Need help with engine/turbo

r_digittie

i have a 92 hatch that has a b20 block with b16 head that i recently bought from a friend due to it sitting in his garage for the last 8 years under a cover and i was needing some help. It has built internals with 10.0.1 pistons and i left it that way to see if i liked the way the car performed but upon me getting that car to run the sleeves were warped a little from it over heating years ago but i only installed new pistons and not sleeves. I left it with the 80 shot of now but my mechanic said that if i plan on turbo the car that i would have to re sleeve. I now like the way it feels turbo so i was looking to re-sleeve the motor but what I'm finding out is that most people don't re-sleeve the b20 so i am coming to you folks for a bit of advise on what to do? I was thinking of contacting darton but they don't work on those blocks? any help would be great on what bottom end or what direction to go?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i have a 92 hatch that has a b20 block with b16 head that i recently bought from a friend due to it sitting in his garage for the last 8 years under a cover and i was needing some help. It has built internals with 10.0.1 pistons and i left it that way to see if i liked the way the car performed but upon me getting that car to run the sleeves were warped a little from it over heating years ago but i only installed new pistons and not sleeves. I left it with the 80 shot of now but my mechanic said that if i plan on turbo the car that i would have to re sleeve. I now like the way it feels turbo so i was looking to re-sleeve the motor but what I'm finding out is that most people don't re-sleeve the b20 so i am coming to you folks for a bit of advise on what to do? I was thinking of contacting darton but they don't work on those blocks? any help would be great on what bottom end or what direction to go?
unfortunate for you theres no way around this, b20 stock sleeves are known to crack even as stock spec. Honda actually had service bulletin of it for the CRVs back yrs yrs ago in hte late 90s/early 2000

you might as well just get the block sleeved and you'll never have to worry about that stuff and you can make nearly infinite hp

Last edited by a moderator:

r_digittie

Well that's what I wanted to do but I went on darton website seeing how they are in town and they don't resleve b20 blocks so I was curious if someone knew why? I also understand that the factory warranty did get extended to 120k. I'm will to resleve and lower compression but I want to make shore I'm not throwing money away due to me needing to change later

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Well that's what I wanted to do but I went on darton website seeing how they are in town and they don't resleve b20 blocks so I was curious if someone knew why? I also understand that the factory warranty did get extended to 120k. I'm will to resleve and lower compression but I want to make shore I'm not throwing money away due to me needing to change later
you can try other companies. or local machine shops.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Plenty of people have made decent reliable power on stock b20 sleeves. If the engine is in good shape (which with yours who knows because it sounds like it's been beat to death) with a proper tune the sleeves aren't going to be the first things to let go. If you're wanting to pony up with aftermarket sleeves there's:

Golden Eagle
ERL
Brian Crower is making sleeves now too

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Plenty of people have made decent reliable power on stock b20 sleeves. If the engine is in good shape (which with yours who knows because it sounds like it's been beat to death) with a proper tune the sleeves aren't going to be the first things to let go. If you're wanting to pony up with aftermarket sleeves there's:

Golden Eagle
ERL
yea but not with 120k miles with wrapped sleeves. b20 can make decent powers on stock sleeves but its more of a ticking time bomb(hit or miss) that can just go bad and blow up on you at any given time. i know same amount of people who had great successes and those who didn't and just ended up cracking the sleeves at the top(weakest area of open deck type sleeves) and all the main explosions happen up there.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP

Golden Eagle
ERL
Again, you get a s**t tune and you crack sleeves. Right tune and other things lets go first, especially if when people rev the piss out of them.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Again, you get a s**t tune and you crack sleeves. Right tune and other things lets go first, especially if when people rev the piss out of them.
yes but you have remember some of these cracked sleeved in stock form with stock factory tune its honda had made a service bulletin of it, those that had cracked sleeves had the motor replaced for free at the dealer at the time.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Yeah, you have to remember that it's a service bulletin and not a recall, and of course the simple thing to do is replace the engine. That's always cheaper at the dealer. Anything can happen to a new vehicle, all manufacturers have new cars grenade motors. You think that never happened to a Civic or an Integra?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah, you have to remember that it's a service bulletin and not a recall, and of course the simple thing to do is replace the engine. That's always cheaper at the dealer. Anything can happen to a new vehicle, all manufacturers have new cars grenade motors. You think that never happened to a Civic or an Integra?
yea had someone crack the block ona 09 civic ex

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
B16s were having that same issue, the same service bulletin goes for the CRV and Civic of the same year. Basically blanketing all B series motors. So it's safe to say that if your car made it through the warranty period without that issue, it isn't one of the ones that will have that issue and it most likely a manufacturing defect and not a design flaw.

r_digittie

ya i hear you my buddy over heated the motor and two pistons cracked at the top and i am assuming thats what caused the sleeve to warp only at the top the bottom and the mid part of the sleeve has perfect gap between piston and sleeve but then they reach the top thats when you get play and i am getting blow bye and my mechanic said that would happen because it is warped if i decided to go turbo and not keep all motor and nos

r_digittie

even if i get another motor i will need to resleve it and change the pistons so i can boost more and not worry about it.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
ya i hear you my buddy over heated the motor and two pistons cracked at the top and i am assuming thats what caused the sleeve to warp only at the top the bottom and the mid part of the sleeve has perfect gap between piston and sleeve but then they reach the top thats when you get play and i am getting blow bye and my mechanic said that would happen because it is warped if i decided to go turbo and not keep all motor and nos
turbo produced x2-x3 the cylinder pressure then in stock N/A form we mostly have "open deck" blocks the top of the sleeves is where there is least amount of materials is so cracking and breakage happen of that area first @xxBLOOD88SHOTxx it happened to few civics, but the b16 still had better/higher chances and broke less then any crvs did in the past, crv had the problem happening more often. cncwerx make custom block guard for 650hp and under thats a precise fit requires machining to the block they have it available for all blocks except the all the b20 owner/users didn't get warranty like you get with all other blocks against sleeve cracking. they' only offered the service and the product cause everyone was demanding for it. b20 have monosleeve cracking at the same spot. don't get me wrong my brother had b20 in his 4dr integra for 6yrs which he sold last yr. but the facts about the b20s are true 100%% tried and proven by all high end shops and machine shops and nearly 50% of the community. but since your sleeving the block so it doesn't even matter or apply to you at all.