new engine time

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
finally got some more cash coming cause of the 2nd job. SOoooo, about time I ditch the DX engine :P . Anyone with alof of knowledge can help me alot on this. The cars going to be a daily driver, very mild drag car and heavy road race car.

The engines are either B16 Turbo or B18B1 Super.

I was thinking towards the B18 just cause of the torque and the cheapness of the LS engines, and maybe I can go VTEC or turbo later on.

Anyone know the price range of the engine swap by itself? oh, the car will have to be converted to manual also. The price of these engines should be going down right??? just cause of the K20 swappers out there?

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B18 turbo. The B18's block is very strong and can hold a considerable amount of boost on stock internals. Also the longer gearing of the LS tranny is ideal for boost. The B16+turbo is nice, but i think youll enjoy the B18 more.

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aw your dx is finnaly going to beat my car :thumbs up: mabey mikes to :headbang:
and keep both jobs as long as you can, i want to know someone with a [glow=red]fast [/glow]and nice looking civic :D

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
honestly if your gona road race it id keep it natrually aspirated. i wouldnt go with a turbo. the 18 is a nice motor but think about weight, when your road racing you want light weight high horses. the 16 is lighter but the 18 has about 20 more hp. you can get those 20 from your 16 easier and kep the weightdown on the front end. id go with a 16 for road racing but if your gonna go down the 1/8th or 1/4 go with a b18b turbo non vtec but for a daily driver and light racing, strip and street( road racing) id go with a b18c5. the 16 run around 3300 for everything and most shops charge anywhere from 500-1000 for the swap, the 18s are 2800 but going down, the 20s are sweet but if you were to get wild with a 20 youd need a 16 head for the high revs but the grunt of the b20 ( torque monster)

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thanks for the info. The weight issue isn't that big to me yet, but I was thinking more of torque and instant boost for coming out of turns. Im not sure how good a turbo would be if there are alof of corners and I couldn't reach max boost, so was thinking super....how bout b16 super???

Curious, how come the B16 costs more than the B18?

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dont get b16, its wack.. b16 dont cost much. i can get a longblock for around 5 bills , b18c1.. better..

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
you can get a long block b18c1 for 5 bills???

Hey hey hook it up

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My boy has a clean B18a w/ tranny waiting to be swaped in for 1000. The only diff between the A and the B is the ECU. I would rather an A...but its all up to you. If you are going turbo forget VTEC...makes no difference. Run a non-vtec beast =)

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the b16a has an ideal r/s ratio....... it's light. it has vtec (over the b18b), and you should be able to pick up the full conversion for $2200....... install shouldn't cost more than $500. the tranny conversion should cost $500 more.

the b18b is insanely cheap....... but you'll feel dumb with only one cam profile.... an integra ls is slower than a civic si, which is a little heavier

oh, and a small, properly sized turbo (read: greddy) would be perfect for road racing.... you'll be in boost at all times

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
By the time you have swapped a B16A2 (motor and installation) I have a turbo B18b that will own your B16. If ya want to go with VTEC...you will still come out cheaper putting a B16A2 head on a B18a/b. You drop a B16A2 in your 99EX and I will drop an LS VTEC in my 99EX and on a light by the time your motor hits vtec I will be at the next light waiting for you. And if ya want to go at it in top end....my VTEC will kick in and I will be gone.

Myogi_Nightkid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should decide first what type of driving you will be doing to save money and to save you regrets. for the 99-00 chassis, especially since it is a daily driver with occassional racing, the swap should be the same year or newer to meet smog inspections here in Cali.

if you're planning to do road racing, like everyone said, a N/A B16A2 should be enough to get you by as long as you have the correct suspension set up.

if you're planning to just do drag racing, a B18B turbo should meet your demands. plus like everyone mentioned, you have the option of making it into an LS/VTEC turbo.

do some more research on what application will best fit you. either one, both engines have good potential as long as it is built the right way.

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:twisted: hey team id love to find out where you can get a 16 swap motor ecu tranny and all for 2200. ive looked and was gonna get one when i blew my tranny.the cheapest ive found is 3000 anywho the 16 super is a good choice. a freind of mine has one and loves it, he always has boost never any lag and has a wicked blow off sound when he hits rev limiter, sounds like a grand national. if youve ever heard a gn's bov you know what im talking about :headbang: . dude its your money and your car do what ever you want to it.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whats the point a a B16 in autocross if you spend like a half second in vtec and have almost no torque. I think a B20 would be great in autocross....