My First Audio Project, help needed

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So, I'm in my electronics lab right now and I got thinking about how I have my 4 speakers from my car that i got rid of sitting in the garage still, and wanted to put them to use. So I asked my lab teacher if I could make an enclosure for the four speakers, run the speakers to an amp and car stereo, and power it alll off a deep cycle marine battery to use in my room for my computer or xbox. Basically a sound system that I can proudly say I built. I've been reading up on the internet on how to build speaker boxes and stuff like that, but I'm confused on where I should start. Should I build the system first before making the enclosure, and if so what materials do I need? I know I'll need an amp, wire, the battery, and other things, but I just need to know where I should start. I'm really interested in this, and it will help me take my electronic knowledge further.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd say work on building the box or boxes, however many you want to build. because that will be the "hard part" the rest should fall into place, it just a matter of wiring it up

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ahh, okay that's good advice. Basically what I wanted to do was have two different enclosures, each with 1 4" on top, one 6.5" on the bottom, and then the amp and stereo in a separate box. I wanna keep em as low profile as I can, but I want them to sound good too. I'm gonna go look around for some MDF this weekend, and some other stuff. I wanna get a good amp, but not pay too much because I'm on a strict budget here.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just saying but you might want to keep the amp out of the box, because they generate quite a bit of heat... like put the build a box for the stereo but then attach the amp to the side of the box, just so it gets some ventilation. as far as what brand of amp to get the first amp i had was a single channel SPX audio one that came with a sub set that I got at pep boys and then the one that came with my car which is an older 6 channel pioneer that sounds really good

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Make sure you draw out diagrams before you buy or build anything. Measure the length/width/depth of your speakers / amp / tweeters / whatever you're putting in or on the box. Then draw up a diagram with exact measurements of all of the things you measured and figure out what the box measurements will need to be so that you'll have adequate space in between components and that everything will fit. Also measure the place in your room that you want to put it and make sure your diagram will fit fine in that place. Keep in mind that you'll want a nice open spot for the amp so that heat doesn't build up (in other words, don't stick the amp in the box, or in between the box and the wall).

After you've got it fully diagrammed and planned out, then you can go and buy the materials and get the exact dimensions you need. Most boxes are made of wood. From there, you can decorate the box however you want to blend with the speakers, or compliment whatever your room looks like.

Just make sure you put time into planning and diagramming. This will save you time, money, and corrections in the long run.

EDIT: While I was typing this, speeded beat me to the point about amps heating up. Well played sir... well played.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did actually start drawing some diagrams up and researching a lot while i was at school. I see what you guys are saying about the amp heating up. I totally forgot about that. I have a 6 foot clothes dresser that my TV and Xbox sit on. I was planning on putting the enclosures on each end tto us with the TV, and then run an audio cable for my computer from the stereo. My electronics teacher said iif i wanted to instead use the 110v line instead of a deep cycle marine battery, I'd have to forfeit the amp and use the stereos built-in amp. I do want to uuse an amp though, and i have a battery charger in my garage so consuming power shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going to need a way of keeping that battery charged. Won't last for long depending on the size and amount of speakers, plus the draw of the head unit and amp.

DoubleJ

Ditch the amp idea and use radio power, MDF is what is used for speaker boxes but its heavy, get a battery tender for a motor cycle or garden tractor that you can hook up the terminals to charge.