New 95 civic coupe what to do????

Big Guns

Just got a shell of a 95 coupe. Want to make it as fast as possible but also keep it as a dd. What engine, tranny should I put into this project car? Planning on a supercharger and turbocharger on this project. Any ideas would be helpful.

Was thinking B16 transmission, B18 block, and B16 heads vtec of course but new to the Honda world what do you think?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Want to make it as fast as possible
OK sure...
Realistically, what is your budget and power goal?
Budget will dictate how "fast" you can go and how reliable it will be.
With all this "power to go as fast as possible", what about suspension upgrades to keep the wheels on the road?

B16 heads vtec of course but new to the Honda world what do you think?
The car only has one head and the b16 only comes in the vtec variety.

Big Guns

OK sure...
With all this "power to go as fast as possible", what about suspension upgrades to keep the wheels on the road?

Want to use as a DD but blow the doors off of most anything to put it simple. This is a project car for me just something to do to stay out of trouble for now. Figured
OK sure...

Well this will be a DD for me when it's done dont mind blowing the doors off most of what I come across. Thinking Mugen or Spoon build but dont really know yet

Big Guns

Want to use as a DD but blow the doors off of most anything to put it simple. This is a project car for me just something to do to stay out of trouble for now. Figured

Well this will be a DD for me when it's done dont mind blowing the doors off most of what I come across. Thinking Mugen or Spoon build but dont really know yet
Have a really good machine shop by me

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Want to use as a DD but blow the doors off of most anything to put it simple.
That literally didn't answer the question.
Without being specific, you have to have a budget and power goals.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay well 5-10k and 300-500+power
To have a motor push those numbers reliably, you're going to spend more than $10k on the build. Between the motor upgrades, turbo, transmission, tuning and handling.
Real quick, factor these in:
Axles, wheels, tires and clutch - $2k easily.
Transmission rebuild, with LSD, easy $2k alone at least.
Just a motor, I'd go with a K series at this point, they're newer and more plentiful, looking at a known good running one, maybe $1k, plus mounts and wiring to get it done.
Right there is $5k and you haven't even done anything or gotten a turbo set up, which can run upwards of $3k.
You still need to factor in tuning, engine/fuel management and motor rebuild to handle this type of power.
Also, with that type of power, you want to be able to stop, start, drive and handle, so there is brake and suspension work to think about too.

Champagne dreams....
You're talking Mugen or Spoon build of 3-500hp, you're gonna need a little more than $10k.

Big Guns

To have a motor push those numbers reliably, you're going to spend more than $10k on the build. Between the motor upgrades, turbo, transmission, tuning and handling.
Real quick, factor these in:
Axles, wheels, tires and clutch - $2k easily.
Transmission rebuild, with LSD, easy $2k alone at least.
Just a motor, I'd go with a K series at this point, they're newer and more plentiful, looking at a known good running one, maybe $1k, plus mounts and wiring to get it done.
Right there is $5k and you haven't even done anything or gotten a turbo set up, which can run upwards of $3k.
You still need to factor in tuning, engine/fuel management and motor rebuild to handle this type of power.
Also, with that type of power, you want to be able to stop, start, drive and handle, so there is brake and suspension work to think about too.

Champagne dreams....
You're talking Mugen or Spoon build of 3-500hp, you're gonna need a little more than $10k.
So your saying 20 to 25k right

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So your saying 20 to 25k right
I'd plan for at least $30k, to build it and build it right. Building a 4cyl to put out that power isn't easy or cheap, to do it right.
With these type of builds too, another thing to consider is now you'll have continual maintenance. The more parts you add, the more there is to maintain.

There was a guy local to me, in his 60's, who built an amazingly clean 5th gen hatch with a boosted Type R powerplant and transmission.
He bought the transmission and block new from Honda, then had it built to handle the power he was putting down, which was around 670 to the wheels.
From what I recall, he also drove it to Texas and I believe he had Jotech do the tuning on it.

All in all, he had about $60k wrapped up into this little 5th gen hatch, which also included new paint.

Big Guns

I'd plan for at least $30k, to build it and build it right. Building a 4cyl to put out that power isn't easy or cheap, to do it right.
With these type of builds too, another thing to consider is now you'll have continual maintenance. The more parts you add, the more there is to maintain.

