need help

DxHatchGirl

ZC for the time being!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok im trying to paint my car either an olive color or yellow, but i can only afford to spray paint it

An i was told to sand it all the way down with 100 grit an then spray it white. After that then spray my color. But i hate the rough feeling of spray paint, is there anyway i can make it smooth?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
satin black =) smooth and nice feeling and looks real nice..especially if your choices are limited to rattle canning

DxHatchGirl

ZC for the time being!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i found a green in a rattle can that i liked but i want it to be smooth

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
thats going to be hard lol

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well the first thing you can do to make it smooth is take it to a 400 grit before painting.

then you can make sure that you prime it and maybe sand it again before you put the color coat on. of course, no matter what you do, a rattle can will still spray it differently from a good gun. you could also get spray clear. and throw on a couple layers of that before a final wetsand.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look on duplicolor.com they have a paintshop series if you have access to a compressor then do that then they also have a line of auto body rattle cans with how to videos and what not. the key with spray cans is that you really need to take your time leave all the cans of spray in ice water to keep the paint more dense and shake the can after every 1-2 minute of use...i just painted my lip to match my silver em2 and it turned out pretty good. best bet would be to chose a non metallic color. olive is such a cool color go for that...

remember this though prep work is about 85% of the job

edit*** heres how i did my lip sanded down with a coarse grit...primed with plastic primer youll use some kind of autobody primer....then i wet sanded with 320 grit lightly to make the primer smooth....then 2 medium coats of paint...waited an hour then 2 light coats and 1 heavy coat of duplicolor clear coat