in more updates on my build to follow. :D

update!!

just a pic of the intake manifold plastic cover on the new intake manifold. you can clearly see how much shorter it is from the Stock J32a2 manifold. Just look at the top manifold cover. anyways just some more updates

Here's things what I've got done so far

-wired up Secondary O2 sensor "but need to convert catalytic converter plug to civic"
-wired up Secondary DLC
-wired up Key & Immobilizer
-wired up Power steering pressure switch plug "mine was cut"
-wired up Shock tower plugs
-wired up Tachometer
-wired up Reverse lockout

-wired up C131 interior plug "runs to ECU and "E" - Manual or "A" - auto ECU plug

--re-routed IAT since new intake manifold don't have hole for it.

Still need to do
-Convert catalytic converter o2 plug to civic
-install clutch
-install timing belt and water pump
-run Immobilizer light wire to cluster
-run ECT wire to Cluster
-Tap transmission for motor mount
-wire up cluster "only when motor is in the car"
-re-wrap harness with black electrical tape.

Cheat sheet for wiring harness auto and manual setup coming soon :D

11-16-11

Ok two days of wiring and got it all figured out. Just finished wrapping everything up today. So ill be starting my j motor swap this Friday, freaking excited!!!!! HELL YEAH!.. lol

Once everything is up and running i will make a easy to read DIY on making auto to manual and true manual engine harness. Got most of the 03 Cl type s cluster/instrument panel figured out as well. once all wired up and confirm it works, i will also post DIY for it. it will be universal, just cross reference to EG, DC etc.

Anyways... here's the things i got hooked up. here's some pictures

-Converted Cl secondary o2 sensor to civic style plug
-made some quick connect/disconnect wires for starter switch signal, ECT "Engine coolant temperature", and Immobilizer light.
-Secondary DLC "data link connector"
-C131 plug
-secondary o2 sensor
-power steering pressure switch plug
-Converted CL "C101 & C102" shock plugs to Civic "C101" plug
-original Key and ignition: Immobilizer switch disable/enable
-"E" plug "obviously lol"

Trimmed some of the plastic, still need to trim more to sit more flush.

front, need to glue my new H emblem on the plastic piece n.n

side

lol just going with something different. My hand made Civic type S decal. Call it rice or what ever. it still my car at the end of the day. I'm just accurately portraying what in the car :D enjoy

11-18-11

so the swap has begun. First i prepped alot of stuff to ready the swap.

Changed out the old clutch with new one.

removing the old one.

installed new clutch and bearing.

removed old headers and partial installed new ones.

Transmission mount installed and ready to rock!! added some lock tight piece of mind.

also started wiring the cluster as well. oh man.. so tired @.@

shot of the GSR being torn down for new motor.

also added the H emblem :D

beside prepping, i got the GSR fluid drained, axles removed, A/C, and radiator removed, shifter, ecu, etc.

So really close, tomorrow ill be removing the engine. cutting hole for shifter cables, installing V6 ENGINE!!!! > : ). ill keep you posted.
[/CENTER]

Last edited:

FerioEk247

the nerd/geek

11-20-11 almost my birthday

today i stripped everthing that of the gsr out to be ready to be pulled.

ready to be pulled.

Bye bye GSR, it was nice knowing yah lol

so before i started swapping my jswap, my friend with and EG/EH civic, traded me his subframe/engine cradle. it so cold out side lol.

I did not want to cut my subframe/engine cradle. if you want to go this route all you need is,

-engine cradle
-all bolts
lower control arms.

any ways got the EG/eh engine cradle installed with new tie rods boot.

so its 12:00am and i finally got the engine in and looks soo sexy @_@

nothing hooked up yet, still need to get the last tranny motor mount bolt in. The axles, bolt up shift cables, shift box, adjust coilovers, finish cluster wiring etc... anyways enjoy!

11-21-11
it fired right up and runs like a beast!!!!

11-22-11
after rerouteing the CL type s power steering lines, clutch lines, secondary o2 sensor wires etc. draining and replacing all the needed fluids. it runs! first start sounded like Lighting macQueen lol

This car literally scared the chit out of me XD!! getting bigger rims tomorrow like 17's for extra clearance.

here some pictures of the cluster working. removed the ABS, and SRS light since i don't use them. Also NO CEL or MIL light at all! whoot! and no i did not remove the bulb or de-pined them.

here's the cluster at night, taken by my camera phone.

ill post more pics of the car and engine, and video of it running :D

also the OEM hood closes when i cut the inner skeleton out with still room to spare from the new intake manifold "accord EXL". i gave my old OEM hood to my friend, since he been nice enough to trade his engine cradle for mines. so i am using my second hood i bought.

oh yeah, when driving and hitting VTEC, OMG! it freaking screams, and tires just spins like crazy! also got my CL type S catalytic converter installed. Decided to go out side and take some pictures. also ill for got to take some engine height pictures from the fender and ground clearance. will post later as well. enjoy

will post video up of it running soon when i have time to upload it. laterz

total swap time, doing everything myself. 2 days worth of wiring, and 3 days of actual swapping.

