Need HELP/ADVICE: '93 Del Sol S Driver Side Door Handle Replacement

n00bHonda

New to the forum and Hondas in general. Currently I am trying to replace the door handles on my '93 Del Sol starting with the driver side door due to the fact that I cannot open it and need to crawl through the passenger side :evil:

I have purchased the replacement handle and was almost done when I hit a small snag I was hoping someone can help me out with. The following is how far I got:

What I need advice/help with is removing the handle from the bar that pulls the lock. It looks to be a threaded bolt but I'm not sure how to back it out with out breaking it since I need to reuse it. I'm talking about the following part circled in red:

The collar around it is made of plastic. I can spin the full part off threads but can't get it off the old door handle to use on the new one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pop it out of the plastic piece. I would suggest replacing the plastic piece also. Its kind of a one time use deal.

n00bHonda

Pop it out of the plastic piece. I would suggest replacing the plastic piece also. Its kind of a one time use deal.
Yea I may need to end up breaking the plastic to pop it off. I found part#72136-SR3-003 for the part so I may just take a drive to see if the local dealership has it in stock before going past the point of no return lol.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it can be done if you CAREFULLY pry the plastic tabs away. I've also just unthreaded it from the bar, but that's a lot more time consuming, and difficult to maneuver

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Like stated above, you need to unthread it. That's the way i did it. then just pry off the plastic piece.

n00bHonda

I was able to unthread it from the bar since the door handle is broken the hinge swings pfff the handle itself. I'll try to pry the plastic away and pull out the bolt/pin. I ordered the part from Honda just gotta wait till Thursday for it to come in so if it breaks I'll have a replacement handy.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2