need help to troubleshoot 2000 d16y8 engine

dtong_ck

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My civic is 2000 SI with D16Y8 engine. I have a trouble code 9 or P1381. I reset it and it comes back after a couple of days.From the shop manual, the code means the CYP sensor(cylinder position sensor) intermittant interruption. Has anyone have this problem before and how to fix it? TIA.

RockintheEKoupe

Icantbelieveitjustbroke!
5+ Year Member
You have a D16Y8 in a Si? Thats the first problem.

nicoalex2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
canada si has a y8

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you need to replace the Dizzy. there is no go gettin new parts on that. once the CPS goes. the dizzy is done. you get a new one and there will be no more code. the haynes maual will tell you the same thing. they say for a CPS replace the distributor.
one more thing...you said its a code P1381? if thats the case..then this page...CLICKY says that its an ittermittent problem. that to me sounds like a bad connection maybe? or a wire came loose somewhere between the distributor and the ECU. if it was a P1382 then it says no signal. that means bad sensor. in any case. you should replace it anyway. you cant replace the sensor. you have to replace the Dizzy.

hope that helps

and the canadian SI like stated above is the same as the US EX. they have the SiR with the B16

dtong_ck

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the reply. I saw on Ebay there is used distributor for sale for US99.00.It is from an 2000 EX model. If Si in Canada is the same as EX in US, the distributor should work,right? I have not checked the price for a new one here. It is hard to find used one in here. I did check the sensor and it is 428 ohms.and within spec. I have yet to check the wire from the sensor to the ECU.

dtong_ck

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I havd changed the distributor and ECU and the problem still come back. I did checked the wiring from the distributor to the ECU and it seems ok. Anyone has more ideas of this problem. By the way, the MIL blinks 9 times so I consider it a code 9. Could it be a code 90? How does the MIL flashes a code 90. Code 90 is Fuel evaporation problem and I do smell some gas vapour occasionally. Thanks.