Need help with interior painting and what color should i go with?

Mrod209

Hi I have 2004 Honda civic Dx sedan, unfortunately, the interior is brown with a cream type color. I dislike the color interior. How would i go about painting these panels, dash, and other pieces? What color should i go with? My exterior color is green. Can anyone please help? Really would appreciate it. Plus where I'm from i really don't have much people who are into working with vehicles like i am. :P
Please and thank you!

Jose1027

Registered VIP
I would say go with black,just make sure you do it right or else its going to start peeling,im going to do the same thing to mine but im waiting till summer:(..anyways i have heard great things about the SEM line of paint

Mrod209

Ya i was thinking of just black. and ya one of my buddy has a mustang and painted his, but his interior smells like paint and straight up keeps peeling. To be honest, it looks like crap.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most of the time, painting the interior does not turn out well. It can be done but you need to be selective about what you paint and what you use. I personally would not paint any of the soft pieces like door panels and upper dash. I'd replace those with black OEM panels from a junkyard or something instead. The soft material is going to be the most prone to cracking and peeling because it's soft and can move. I've used Krylon semi-flat black spray paint on hard plastic interior pieces and was pleased with the result. I'd recommend using a grey primer beforehand and using a few very thin coats until you get an even finish.

Mrod209

Alright.
Thanks a lot.
I'm going to look and see if I can find some panels and dash in that color.
If I can't I'm going to try removing the original paint l, sanding it down slightly, or not.
But I will primer it and then paint it black.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright.
Thanks a lot.
I'm going to look and see if I can find some panels and dash in that color.
If I can't I'm going to try removing the original paint l, sanding it down slightly, or not.
But I will primer it and then paint it black.
Removing what original paint?

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd replace those with black OEM panels from a junkyard or something instead. .
This.

Every interior paint attempt I've seen has ended up flaking/cracking and all-around crappy. See if you can't spend the cash for the panels. Better finished product in the long run.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Judging by the physical feel of the finish of certain interior panels, it feels less like paint and more like a different material. At least on the 6th gen... The 8th gen dash feels more like plastic.

Like it's been said, you'll be better off just replacing the whole piece with the color you want.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did mine following this write up..

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=84194

I used the same primer, paint, and vinyl paint. I didn't ever do the dash or door panels. Sold the car before I got the chance. But I did do vinyl inserts that were in the rear panels and they turned out good. I used Dupli-color vinyl and fabric paint. Gloss black.

And Honestly it's worth the extra time and money to buy black interior panels. My car reeked of paint for the short while I had it after painting the interior (carpet included) and I'm kind of glad I got rid of it because it was turning into a lot of touch-ups and headaches. Plus the constant head buzz driving down the road.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Color changing interior by painting it can be difficult, if it is NOT prepped and cleaned right, it will only flake and fade off.

Most durable bet, buy the right color panels.

Mrod209

Dang.
Ya I just dnt want the hassle of always doing touch ups and having the smell of paint in my car.
I guess I'm going to have to look for some oem panels in the color I want.
Does anyone know of any online places where I can buy them?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dang.Does anyone know of any online places where I can buy them?
You can get parts from:
Good old slavage yard, your local dealer, eBay, Craigslist, other Honda forums classifieds sections or anyone of the array of Honda parts dealers

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/PartsSearch.jsp

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts.php

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/?gclid=CKnC6OPM160CFSgBQAodwUcXtw

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/genuine_honda_parts_catalog.htm

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
use plasti-dip on the interior
i've seen some pictures of them doing the interior
and good thing is if you dont like it you can just peel it off after about 4-6 hours

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I painted some of my interior and its not bad, however I got a black dash out of another car. I would suggest that if you paint pieces you only paint parts that wont be touched too often, or leathery parts rather than hard plastics. Unfortunately my car (95 sedan) only comes with black interior pieces from japan so the only thing that I could swap over from a coupe/hatch was the dash. I suggest finding the panels black but I used SEM landau black pain along with their prep and sand free and its turned out real good. Only place that started to chip was right by my left side cuz I tend to throw my seat belt off and the metal part kept hitting my side plastic that i painted, just had to get a little more careful so now after touch up its fine.