Need my cel

AJP

Hey guys, new here but can't find any threads with my problem. My 99 civic dx 300k+ won't start without cel on. For years I had to smack left side of dash if it didn't stay on to start. Then it started stalling periodically. Replaced main relay and light stayed on. Has been good for over a year. Then I went on vacation for over a week. Now cel turns off after initially turning on the key. I have crank no start. I was thinking battery. AZ said it's good. Thought maybe main relay again, $64 later...nope. I've got spark. Sprayed starter fluid in TB, no change in crank. I here fuel pump priming. I have checked all fuses. Tried the so called cel reset. As silly as it sounds I feel it has something to do with cel not staying on. Any thoughts would be appreciated since this is my daily for work.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Honda had a recall on the ignition switch several years back. Break out your multimeter and test for battery voltage at the starter solenoid while cranking. You should get value equal to battery voltage. If none, then check for voltage at the ignition switch, this will require taking off the plastics around the steering wheel.

As for the CEL, what is the code?

Good luck and let us know.

AJP

Honda had a recall on the ignition switch several years back. Break out your multimeter and test for battery voltage at the starter solenoid while cranking. You should get value equal to battery voltage. If none, then check for voltage at the ignition switch, this will require taking off the plastics around the steering wheel.

As for the CEL, what is the code?

Good luck and let us know.
After everything I could think of (spark fuel air wires fuses relays ) I got fed up and cranked for about a minute. My cel finally came on. I left the key on and hooked battery to a charger and she slowly started. I just don't understand why I can't start unless cel is on??? My 3 codes are all o2 sensor

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
First off go get the CEL checked. This is starting to sound like a bad ground or a bad starter.
If you have a bad O2 then the ecu is going to operate in open loop causing richer than normal running conditions to prevent detonation. This can also cause hard starting if injectors are leaking, this is only one issues that can compound what you are describing.

I would replace the O2 sensor that is bad if that is the root cause of the codes. If it is the secondary O2 it might have failed or is telling you the catalyst has failed and may possibly be blocked. This can ALSO cause a non start.
However you have a non-cranking issue which appears to be starter, ignition related.

Ultimately, go back and test those circuits as I originally recommended. Stop guessing and throwing money at your problem.