There was a guy local to me, in his 60's, who built an amazingly clean 5th gen hatch with a boosted Type R powerplant and transmission.
He bought the transmission and block new from Honda, then had it built to handle the power he was putting down, which was around 670 to the wheels.
From what I recall, he also drove it to Texas and I believe he had Jotech do the tuning on it.

All in all, he had about $60k wrapped up into this little 5th gen hatch, which also included new paint.
So just asking if I did a k20 swap turbo and supercharger what kind of power do you think I could be looking at. NOT saying i wouldn't want to still do my project just asking. Dont really like the thought of rebuilds all the time. Just a very well built motor.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
[QUOTE
So just asking if I did a k20 swap turbo and supercharger what kind of power do you think I could be looking at. Just a very well built motor.[/QUOTE]

Can't have both... i mean you can but not worth Civic prices.. your looking at more than you can and want to spend to be a "reliable DD weekend warrior" do yourself a favor pick a realistic budget, timeframe think about life curveballs, location to do all the work and go from there. I was happy as s**t with a stock B20 on 12lbs @325hp but blew it up and went balls deep to now not drive it..

Sent from my boujea ass phone

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dont really like the thought of rebuilds all the time. Just a very well built motor.
You can't have both.
When adding more "go fast parts" you're adding to the complexity of the motor, making it work harder and wearing parts more.
Big power/money builds are not cheap, they require thought, time and continued maintenance.
There is no point in putting all this time and money into it, if you're not going to do it right, maintain it and have it run reliably.

Big Guns

You can't have both.
When adding more "go fast parts" you're adding to the complexity of the motor, making it work harder and wearing parts more.
Big power/money builds are not cheap, they require thought, time and continued maintenance.
There is no point in putting all this time and money into it, if you're not going to do it right, maintain it and have it run reliably.
Well it looks like I'm going kmod and have them do it. With 650 can I still run 93oct.

linkdeezie

Respected
You know, years ago a guy was selling a EG coupe on ebay, and said he had over $20k in the car... I just found it weird cause it was a single cam, and didn't even put out half as much power as my car and I spent nowhere NEAR $20k. I say that to say this, you can most definitely build a daily 500 hp Honda for under $10k. I'm not talking about something I heard, I'm talking about something I've DONE myself. My EM1 Si that I had for 3 years and finally sold for $6k cash money because I wanted to buy a house, and i had A/C and PS. You can also google "k series budget build" and there's a video on youtube where a guy did a k-swap in an EG for $3k. And his current project is a k-swap in an EF and his projected cost is $3,500. $10k is entering into track car figures in my opinion. You don't need that much for a daily, especially if you go b-series, or really go bold and stay single cam.
$2,000 Sleeved gsr shortblock on ebay right now complete with pistons and rods, which would be an AWESOME foundation to build a b-series on. All it takes is prudent planning, and a little bit of luck on finding deals and you can make that sh*t happen chief.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
You know, years ago a guy was selling a EG coupe on ebay, and said he had over $20k in the car... I just found it weird cause it was a single cam, and didn't even put out half as much power as my car and I spent nowhere NEAR $20k. I say that to say this, you can most definitely build a daily 500 hp Honda for under $10k. I'm not talking about something I heard, I'm talking about something I've DONE myself. My EM1 Si that I had for 3 years and finally sold for $6k cash money because I wanted to buy a house, and i had A/C and PS. You can also google "k series budget build" and there's a video on youtube where a guy did a k-swap in an EG for $3k. And his current project is a k-swap in an EF and his projected cost is $3,500. $10k is entering into track car figures in my opinion. You don't need that much for a daily, especially if you go b-series, or really go bold and stay single cam.
$2,000 Sleeved gsr shortblock on ebay right now complete with pistons and rods, which would be an AWESOME foundation to build a b-series on. All it takes is prudent planning, and a little bit of luck on finding deals and you can make that sh*t happen chief.
I have a 600+whp eg6 and i will say i cut no corners, fully built, suspension and all built over a 6yr period and I'm well over 25k. I know now it was a wasteful choice as it sits and does not get used had it down the track once with a horse s**t time on street tires and i will NEVER see my money out of it weather parted or sold as a whole.. that bein said i would not change anything cause when i break 3rd loose @24psi the grin on my face and the holy s**t grab somethin on my pass face makes it all worth it.. not sayin if someone offered me a $$$ on it id keep it..

Sent from my boujea ass phone