New Here! Picked up 91 Civic. Reverse Lights Always On

Paul Hansen

Respected
Hello all 4th gen Civic owners! I just picked up a 91 Civic Wagon from my father in law that had been sitting in a garage for years. It has no rust,2wd with a manual trans. The best thing is it has 76k original miles. It has been maintained with the basic oil, timing belt , brake replacement. Are there any issues I should be aware of?

Moderator Edit: For Reverse light issue, see thread starting here:
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/new-here-picked-up-91-civic-reverse-lights-always-on.233473/#post-3457962

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Hansen

Respected
Thank you, I hope to drive it as much as possible before it gives out. What is the average life span on this engine if properly maintained?

Paul Hansen

Respected
Wow thats great. How about alternators? Also, Should I run some fuel injection cleaner through the gas? Maybe BG?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

Congrats on the pick up! Don't see too many 4th gens these days.

Post some pics!

Paul Hansen

Respected
Detailed 91 Civic, new tires tomorrow. Runs good ,starts after sitting out in below freezing temps. Still need advice on how to get the backup lights to go out?

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Detailed 91 Civic, new tires tomorrow. Runs good ,starts after sitting out in below freezing temps. Still need advice on how to get the backup lights to go out?
Reverse switch on trans??

Sent from my boujea ass phone

Paul Hansen

Respected
Thanks- I do wonder if these cars would qualify as -Classic car status? Also Autoblog has a cool write up on a 89 Wagon they found in the junkyard. They mention 80's engines had HG issues?

Last edited:

Paul Hansen

Respected
The y-tube info vague on how to replace the B/U switch? It appears to on top of the trans below the distributor? I guess it screws out and there are 2 wires to disconnect? The replacement part looks like it has 2 plugs to insert wires in and the other end has a button type switch on it. Has any body replied their's?

Paul Hansen

Respected
Thanks - I just read where the exact location was and unplugged it from the main harness for now. To answer your question I have not checked it yet. FYI- T he lights are off ! but obviously it won't work if backing up. Good for now. Thanks again for responding. The car is running great overall. I have put more miles on it in 2 weeks than it had in 2 years!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks- I do wonder if these cars would qualify as -Classic car status? Also Autoblog has a cool write up on a 89 Wagon they found in the junkyard. They mention 80's engines had HG issues?
Generally, 25yrs old is the "Classic" status.
I don't recall those motors having any sort or head gasket issues, those 88-91 d series motors were rock solid reliable.

Paul Hansen

Respected
Thanks, I was wondering how long you have to get the emissions done, I assume it depends on the state. Also, I agree those are solid engines