Need an idea of where to start

Jhickz07

I'll start off by stating that I'm fairly new at working on cars. I've done some minor things like changing pads, rotors, oil, and a starter once. I have always wanted to work on cars and I figure my 1999 Civic EX is a good place to start. I would like to slowly upgrade just about everything on the car. I'm looking for suggestions on where to start. I'm not worried about the body right now because it is in pretty good conidition besides the clear coat peeling on the roof. I've thought that I should start with the suspension because my front subframe is rusted out on the passenger side where the swaybar bushing mounts. I've found a replacement subframe for 110 on eBay. Is that a good place or is there somewhere else I should focus for now? This will definately be a slow process because I'm saving up for each part.

daperez13

Respected
Kudos man! You'll come to find out that you'll be saving tons of money by doing the work yourself and the added bonus of learning along the way. Sure, you'll probably mess some things up here and there and no doubt get the case of the bloody knuckles but the reward is satisfying.

Suspension is a great start - plenty of parts to upgrade and one of the things a lot of novice doers overlook. When done properly, the car will have better handling overall and a more aggressive stance.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck.

Jhickz07

Visit the junkyard for parts, and download the 96-00 Civic factory manual that you can find by searching this site.
Thanks for the info!

Kudos man! You'll come to find out that you'll be saving tons of money by doing the work yourself and the added bonus of learning along the way. Sure, you'll probably mess some things up here and there and no doubt get the case of the bloody knuckles but the reward is satisfying.

Suspension is a great start - plenty of parts to upgrade and one of the things a lot of novice doers overlook. When done properly, the car will have better handling overall and a more aggressive stance.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck.
Ok good I'll definately start there and keep you all updated!

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Suspension is a great place to start but make sure you handle all the standard maintenance as well including all the fluids. Feel free to look through the thread below for ideas. A great riding suspension wont mean much if the engine or tranny fail.

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-better-mpg.215664/

Make sure to browse alot through the forum as there is a large wealth of available noted experiences and knowledge.