Need help with 95 Civic: Short in fuse 19 tail/dash lights circuit

caswell239

hey, i got a 95 civic 4dr, about a month ago the taillight/dash light fuse popped so i threw another 10a in and it blew about 2 weeks ago, now it blows as soon as i turn the lights on. I disconnected all for taillights and tried it, (testing to see if the short was in the taillight wiring) still popped. i have no idea where to start looking. so my question is what is all on the tail/dash light circuit? Thanks in advance!!

Chad

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Since your fuse is blowing when you turn on your lights , as indicated in test#2...
...You probably have an open wire, or a problem with your combination light switch

EBFoolery

i blew a fuse for the dash/taillights... i replaced the fuse last week and everything worked fine... just today though my dash lights/taillights dont work again. the fuse is still good but i believe i have a short circuit somewhere..how would i go about fixing this or what should i do?

caswell239

im gonna go try these test and ill let you know how it works out

caswell239

alright i tested the combination switch and it seemed to be all good. but i cant test #2 and #3 on the controller because it need a fuse in and the combi switch in the on position but i blow a fuse everytime i turn it on..

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, then you probably have an open wire....Check the wires for a bare spot grounding out or a bad connection....

RonJ

Banned
A common location for such a short is in the Red/Blk wire that provides back lighting for the radio, especially if it is an aftermarket installation. Check that.

Which taillight connectors have you disconnected?

caswell239

alright so heres the diagram, it goes threw the underhood fuse, then to the switch, THEN to #19 fuse, which is the one that blows when the switch is turned on. so the short has to be from the switch onwards anywhere fromt he switch to all the parking lights dash lights and license plate light. (i disconnected all the taillights and it still blew so i know its not the tailights them selves.) i have a long search ahead of me, thanks for all the input thus far.

RonJ

Banned
alright so heres the diagram, it goes threw the underhood fuse, then to the switch, THEN to #19 fuse, which is the one that blows when the switch is turned on. so the short has to be from the switch onwards anywhere fromt he switch to all the parking lights dash lights and license plate light. (i disconnected all the taillights and it still blew so i know its not the tailights them selves.) i have a long search ahead of me, thanks for all the input thus far.
The short must by definition be downstream of fuse 19 in the circuit.
This rules out the switch and the wire between the switch and fuse.

The general approach to locate the short is to disconnect components after fuse 19, as you have started to do.

How far upstream of the taillights in the circuit have unplugged a connector?

The next logical components to unplug are the radio and heater control panel. The specific wire to pay attention to is the Red/Blk wire. Do you have an aftermarket radio or have you done any work behind the heater control panel or dash?

caswell239

there is an aftermarket radio i didnt put in and i foudnt he red and black wire and the end of its tapped up and i held the end in my fingers and tried it and it blew so its not the end. i notice the wires run behind the speedo so im gonna try and pull that out (stuck at that point) and check the wires behind there, the taillights i just disconnected at the pigtail for the lights, is there connectors else were?

caswell239

alrtight i narrowed it down!!!, got the speddo out and disconnect those two plugs, the clock and hazard switch. the lights work!! fuse didnt blow, i plugged in the dimmer still on, so im gonna continue to plug things in until it pops so i know the culprit, so obviously its no wiring cuz its currently holding. brb update in 10 mins

caswell239

well i plugged it all back in and it worked.... so i never found what was causing it. so until it goes again were good,t hanks for all your help!