11-23-11

more pictures, also painted the Intake manifold plastic cover to match my car.

the hood i bought for $45, might modify it to look different... maybe..

pic of ground clearance, using EKj2 highest setting with lowered 2009-2010 Accord intake manifold

side view of how much it stick up

will post video up soon :D

11-27-11

anyways back on subject, ill post some ground clearance when i get home. But anyways heres a video of my car in action.

My J32a2 civic hatch Video, click image to watch

11-28-11
here my CL-s cluster, modified the turn signal, and made a custom gauge bezel and carbon wrapped it. I also switch out the regular bulbs to LED ones, also added red LED outside cluster lights.

adding LED's

put back together

installed with trimmed civic cluster trim.

cluster lights turned on, and red LED cluster outside light

Stealth mode, cluster red outside light turned off

will post cluster how to when i get it all cleaned up and easy to read.

11-29-11

since this hood was so cheap because the driver side corner was damaged. So i done some repair work today and about 30 minute to do.
since i am going to carbon wrap once its finished. enjoy :D

Damaged area sanded down a bit more to let Bondo adhere

Layered on some bondo

3 step sanding process done

Finished with some gloss black for now. ran out of gloss black lol. but wont matter since i am carbon wrapping it.

also bought traction bar setup, 3 point strut tower brace, 6 speed shift knob.

Things i want to buy, racing seats, get rear seat reupholstered, GSR disc brake conversion all round.

12-5-11

i bought a traction bar kit, and new 3 point engine strut tower bar thingie lol..

got the strut tower installed, still need to install my traction kit. also i removed the power steering, and done the loop method with reservoir instead. not much different in steering for me. haha

front view

side view

12-5-11

ok so i finally got most of the tweak stuff out of the way. i have this wired up in my Civic hatch and have no problems. so i took some time and made a picture to where the wires should go from civic harness to the CL type s cluster. Reason to run the CL cluster is to have the ECT "engine coolant temp", RPM, and speedo to work without buying other stuff to make it work/ or mods. i only hook up what i needed since i have a manual. hooking up auto shouldn't be that bad. so yeah anyways...

i have figured it out myself and sharing info for all to know instead of keeping it to myself like some people.

enjoy :D

i also upgraded my cluster to L.E.D lights instead of regular type bulb

installed in my civic ek/ej and working

lighted up/stealth mode

here's the "DIY/how to" for the wiring CL type S cluster into EK/EJ civic. as for integra and older civics can cross reference. if you need the HQ pic email me or send me a msg.

link to sort of better pic

enjoy the free info ^.^
---------------------------------------------
total swap cost for minimum "no optional items
-complete changeover $3150 shipped
-Hasport axles $269 shipped "ebay
-Hasport motor mount $494 shipped "ebay"
-engine harness done by me

$3914 total

-$2000 sold GSR swap
-$400 sold J32a1 motor
-$100 custom EK cluster
-$100 OEM J32a2 headers sold

actual total $1314, saved $2600

----------------------------------------
total swap cost for minimum "with optional items
-complete changeover $3150 shipped
-Hasport axles $269 shipped "ebay
-Hasport motor mount $494 shipped "ebay"
-engine harness done by me
-new OE pressure plate and clutch set "$201 shipped optional"
-OE timing belt, water pump kit "$167 shipped optional"
-Aftermarket headers "cheap ebay $99 shipped
-MT tranny fluid $15
-motor oil and filter $15
-2009 Honda Accord J35z2 Intake Manifold for uber cheap $91 shipped car-part.com
-P2R adapter and thermal gasket $111.13 shipped
-Intake pipe and filter or fab one up $30

$4642 total

-$2000 sold GSR swap
-$400 sold J32a1 motor
-$100 custom EK cluster
-$100 OEM J32a2 headers sold

actual total $2042.13, saved $2599.87

all in all, its been 16 days and still car is still running strong and no MIL or CEL. it is worth all the time and money for this V6 :D

Last edited:

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**king awesome. i want one

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
videos sick, but only pic I see is the shock tower thing. Get it fixed up. over 200 hp and 200torque must be a beast to DD in a civic shell haha.

Decipher

Registered VIP
mad props for doing all that wiring... arthritis is in your future. The car is sick.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
So now you will sell whole setup for 10 dollars thats all I got lol that little intake looks funny but its defintely nice

FerioEk247

the nerd/geek
So now you will sell whole setup for 10 dollars thats all I got lol that little intake looks funny but its defintely nice
well if someone was ever selling one for 10 dollars. i would be jumping on that like a lion on to a gazelle. but yeah I'm in process of making a custom intake, instead of the short stubby one.