Need some specs on engine

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i was wondering if anyone knows the specs on a D16Z7 motor...from a 96-00 civic ex. The engine swap info on this site has some good info but i mainly want to know if its DOHC or SOHC

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the 96-00 EX engine is a D16Y8. and it's a SOHC.

i believe it's 127hp@6600rpms

that's all i can tell you off hand bud :thumbup:

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so whats the D16Z7 out of? becuase this is what the sites(clubcivic) engine swap page says
6G 96-00 Civic EX Coupe USA EJ D16Z7 1590 9.6:1 127@6600/118@5500

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all of that is correct except for the engine code. :thumbs up:

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok. so it leaves me with 2 questions....by changing the head i can make DOHC right....or is there more i need to, like the path of belts and what not....second is it a worthy engine of building, and putting turbo on

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wait also can i use my tranny(its on a 95 lx sedan: motor d15b7) or do i need the tranny from the ex t...not sure if its a auto or not and i dont want a auto they suck i need manual

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ok first you cannot mate a dohc head to a sohc block. it doesnt work. you can put a d16y8 or d16z6 sohc vtec head on your non vtec d15b7. you use the timing belt for the head that your putting on, not your stock one. this will yeild approx 135 crank hp, due to higher compression than the full y8 or z6. i personally would do the z6 to stay all obd 1. you will also need the ecu from the sohc vtec motor, or you will need to chip your ecu and install a vtec controller. honestly, the d15 isnt a good motor to build up. the crank is a crappy cast unit, while the d16 and b series are much stronger forged steel. when you do a head swap (called a mini-me) you raise the compression ratio too high to boost it, so your pretty much stuck n/a, and the d series just plain sucks n/a. if you want to do a budget thing, swap in a d16z6 and build that up, its got a much stronger bottom end and much more potential boosted. or do a b series swap, a b18b if your gonna boost or a b18c or b16a if your gonna stay n/a. you will spend more money to replace the whole bottom end of the d15 than to just get a b18c or whatever which will be faster stock.

panuwat

Lost Honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that just made my brain spin.. i dont think a 17 year old would understand what you just said

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol actually i understood everything he said...and also handle*****(lol cant remember the rest of your name). Maybe i didnt make it clear but what im doing is not just switching head...but putting the whole d16 engine in....also im getting the engine for free anyways, so all the money will go to building it. And i can get a b18a for like 1000 dollars, but i dont have that. but i guess you said that a d16 is worth building and turboing if i dont get a b18 right?? and also im not sure if the tranny from the d16 is auto or not, if its auto will my tranny mate to the new motor??

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im hoping to build up my d16z6 for turbo :twisted: the d16 can handle as much boost stock as a b18a, and make almost as much hp. they also have the wonderful tendancy to make a lot more torque than a comparable b16. crower and golden eagle make rods for the d16, and srp, wiseco, endyn, and a whole bunch of other companies make pistons. im certain there are more out there, but those are just ones i can think of off the top of my head. get ones that are stock c/r (9.2) or a 9.0, and a nice set of forged rods. sleeves too if you can afford it. do this and your set for ~25psi or so. id also suggest the valvetrain, the stock cam works very well and probably doesnt need to be changed, but the exhaust valves definitely shoud be replaced with some sodium filled ones if you plan on running high boost. a 3 or 5 angle valve job would be good too. and tuning, tuning, tuning!!! any good standalone fuel management system will be the best investment you can make. do not, and i repeat, do not do an auto!!! d series trannys are definitely not the strongest to begin with, and an auto will die under the stress of boost. either convert to manual or get a car with a manual in it already, and i definitely suggest the latter. much cheaper and easier. honda autos just plain suck, theres no way around it. dont get the b18a, you will spend a lot of money getting the cable tranny there to match up with your hydro based car. its fairly easy to go from a cable car to hydro tranny, but more difficult to go the other way around. your going to use the ecu from the d16z6, and if your runnin a manual tranny, it must be a manual tranny ecu, or vice versa. any d series tranny will bolt up to a d series motor, but again, you will distroy your tranny if you boost it, period end. your probably gonna do a manual tranny or so if you boost big, but thats the beauty of building up a d- you can find spare parts, even spare engines/ drivetrains for little or nothing. you blow a vtec b series tranny, and your lookin at big bucks. you blow a d and you just go down to the junkyard and pick up a few extras. oh and my names mike, you dont need to call me handle.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok thanks mike...and i do have a civic with a manual transmission...my concern was that my dad is getting a motor from a friend, but im not sure if it was auto or manual...so i dont need to buy a new car becuase like i said i have a manual tranny in my car already....so if the engine i do get has auto, do i just need to go to a junk yard and find a ecu from the same exact car, but with a mnaual or is it more complicated than that. And if i do use this motor from my dads friend, then ill have around 1200 dollars to tune it with, then ill just have to save up for the turbo....Soin other words dont go with the b18 if money is in anyway an issue(which it is hugely). So mike thanks for the advice and ill probably stick with that one then. But not sure if i said htis or not, im not sure what motor it is, this guy is looney and doesnt know much about cars(the guy im getting it from) and "HE" says its a 97 ex...but can never be sure...so if it is a decent motor then ill build it...and thankyou, youve saved me alot of money so far =)