Need to know ASAP which part to buy!!!!!

civic596

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Need to know ASAP which part I should buy!!!!!!!!

Want to buy fiance either a greddy 4-2-1 header or a set of civic type R cam gears. Which are the best to buy. I want the most horsepower gain possible. Let me know all will help me now. Don't know too much about parts so please help.

I guess it would be good to let you know that we own 2 1999 civic Si's. He will be getting a part from me for Christmas. All we have is AEM intake on both so far. Please help. thanks

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Personally I would get the header so that you can get an exhaust next and after that work on your internals.

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "admin"

Personally I would get the header so that you can get an exhaust next and after that work on your internals.

I Agree.

spider883

Supercharged Si
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Si_Racer13"

admin said:

I Agree.
well all i can say is i second that

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also agree but you should get a DC Sports 4-2-1 header is is cheaper than the Greddy...you could use the left over money for the type-R cams if you want.

Joe 8)

civic596

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
THANKS. What kind of improvement would we be looking at? Right now he can run 16.0 with an Intake and I ran 15.9, but I weight less. And that was only once. Would he be in 15's with header? thanks

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well the header is not going to make a dramatic different in your ET. Maybe instead of running 16.0 and 15.9 you'll be running 15.5 or better with a Greddy Evo cat-back exhaust. The only way to fully benefit from bolt-ons is to have the essentials: AEM intake (cold air?), header and cat-back exhaust. You might knock off a second or better w/ these bolt-ons.

Joe
8)

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea...I believe it is worth it to invest in exhaust mods. Many people mod their intake and exhaust first before anything else because there's hp and torque to be gained. The stock parts are so restrictive. Another reason to mod your exhaust is due to reliability...headers and an unrestrictive exhaust are more reliable than say, pistons. Do you have cold-air intakes by the way?

Joe 8)

civic596

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup he bought a Aem CAI the first week we had it. I just know that the header is going to cost me $300.00 from my work. Rather than $400.00. But I want something that will benefit him the most. The exhaust is too expensive right now. At my work $500.00. Well I just want Christmas to be special for him. Hoping this is the way to go.

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would personally go with the exhaust first because he'll appreciate the difference in sound it'll make compared to the stock exhaust but if money is the issue then go with a 4-2-1 header. Which one were you looking at? I would recommand the DC Sports 4-2-1 header which costs around $300, which is your price range. It'll def. be worth it. I wish I was getting a header for Christmas...lol.

Joe 8)

civic596

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cool. I know the exhaust would be the best, but yeah as I said too much money. We are not hurting for money by any means, but he'll kill me if I spend that much. He is spoiled that is for sure. You said that DC sports costs $300.00 retail? I actually work for honda, and the best cost I got with an employee discount was for a Greddy header and that was $285.00. I would think he would want that but I don't want him to be disappointed.

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
header or cams?

:wink: Here is what a header will do:
A header helps let the exhaust exit through the exaust portion of the cylinder heads.
The camshafts would do several other things.
1. Type R camshafts allow the valves to open for a longer time and let them open bigger, too.
What this means is that you can cram more air and fuel to get a bigger explosion in the cylinder (i.e more horsepower).
A header relieves backpressure and unleashes horsepower that has been held back by stock component engineering.
To put ot simply:
A header may give you 1-5hp, don't believe the ad's they're a load of bull.
Cams usually give a genuine 5-20hp BUT require more than just installation, they need to be tuned for your motor!
A header will be cheaper and you will ger results.
A camshaft will give you MORE power but has hidden costs, just putting them in without tuning makes your car run like s**t.

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I totally agree. He won't be disappointed with the headers. But you say $285 for Greddy headers...go with it!!! That's a good deal. I saw them for $370 in JCWhitney magazine.

civic596

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I currently just ordered the DC sports 4-2-1 header today. For 320.00 after tax. Hopefully he will like his Xmas gift. Wonder what I will get.

It kicks ass working at Honda. I bought 2 si's in one month. Now to improve those some starting with the header. Any suggestions?

One Si is faster than the other... any suggestions?

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's neat that you work @ Honda, which department? I was thinking about working in either Mitsubishi or Honda.

Regarding your mods...basically when you come into money purchase your usual bolt-ons (i.e. exhaust, cams) and then if you want to get serious start building the engine with pistons, valves, port and polish...also, ignition system, cooling system, etc.

It'll be funny if your friend gets you the same header for X-Mas...lol.

99CX

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civic596 said:
I currently just ordered the DC sports 4-2-1 header today. For 320.00 after tax. Hopefully he will like his Xmas gift. Wonder what I will get.
Not to make you feel bad, but a 4-1 header will benifit 1/4 mile times more than a 4-2-1

civic596

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was told differently from many people and one guy owns a 4-2-1 and ran 14.8.

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well 4-1 are usually used for top-end power and 4-2-1 for low-end. I personally think, and from materials I have read, the 4-2-1 will benefit more for the 1/4 mile.