New Civic owner ready to swap but clueless

ladybluedreamz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have just bought my first civic about 2 months ago. I own a automatic 98 Civic HX. I have put bout $900 into my car already and it has 130k miles on it. I'm ready to replace the engine. I want more power but not crazy power. I am just wondering what engines out there are really good and reliable to swap out. Also I heard you can switch the transmission from automatic to manual. What are your opinons on that?

Thanx Alot.

Rick James

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b16a2 or b18c5

x0supermonkey0x

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey.... :welcome: to the site..... congrats on the new purchase =) .... a good engine for ur car is probably a b18c1 from an integra GSR ... theyre good motors...lots of power... and not too hard to put in according to most people.... as far as changing auto to manual... i dunno.....\

peace...

ill3galdr1v3r

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i need an auto to manual too....some say its not worth it, some say its not too bad.

i heard from a friend that its about 600 dollars...but i gotta check into that to see if its true.

Rick James

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its between 500-1000 depending on who does it and where u go

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if your clueless, i seriously suggest against swapping. do some reading and learn more about your car and what is involved with modding it in general before you rip the powertrain out of it. like having an auto pretty much kills swap prospects, because its terribly expensive and difficult to change over.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you are clueless...you are SO not ready to swap