Need help relocating climate control.

digital

Certified audio installer
Anyone on here ever relocate their climate control to fit a double din stereo in the dash? That's my plan but i'm having a little trouble and concerned that I may break the climate control pullies and so fourth. Any advise or pointers would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
naw man, in a 92-95? the dash is made for a single din radio. thats not even a option. i had a double din in my 99 cause it can accept one, 92-95 your f'd

2nd what do you want a double din for? they are useless. if its cause u want 6 disk changer just get a old school cd changer and mount it in the trunk

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
naw man, in a 92-95? the dash is made for a single din radio. thats not even a option. i had a double din in my 99 cause it can accept one, 92-95 your f'd

2nd what do you want a double din for? they are useless. if its cause u want 6 disk changer just get a old school cd changer and mount it in the trunk
I have seen custom installs of them in the original radio spot. The climate controls need removed and the holes from both that and the radio need to be highly modified to accept a double din. WE are talking about fiberglass and filler kind of custom. It isn't like you can just cut a bigger hole and drop it in. Double din shape is different so it has to be molded in.

Most people just keep the climate control up top and mount a double din in the optional lower radio console. Hard to find though and very expensive if you do. I sold mine for over $300 when I parted out the car before the wrecker took it because the market was so high. The lower console has long been discontinued from Honda so it would need to be sourced online or from a junk yard.

BTW these climate controls are a pain in the ass to relocate due to them having cable controls. You can't bend or modify the cables and they have to be almost perfectly straight. They are very rigid cables too so there is only one option to move it and that is down to an option lower console. Either that or kiss your ac/heat goodbye and remove it completely.

Curious how a double din is useless though? Most all new cars come with them and if they don't there is an added upgrade to put them in when the car is built. They are also very popular aftermarket as well.

P.S. No one uses CDs anymore. They are becoming obsolete. Most everything is digital now, but double dins are still very popular due to having a screen that you can watch tv/movie/videos/etc on and for having a NAV screen. NAV is the single most add on that people request now a days when building/picking a car, at least here at the dealer ship level. If it doesn't have it, people want it retrofitted or an aftermarket unit put in that has it. To get a functional usable nav unit you need double din.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
most flip out tvs are not double din anymore, they are small enough to be single unless your getting a 2001 flip out tv. they are pretty much useless, and yeah its "possible" but im talking stock and not having to modify with fiber glass. And lets be real here, this guy isnt gonna take his 90's civic to a dealer and have them modify his dash for a navigation unit.

And i still use cds, and still buy em, sounds better imo.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
and good luck finding the lower console and not spending a hunk of change on it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I forgot. Just because you don't like something means that it is not plausible or it shouldn't be done. :lol:

No one was talking about flip out units. Those are 10 years out of date. Technology has moved on to double dins. Look in a stereo shop show room or best selling units on places like crutchfield. Nav is in. Digital is in. Just because there are guys like you that can't let go of old technology doesn't mean the rest hasn't moved on.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Brotha. I know your flexing your mod muskles, but we are talkin about a 90s civic and last i checked, thats also "out of date tech" we aint talking audis and porshs. This is a civic and they wont fit unless you buy a lower deck or blow your dash apart . thats what im getting at here. But at least you finally saw things my way in the first part of your book response.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Has nothing to do with being a mod. It has too do with a member more worried about being the club civic a*****e and ruining his rep by actually helping out. God forbid you actually post something positive for once. Everything is gay, stupid, ugly, useless, etc. Gets old dude.

When I get to a computer I will post pics showing it has been done. Who are you to say op isn't willing to put the work in to make it fit? No one knows that but him and he asked how to do it. Let's actually help him shall we? Or do you want to keep up your rep of shooting people down?

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looked like an honest point of view warning to me... But what do I know about relocating climate control? :what: I would have paid someone to do it for me since it seems like a task I wouldn't personally take on myself. Now if he wanted to eliminate it, there are easier ways...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mounted up top, this one doesn't actually look like that much fab work was needed. HVAC controls mounted in the optional audio console.

Bunch more fab work, but not impossible. Especially if you know how to work with fiberglass.

This was mine during my ricer phase over 10 years ago. Bad picture, but you can see the HVAC controls located in the bottom console.

A lot kid that used to work here had a 5th gen LX sedan and he cut out the radio and HVAC section to put in an Ipad. He made a fiberglass pocket and used a magnet from an apple cover to hold it. I used to have a pic on my old phone but can find the dump files from when the screen got busted and I needed to get a new one. He mounted the HVAC controls just like mine in a lower console.

The lower audio consoles are hard to find but not impossible. Just have to keep an eye out. There are a few on ebay for sale, both over seas but they are available.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The HVAC unit mounted in the lower console look out of place.
It looks much better, like it's where it's supposed to be, the other way, with the screen in the lower console