Need Help(lots of it)

oldcivicguy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok I am new to the import scene. i just got a 88 honda civic and i was wondering if i would drop in a vtec engine straight in or would i have to do some mods to my transmission(4speed auto) or motor mounts or anything at all. The engine in it now is in good running condition but i need lots of power. I also own a 72 nova ss wit a holly 4brl carb with a 396 so when i hit the gas i want to go. Also i keep seeing these B16 engines what are those and could u please tell me more bout them and vtecs. Any constructive info would help lots. Thanks

bolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well it all depends on how much you can spend on your car and it is realy up to you on what you want to do with it once you get started. Start with research, read, and experment(almost like learning how to have sex) :D if you are as new as you say you are, a B16 is a newer more powerful Duel Over Head Cam motor which means that you would have to swap your old one out and would require alot of time and money. Most ppl normally find a local performance shop and would install a cold air intake system and an exaust. Some good brands for intakes are Ingen and AEM
Also for exaust i would recomend GREDY and AeroSpeed
DO NOT..... I REPEAT..... DO NOT LET SOME ONE SUCKER YOU INTO BUYING A STRAIGHT PIPE BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP NOMATER WHAT MUFFLER YOU USE AND IS A COP MAGNET YOU CAN HEAR IT FOR MILES

13hybrid20

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A B16A has 160HP 110TQ they rev very well. Good starting point. I would not waste your money on intakes and exhaust's by the time you make any power out of a sohc motor you will have spent more than the cost of a B16A.