need help with tranny, urgent!!!!

blazinrex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the other day i was driving along mcdowell in Phoenix when i stopped at a light i then kicked it into nuetral, when the light was green i shifted into 1st and it grinded. this was a week ago and has now gotten so bad that first is pretty much obsulete. i dont use it. does anyone have any ideas what it could be. i already had it on ma buddies lift and the linkage is tight. so could it be a shift fork?
need help soon.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
could just be bearings or the gear itself is shot.

blazinrex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
could just be bearings or the gear itself is shot.
im really hopin its not the gear being shot. im flushing and droppin the tranny 2morow to inspect the forks.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
can't flush a manual, just drain and fill, but if you have a single cam cable trans then just get anohter used one in better shape, IMO>

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Pretty much like Jspec said. Wear can come in many ways. But most of teh time it from abuse. So my question to you is. How much abuse do you put your car through. Be truthful or I cant help you.

Does it do it all the time? Will it not stay in gear? Does it engage at all.?

You have to supply us with a few more details besides "1st Gear grinded one day" . You say its obsolete so I assume you mean 1st dosent work at all. No engagment at all.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
it's turbo'd, so yeah he does abuse it, lol.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
blazinrex said:
im really hopin its not the gear being shot. im flushing and droppin the tranny 2morow to inspect the forks.
If it was your shift fork malfunctioing then you would be having problems with more than 1 gear.

jspeczcturbo said:
it's turbo'd, so yeah he does abuse it, lol.
I take it your guys know each other.

stolle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
can't flush a manual, just drain and fill, but if you have a single cam cable trans then just get anohter used one in better shape, IMO>
tru dat, d-series trannys can be had for cheap, if it grinds while your trying to put in first your shift forks are prolly ok cause they are still trying to push the collar to engage 1st your syncros could be really shot, or your clutch cable is really loose, easy way to check if your cable is adjusted correctly put in a gear other than reverse with the clutch still to the floor take it out of whatever gear your in and try and put in reverse if it grinds you need to adjust your clutch...

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
take it your guys know each other
he showed us pics and mod list a while back of his car.

blazinrex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heres the truth becuase this is seriuos, yes i rod on it but i dont tease the turbo or anything like that. sometimes with the shortshifter i do tend to miss a gear trying to shift fast. ive done a clutch test and clutch is good. it grinds once in a while, some times it meshes with the gear sometimes not, more often not. it doesnt slip out while driving as in when it does actually ingage it stays put. but its the hole getting into gear that sux. when i try to put it into gear it feels like it locks in but it doesnt lock in.