New civic owner!

kraftyy

Hey all, i just purchased my first car (99 si coupe). I am looking to get it on the road soon, but it has been sitting a few years (roughly 3). i was just wondering if there are any common problems i should look at while trying to get it on the road. fairly new in the car world but always looking to learn. thanks!

Drakon543

sitting for a while i would check and or change the belts. definitely do an oil change if it hasnt been done yet. tune up will help with keeping it running better and if something starts going wrong you can take tune up off the list. sitting for 3 years hows the pads and rotors look maybe need to change those too. there is a few things that can go bad from sitting but thats some basics.

kraftyy

sitting for a while i would check and or change the belts. definitely do an oil change if it hasnt been done yet. tune up will help with keeping it running better and if something starts going wrong you can take tune up off the list. sitting for 3 years hows the pads and rotors look maybe need to change those too. there is a few things that can go bad from sitting but thats some basics.
thanks man! will surely check those out and keep everyone posted :D

Drakon543

ya off hand without knowing any details about the car besides its been sitting for 3 years those would be the first on my list. civics are typically easy to deal with besides a couple small gremlins on occasion. if you get everything squared away and it wasnt beat to hell already keeping up on maintenance it should last.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check the coolant, change your plugs and wires, do an oil change, and I would change the pads and rotors and check to be sure the calipers move freely.
Take a look at all your rubber hoses and lines to look for corrosion or rotting.