My engine is probably dead

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I was driving from St. Louis to Chicago yesterday and my car broke down. I was pulling on the highway so I was accelerating to about 65-70 and my car wouldn't shift, it's an automatic. The car revved to 6k and stayed there for about 10 seconds then finally dropped down to 3k and started making a loud grinding and knocking sound. It sounded like I was dragging something, I thought (hoped) maybe the plastic guard under the bumper came loose so I pulled off on the shoulder immediately and looked and nothing was hanging down. I was able to start the car again and the noise started I popped the hood, no leaks or overheating or any visible damage, the next exit was a couple miles down so I attempted to crawl to the exit on the shoulder at about 10mph and the car died when it hit 3k. I was able to start it again drove a little further, maybe a half mile and it died for good. Any ideas on what I could have done, D16Y7 with Y8 head.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anyone?

m1tanker

COMBAT VETERAN
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
jumped time? which timing belt was on your mini-me? isn't 3k rpms "safemode" but hey look on the bright side d series motors are pretty cheap

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It was a Y8 timing belt, yeah d-series are cheap but we'll see. I might try to go B20 or something, I might just scrap it too. The body isn't in the best shape, nothing major but a lot of dings. I lost my job about 3 weeks ago so money is tight.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just pulled the valve cover off and everything looks good, the timing belt appears to be in good shape. I tried turning the crank over and it won't go, it feels like it is hitting something, any ideas?

civic0918

Registered VIP
ahh man that sux i feel for ya. It wouldnt of been so bad if you had warning signs prior to this. Thats just a sad story man. I hope your luck gets better.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I guess the next step is to take the head off and see what that reveals

m1tanker

COMBAT VETERAN
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dropped valve?......coulda somehow sheered off a rod cap? if it wont budge then yeah thats bad news man..... it always happens when it can hurt you the most. i feel for ya