new 1.5T, Fuel question

mshamy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello everyone
could someone please help me as i need to know what is the recommended fuel RON for the new 1.5 Turbo engine?
Thanks,

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No problem! :thumbs up

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow that's it? Seems it would require 91 Oct at least seeing as the older b16 call for 91, must be lower compression or running less timing than an average turbo d16 or b series.

Mur man

Qutoed by Honda at- http://owners.honda.com/search?q=top+tier;
Fuel Information Use of unleaded gasoline of 87 octane or higher is recommended. • Honda recommends TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline where available. • Do NOT use gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol.

In Central New Jersey, my local BP uses 10% ethanol regular gas with Invigorate, 87 octane Top Tier rated.

A full list of Top Tier retailers is available at; http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

jerryjetman

2021 Civic Hatchback Sport. Dealer said it takes 87 Octane. The manual says that if you have 20 inch tires to use 91 octane. I am very confused. Called Honda help line and they told me to follow the manual. Can any one deconfuse me? Thanks

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport. Dealer said it takes 87 Octane. The manual says that if you have 20 inch tires to use 91 octane. I am very confused. Called Honda help line and they told me to follow the manual. Can any one deconfuse me? Thanks
You've already asked this before in another thread and you felt the need to bump a 6 yr old thread?
What is confusing about following the manual from the manufacturer?

jerryjetman

There is nothing wrong about following the Honda manual. When I returned home after buying the car, I started to read the manual. That is when I discovered the discrepancy in what the Honda salesman told me vs what the manual actually said. When three Honda salesmen from three different Honda dealerships say that a 2021 Honda Sport 1.5 L turbo uses 87 octane, something is wrong , either in their training or they are lying to try to sale cars. Do car salesman lie ? Ha Ha Ha!!!
Would I have purchased the car had I known this fact? Yes, I like the car very much and I just want to use the correct fuel.

jerryjetman

Hello everyone
could someone please help me as i need to know what is the recommended fuel RON for the new 1.5 Turbo engine?
Thanks,
This is from my owners manual. It appears that the tire size on the car dictates what fuel to use.
The salesman at Honda where I purchased the car from said that the car uses 87 octane. He was wrong. I called him on this issue. Even on the fuel door it says to use premium fuel 91 octane or higher.

Honda Fuel for 2021 Civic Sport Hatchback
Fuel Information
Fuel recommendation

Models without 18 or 20 inch wheels Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic knocking noise that can lead to engine damage.
Models with 18 or 20 inch wheels Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noise in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
Use of a gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage.
The use of regular unleaded gasoline can cause metallic knocking noises in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
Top tier detergent gasoline
Because the level of detergency and additives in gasoline vary in the market, Honda endorses the use of “TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline” where available to help maintain the performance and reliability of your vehicle. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline meets a new gasoline standard jointly established by leading automotive manufacturers to meet the needs of today’s advanced engines.
Check out your Owner's Manual for information.