Need help with suspension setup

Vohlaars

Hey guys. Im new to the forum and need help with my setup. Few months back i bought my first car, its a '00 civic dx 2dr. ive done some work on it and now with summer approaching its time to figure out my tires and drop. i got the car with a set of 17" 5 zigens imported from japan. i know 17 are a bit big for a civic but i think i can pull it off. the question now is has anyone tried dropping the exact same car with 17 and 205 40 17 tires? im planning on buying some coilovers if i can get em cheap if not just lowering springs. what kind should i get so i can go with no rubbing? thanks

techavluis

Registered VIP
i am using TEIN with 205/45/17 on a 94 civic 4 door (-1 on the front tires)

Vohlaars

yeah i was planning on dropping a bit more like 2 inches maybe. you think ill be able to do that? my tires are 40 a bit smaller than yours tho are civics generally sitting at the same height? like lets say your 94 civic sedan compared to my 2000 coupe both stock, would they be sitting at about the same height? what about rolling fenders?

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Trade your 17" s for 15"s .

techavluis

Registered VIP
my feeders are rolled. and i am not sure. when i dropped my car i dont know how much. i just went down till it looked cool and then moved up little by little till ribbing was gone. lol

as for 15's, i wouldnt put 15 on my civic even if someone give me some. i like 17

Vohlaars

i like the look of bigger rims especially when white haha i heard that 17 with 40 tire arent much bigger than stock 14 with 65 tire so i shouldnt have a big problem. i think ill go with eibach lowering springs. what do you guys think?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i like the look of bigger rims especially when white haha i heard that 17 with 40 tire arent much bigger than stock 14 with 65 tire so i shouldnt have a big problem. i think ill go with eibach lowering springs. what do you guys think?
Not in over all circumference but it looks retarded with an oversized wheel in a small wheel well. Big wheels look absolutely ridiculous in little cars like this. I guess if you like the donk look...:roll:

Vohlaars

Lol well the question wasn't so much about what kinda wheels you think look good I was asking if they will fit with no rub haha how low I can go like I said they're legit jdm 5zigens so I wanna give em a shot, can always trade later

techavluis

Registered VIP
Not in over all circumference but it looks retarded with an oversized wheel in a small wheel well. Big wheels look absolutely ridiculous in little cars like this. I guess if you like the donk look...:roll:
another person that can't play nice online.... who made you the master of the "donk look"? I have 17's on my civic and i will tell you 100% it doesnt look dunk to me or many others. lol, let me guess.... you into JDM? lol, so funny. i love it

Last edited:

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
lol ricers. just slam the thing, and raise it up till you stop rubbing. only way to pull off 17s is to go low on them.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
other person that can't play nice online.... who made you the master of the "donk look"? I have 17's on my civic and i will tell you 100% it doesnt look dunk to me or many others. lol, let me guess.... you into JDM? lol, so funny. i love it
LOL. So an opinion other than your own is "not playing nice"? This is the internet and an open forum.

Someday you will stand back and realize that a wheel that big doesn't actually look good in a wheel well as small as the ones on civics of this generation. It's ok, it's happened to most of us. Just like those that think that trashy euro l.e.d. tail lights actually look good, then they wake up one day and look back and wonder, "WTF was I thinking"?

No, I don't like JDM. I live in the United States, not Japan. I also don't blindly follow trends like I did when I was younger. You will end up here as well some day. Trust me. Been there done that. I had the body kit, the ugly euro tail lights, the retarded useless wing, the big wheels. Luckily it didn't last.

OP, only way to find out for sure it to try it and adjust from there. If you want to go really low 17's aren't going to be an easy feat without modifying something.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im thinking about getting coilovers but with my budget i could only afford used ones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lj1GXgjBu0 thats what 17 look like with eibachs. is anything bad gonna happen if i dont get shocks?
What do you mean don't get shocks? As in just put the springs on your stock shocks? You will be fine for a little, but they will eventually blow.

techavluis

Registered VIP
LOL. So an opinion other than your own is "not playing nice"? This is the internet and an open forum.

Someday you will stand back and realize that a wheel that big doesn't actually look good in a wheel well as small as the ones on civics of this generation. It's ok, it's happened to most of us. Just like those that think that trashy euro l.e.d. tail lights actually look good, then they wake up one day and look back and wonder, "WTF was I thinking"?

No, I don't like JDM. I live in the United States, not Japan. I also don't blindly follow trends like I did when I was younger. You will end up here as well some day. Trust me. Been there done that. I had the body kit, the ugly euro tail lights, the retarded useless wing, the big wheels. Luckily it didn't last.

OP, only way to find out for sure it to try it and adjust from there. If you want to go really low 17's aren't going to be an easy feat without modifying something.
Your opinion has nothing to do with the fact of you "not playing nice" its the fact you started to call out names (retarded, absolutely ridiculous, and the donk look) with your opinion that made it not nice after the fact of both Vohlaars and I saying we like the 17' look. Hell, Vohlaars even said in his first post, i know 17 are a bit big for a civic but i think i can pull it off. So why be a d**k about it.... Also, i dont like your flip out screen or your face plate on your gauges. (thats an opinion) But if i say, your cheap ass 100$ flip out and your ebay face plate, thats still an opinion but a d**k one. So all i am saying is when someone likes something to them its nice. So if you want to put down something that someone else likes.... Dont be a d**k.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your opinion has nothing to do with the fact of you "not playing nice" its the fact you started to call out names (retarded, absolutely ridiculous, and the donk look) with your opinion that made it not nice after the fact of both Vohlaars and I saying we like the 17' look. Hell, Vohlaars even said in his first post, i know 17 are a bit big for a civic but i think i can pull it off. So why be a d**k about it.... Also, i dont like your flip out screen or your face plate on your gauges. (thats an opinion) But if i say, your cheap ass 100$ flip out and your ebay face plate, thats still an opinion but a d**k one. So all i am saying is when someone likes something to them its nice. So if you want to put down something that someone else likes.... Dont be a d**k.
You seriously need to get some thicker skin. :roll:

$100 flip out? Hmmm. That was a $600-$700 head unit when I bought it. Still selling for over $300 last I checked.

Oh wait, you were just trying to make a point. Right?

Look, if you want to rice out your car. Do it. You want big wheels. Do it. You want useless non-functional parts. Do it. You want JDM, EDM, CDM, etc. Do it. Your money. At the end of the day, you are the one that has to deal with it and in the long run spend more money to do it over again when the fad dies out or your taste changes (which it will I guarantee it). You want opinions don't post pics or descriptions of your car on an internet forum. I would absolutely tell you the same thing to your face if you came up to me and asked me so no, it isn't the fact that I am sitting in front of a screen miles a way. I don't know you anymore than some guy walking down the street so why walk on egg shells just in case you can't handle the word ridiculous or retarded? d**k wording? Maybe, but I am not going to change just because some dude on the net gets easily hurt over words.

LOL. I can only imagine how you would fly off the handle if I told you what I thought about YOUR car....;)

Last edited:

Vohlaars

i got a guy who wants to trade my 17 for a set of hammerheads, 175/65/15. if i slap some 2.5 h'r springs on it i should clear no problem right?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got a guy who wants to trade my 17 for a set of hammerheads, 175/65/15. if i slap some 2.5 h'r springs on it i should clear no problem right?
With that size and small if a drop you shouldn't have a problem as long as they aren't some crazy offset.

Vohlaars

hammerheads are stck wheels for 64 gsr i think so if there stock the shouldnt have any crazy offset. thanks man