My first honda/ slow build

steve.21

I am new to the site and have a 97 civic lx. I bought the car back in Aug of 2010 and recently just started building it. when i bought the car it was stock. Here is what it looked like when i first got it

here is what the car looks like now

I want to change the rims, lower it about 2 inches, and change the headlights. Along with add a cold air intake, strut bars and other parts(will have engine bay picts. up soon)
I do not have have alot of money so it will be a very slow build
I am open to ideas and construction criticism

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Another sedan, yes!! Like the changes so far, do the drop, get some rims & the other things you listed & you will be good, welcome to CC!

Jlpz88

Registered VIP
welcome to cc good start just browse around and grab ideas and run with them

Decipher

Registered VIP
Very nice base. Take your time with it... do not cheap-out on parts, especially when you address your suspension.

Haha, I had that same exhaust tip on my car before I got the real deal. BTW that's one of my favorite factory paint colors. Welcome!

rayaccord101

Registered VIP
Welcome to CC very nice start. Just remember save up money and buy quality parts try and stay away from ebay, they do have good parts you just have to search really good for the name brand stuff lol.

bigboy106

welcome to club civic, nice base car..like others have said good plans so far, itlll look dope in no time..dont cheap out on parts etiher..but other ideas i got are possibly tow hook?? or even oem fog lights? all your opinion but those are cheap upgrades that look good.

steve.21

I was thinking about the fog lights too, but do not know where to put them in the fuse box. Also how crappy are the 50 dollar (including shipping) going to be, because i dont want to have them break right away. and i might wait on the tow hook untill the car is further along. Also, i have been thinking of getting some black diamond cut mesh (about the same size of grille holes) and putting it on the lower area of the car where the fog lights would go, then cut out the space needed for the fog lights when i do get them. My worst fear would be if i did that to make the car look like crap..

civicspencer

Registered VIP
I was thinking about the fog lights too, but do not know where to put them in the fuse box. Also how crappy are the 50 dollar (including shipping) going to be, because i dont want to have them break right away. and i might wait on the tow hook untill the car is further along. Also, i have been thinking of getting some black diamond cut mesh (about the same size of grille holes) and putting it on the lower area of the car where the fog lights would go, then cut out the space needed for the fog lights when i do get them. My worst fear would be if i did that to make the car look like crap..
You get what you pay for, no gun on the tow hook, also look around and find out what's rice and what actually looks good and I think you'll be ok

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877303,-99.509390

steve.21

here are a few updates on the car. I got new speakers all around and now and the black housing headlights

i like the way this photo looks

then after i washed my car, i found out that one light was not sealed... at all so after sealing them with rtv and finding some water spots on the inside of the lens I will be able to tell if it worked the next time it rains. Next im planning on geting the intake then probably the strut bars.

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
The car looks nicer with the black housing lights! What kind of suspension are you planning to get later on?

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just my two cents sense we are all talking about not being cheap on parts, and i saw some one list tow hooks,

if you DO get tow hooks, dont get those shiney "jdm" aluminum ones that some in ever color under the sun, there is a reason that your stock ones are made of steel, because they will have to support the full weight of the car and possibly more (sense if your useing them something obveiously went wrong lol) so actually buy some real ones that are made to be yanked on,,, that way if you ever do need them, it wont break and leave you looking like a doofus.... not to mention stuck were ever it was your trying to get out of,

lol sorry about the simi random rant :welcome:

i really like that color, and the wing, i have been compenplating taking the wife into a ek sedan as family / hang with friends car, sense 4 doors is easier then my hatch lol

steve.21

I really have no idea on what kind of suspension to get. For sure I am not going cheap on the suspension, but at the same time i will not be able to afford the nicest. i am hoping to get a steady income and not buying and selling for higher on ebay before i really look into it. and when my school semester starts, if i remember ill post a video of how much the suspension squeaks on the speed bumps.
And on the tow hooks, if i do get them, it will probably be after the suspension. And i would hate the have them break off at (literally) the worst possible time. Thanks. And one of my friends had a 97 civic dx coupe, and that thing was hard to get in.

emerican

Registered VIP
Looks alot better with the headlights man.
also agree with 95ctr about the tow hooks get a legit one if you want one.

steve.21

As it turns out I might need a new suspension a lot sooner than I was planning.
I was driving home and about 1/2 mile away I felt a pop and the wheel moved right (not a jerk but enough to move it) and about 200 feet later it happened again. I get out and check everything over and nothing was wrong then went home. I got to the driveway and then when it started to go up it made a groaning noise that I never heard before. I look stuff over better and there was a plastic piece that is tucked up from the bottom of the bumper now sticking out some. I tucked that in and went up the driveway again and it did not happen. But I don't see that causing that type of groan and the wheel moving when it popped. Also the drivers side is about 1/4-1/3 inch lower than the passenger. Any ideas??
I really don't want my car to be slammed on one wheel only

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:hi:

I'm not the biggest fan of that grille though...