My Engine Died

Imran Khan

Hi everyone.
Greetings from Bangladesh.
I have a Honda civic EK3 with D15Z4 motor. The other day while driving, my RPM dropped to zero twice and the engine died. Had to tow the car back to garage. On diagnosis, no spark was found from any of the spark plugs. Just to be sure, I replaced the distributor with a good one. Still no spark. Spark plugs and wires are new. Fuel pump primes when ignition is on. All fuses are ok. CEL was on for the last few days and I did not get to check them before. After the incident, I checked and found 3 CEL codes by sorting the diagnosis port. Code 1, 14 and 19, that is, intake air temperature sensor, idle air control valve and transmission lockup control. But none of these should cause the engine to die like that. Any idea what might have happened? Any suggestions and guidance is appreciated. I dont have a manual with me and this is my first car.

Regards ....
Imran

PS: My distributor has seven pins. Any idea what the 7 pins are x60F96ZxamM.jpg for ?

Imran Khan

Hi boofoo. Timing belt is ok, ecu codes gone after reset. What next

Imran Khan

I am sorry i missed that part. Its 1997 JHMEK3 with Simple fuel injection. It has P76-902 ECU with only A and D connector. I even checked 5 volts reference signal from the ECu D connector to all the sensors

Imran Khan

I havent removed the cap of the new distributor yet. I checked all those with my old one. I will do the ohm test and let u know. I am guessing you wount be online when i do that. What should be my next step after the ohm test

Imran Khan

One more thing, i havent found anything on the 7 pin distributor on the net. Can you give me any information on the wiring? I measured 12 volts on pne of the wire, 5 volts reference from the ecu on the wire for the tdc sensor. Rest 5 i have no idea pf

Did you buy a whole new distributor that includes a new coil and ICM?
I didnt buy one, i borrowed one from the mechanic. He said its good. I didnt check the coil or ICM myself

Last edited by a moderator:

Imran Khan

Ok sir, i will check the ICM and the coil of both the distributors. I checked 12 v on the bl-yl wire. 5V on the Orange-blue or blue orange, i dont remember exactly atthis moment. This is for the TDC sensor as per the ECU pinout. Yl-green didnt give any reading with the connector removed, this must be the return line?

Last edited:

Imran Khan

Ok, i will do that, if i can find an ECU ever. It's hard to get honda spares around here. I will keep you posted. Thank you very much.