New girl needs help

Shesfromthefire

Import Sweethearts
from what i was able to quickly search i only see that skunk2 and blackworks are the only company that makes coilovers for your year, now i say coilovers because 1. You dont want to cheap out 2. It gives you the privilege to raise your car up or go lower whenever you please. from what i seen the skunk2's run like 1500 shipped and the blackworks are like 900 shipped. Honestly if you work in the ghetto then i suggest getting an alarm installed ASAP if you dont have one already.
Yea on anything that's going to modify the car further then looks I definitely don't want to cheap out. Lowering is probably a year out, I could only afford the wheels because I got a $1400 bonus. It already has an alarm and I park it right outside my window haha, and I get pissed if someone takes that spot. My coworkers have learned to know better.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:. And I love brunettes ;).

My suggestion: lower it before wheels. Cars look very awkward 4x4 status with wheels. If you lower it, I would suggest getting something more stock like the Si wheels. Just my $0.02.

Tamerin

There are only two entrances to the lot and both are steep. I work in the ghetto and I like to be able to see my car.
Welcome to CC, and lol. Sounds like my neighborhood....

Do the ghetto thing and take a chain and wrap it around the wheel and tie it to the fire hydrant, cause I've seen that before in my area lol

Shesfromthefire

Import Sweethearts
:???:

My suggestion: lower it before wheels. Cars look very awkward 4x4 status with wheels. If you lower it, I would suggest getting something more stock like the Si wheels. Just my $0.02.
You're about 2days too late. Because I'm still unsure about lowering I would rather have the wheels. I've seen these wheels on other civics and acuras that weren't lowered an I didn't think they looked awkward. I appreciate your $0.02, but I have a year to consider lowering haha. Because I'm on a serious budget.

Shesfromthefire

Import Sweethearts
Welcome to CC, and lol. Sounds like my neighborhood....

Do the ghetto thing and take a chain and wrap it around the wheel and tie it to the fire hydrant, cause I've seen that before in my area lol
Wouldn't chains scratch the wheels? If someone steals my wheels while the car sits in front of me I'm totally the one to blame haha. I wonder if insurance would cover them.... Hmmm

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:???:

You're about 2days too late. Because I'm still unsure about lowering I would rather have the wheels. I've seen these wheels on other civics and acuras that weren't lowered an I didn't think they looked awkward. I appreciate your $0.02, but I have a year to consider lowering haha. Because I'm on a serious budget.
You can always re-sell or return parts. Like I said, it was just my suggestion. It sucks to have to scrape and everything but there's a saying that goes around: "You gotta pay to play".

The lowest point on my friend's prelude is about an inch off the ground, maybe less. He scrapes on everything, 3-wheels into parking lots, shoots sparks, etc. He went down to Import Alliance because he's friends with the StanceNation owner and one of his friends broke an oil pan in the middle of the road. They changed it then and there. Not the first time it's happened too. He carries spare oil pans just for those occasions.

emerican

Registered VIP
Welcome to club civic
Sucks about works driveway, but like you said you got time to contemplate lowering it lol.

barrett

Registered VIP
Nice pick up on the car. As posted above, it says that there are only Skunk2 and Blackworks coilovers for your car, I do believe they are wrong. There's Buddy Club, Tein, Skunk2, HSP, K-Sport, Megan, etc etc. Or you could custom build your own with Koni struts and your choice of coilover sleeve. Check out this link for more info, perfectly laid out and described.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/72054-coil-over-options-06-civic.html

I too own an 8th gen civic (four door Si in my case) PM me if you have some questions you want answered and I'll do my best to help out.

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Wouldn't chains scratch the wheels? If someone steals my wheels while the car sits in front of me I'm totally the one to blame haha. I wonder if insurance would cover them.... Hmmm
You could even get a steering wheel lock, or a top of the line alarm system that calls you and the cops when someone breaks in, but I'd say wheels first. Take your time and don't rush

Shesfromthefire

Import Sweethearts
Failsafe I'm from Austin area.

Here's a question, I've heard the 8th gen DX doesn't have a rear sway bar. I haven't really looked in to it, but has anyone here had a civic without one and installed one and noticed a big difference?

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you wont really notice a big difference if you're driving normal. you'll notice it when cornering. your car will be less flexible in the rear.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

I have brown hair.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877312,-99.509389
I always thought you were a dude based on your username..... Unless you are a guy just stating you have brown hair lol.

Failsafe I'm from Austin area.

Here's a question, I've heard the 8th gen DX doesn't have a rear sway bar. I haven't really looked in to it, but has anyone here had a civic without one and installed one and noticed a big difference?
Like DeathLens said, a sway bar will become noticeable in cornering. It helps eliminate flex in the rear and keeps you more stable in the corners. I noticed a HUGE difference going from no rear sway bar to a 22mm one.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I agree with lowering it before wheels. I love the way cars look lowered even on stock wheels or heck even steelies. Sure, its not always practical but it looks awesome! =)

I installed a rear sway bar on my 97 4 door civic; at the same time i also installed an s2000 steering wheel so im not sure what it was that felt tighter, the steering or the actual car.

So i want to say yes you will feel a difference when cornering more aggressively.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I agree with lowering it before wheels. I love the way cars look lowered even on stock wheels or heck even steelies. Sure, its not always practical but it looks awesome! =)

I installed a rear sway bar on my 97 4 door civic; at the same time i also installed an s2000 steering wheel so im not sure what it was that felt tighter, the steering or the actual car.

So i want to say yes you will feel a difference when cornering more aggressively.
The sway bar. I remember measuring my AP1 wheel vs. my stock wheel and I'm pretty sure they're the same. Plus I don't think steering wheels make as much of a difference as the steering rack themselves which I'm pretty sure some people swap for tighter steering.

Also, lower profile and wider tires will make steering feel different. I hate going from my 205/45/16 on 16x7 wheels to 185/65/14 on 14x5 steelies. Night and day difference.

emerican

Registered VIP
If your gonna go from no sway bar to a decent sized one you will notice a differenece.

Shesfromthefire

Import Sweethearts
I think the sway bar is going to be low on my priority list, I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to try and sort out my emblems this weekend. I think I'm going to have to buy JDM ones (see picture) then get vinyl overlays to get them the color I want. My other option would be to remove the stock ones, paint them and put them back on. Either way they have to come off. Does anyone have this kind of emblem?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Some people rock those. I never really got into emblems. I removed all mine except the rear H since there are holes underneath.