New Member/ Old Post/ Weird Noise/Please Help

kidivory

I have posted a couple of days ago in the tech section but not to many people seem to see it so I thought I would try in the new section since I am new to this site. Here is what I posted;

Hey guys new to the site, well at least registered anyways. I have a 2000 Civic D16y7 5 speed, that I just recently installed an aftermarket Intake Manifold and Header, that's Rite I said Header not HEADERS! Sorry That's just a pet peeve of mine when people call there header, headers on a 4 cyl:.. Anyways, to the problem, I am hearing a weird ticking or light knocking noise from inside the car. It only happens when you hold the RPM's at a steady. If you let off the gas it goes away, if you get on the gas it goes away. You don't hear it at all when mashing on it or downshifting just at a steady even throttle, no matter where the rpm range is if it is steady it comes around? The only thing I have done real recent is installed Polly Urethane Shifter bushings, But I can't see that being the problem. I need help Guys, I have no Idea what it is, and when it does happen from time to time at stand still (idle) when I get out and try and locate it you can't hear it from outside Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Here were my follow ups;
it's not the valves as I just adjusted them besides valves are usually noisy all the time and may get a little louder as you rev the engine. But this noise is only at a steady rpm, and after just driving it I would say it is definitely between 2k - 3,500 rpm range I know its weird, Trust me I have heard all kinds of sounds from my integras to my accords but this is a first for me. It's like a cross between a clicking and a rattling sound if that helps.
First I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to chime in on this thread and help! As far as the heat shields go, I am pretty sure it's not the shields because when I put the header on I connected it to the stock exhaust and looked it over and seems to be plenty of clearance there.
I would like to be able to pin point it by having a buddy hold the throttle but it won't make the noise unless it's being driven?
GreenSpeed503, It is not detonation I am almost 100% sure of that. I did install an accell High Output internal coil recently so your reply sparks my interest no pun intended. I am wondering if I may have skipped over one of the valves or just didn't double check the clearance? I did it by myself and was in kind of a hurry and this being the first SOHC motor that I've done valves on it was more difficult to see the cam and it's position when turning and adjusting? I don't know guys, I have thrown 2 codes since my work to the car, 1 = P0420, which I fixed by taking the 02 out and zip tying it to the shift linkage that doesn't move. the 2= P0505, which I fixed by adjusting the Idle that I previously adjusted up to get rid of the intake whistle, but now it is back down the whistle is back but no codes! Please help, it's not that the car is running bad but it is annoying as hell! Thanks Guys!
So maybe I will get more of you Veterans on here to chime in or anybody with some sort of idea, Thanks Again

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The whistle your hearing is from your intake. Mine does the same thing.

As for the ticking at 2.5k - 3k, mine does that also. I've never pin pointed it before, but it hasnt caused any harm yet and i've had it since I got it.

kidivory

Yeah I know, it's kinda cool sounding lol. I adjusted my throttle up and got rid of the whistle but being an obd2 car it's so sensitive that it threw a P0505 code so I adjusted it back down to stock idle and now the whistle is back but no code. So I can deal with the whistle, it's this weird rattle sound that is killin me! any suggestions on what that might be? Cause I am completely stumped. Thank You

Gunner

Registered VIP
First welcome, second your post would be easier to read if it was smaller text and not bright blue =) .

I know on most 8th gens the ticking sound is your injectors, but since you said its a rattling i am not sure. i know yours is a 2000 but have you listened to it with the hood open and someone else reving it?

kidivory

Yeah Sorry about that ! I just wanted to get the attention of members like your self. I have tried revving the engine by myself at the T.B. and listening , and yes I can hear the Fuel injectors but it is not the sound I am hearing while driving. I have never had this before, but this is also my first Civic and also my first obd2 car. So needless to say I am having fun with the sensors when trying to mod this thing. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Gunner

Registered VIP
Do you know more specifically where the rattle is from? LIke left, right middle of engine bay, bottom, back ETC.?
Sound like a something is loose rattle or a metal on metal grinding rattle?

Do you have a heat sheild for you header? (not 100 familiar with your year) if so is it loose? Also any loos hangers down by the cat or where you hooked up your header? Since you put in a header odds are something is loose, or its hitting something like your subframe.. I would check everything again hangers, brackets ETC..

kidivory

Gunner, Thank You for your help so far, the sound is coming from the middle of the car sounds like right at the firewall or just under. As far as heat shields the only ones left are the ones from the cat back if I had a cat. I will check it out today and let you know what I find. again it is just weird as it only happens at steady speeds while driving and not at stand still? Thankis again for your help I will keep you posted!

Gunner

Registered VIP
See if you have full clearance with your exhaust and sub frame...if its loose it could be rattling or rubbing something...

I wouldnt think your header is bad or if it was bad if it would rattle i am not sure...

RonJ

Banned
I also think the exhaust system is likely the culprit. How did you plug the hole in the exhaust pipe after removing the secondary O2 sensor?

kidivory

I plugged the whole with the threaded plug that was originally inside the whole when I got the header. The Header is not bad, I think the only way a header can go bad is if it gets cracked or came from the maker all messed up for my install which it wasn't, I was seriously amazed at how well this $50 header fit and looked. I have had name brands not fit near as well!
I do think it is the header but not that it is bad just that it is aftermarket and doesn't fit like stock so I guess that is the prob, rite where the header meets the stock exhaust. I originally had the stock Honda bolts in the exhaust and didn't hear the weird noise, so I am guessing this is my problem, also I re-adjusted my valves this weekend and after talking to a local import race shop, I adjusted the Lash for Intake and exhaust at .007 which has made the sound a little different, I can't really describe how I know but I know it is the exhaust, It is definitely not internal I know that for sure. Oh Yeah I also found out when trying to set the timing after my valve adjustment, that my car has been a tooth off the whole time I have owned it?? The last people to work on it that I know of was HONDA, ?? Anyways after moving the cam over 1 tooth, wow I have a lot more power and a way different power curve. Oh and if anyone is wondering about the whole .007 on the exhaust side?? Yeah it's too tight, the intake barks louder than ever now but you can feel the difference in the pedal and the sound. I am going back to .009 ex. today. As far as the exhaust sound I guess I will have to have some professional work done to it. or get a cat-back??

RonJ

Banned
Is the threaded plug in the header tight - any leaks?

The stock header is combined with the cat. Is that what you have? Did you replace the upper header gasket and the lower doughnut gasket that mates with exhaust pipe A? The stock bolts there have springs to allow for some flexibility.

Regarding your mechanical timing, afterward were you able to set the ignition timing to spec using a timing gun?

kidivory

It is tight, no leaks there, The header I have installed does not have the cat, I am running no cat, Yes as far as the gaskets they are all brand new and there are no leaks coming from them. the only problem gasket is the doughnut they supplied with the header, it is meant for aftermarket exhaust not the stock diameter, so I have it pinched in there pretty good. I did use replacement bolts and springs for the exhaust from auto-zone so there could be some possible flexibility but like I said I tightened them pretty good as to make sure the doughnut sealed to the stock exhaust. When you look at it you can see the end of the header then the doughnut almost the entire thing then right where it bevels is where it seals into the stock exhaust. As for the timing, yes now I have the three timing marks in the sites instead of the tdc mark. I knew something was up when I tried adjusting my idle and checked the timing a while back but was pondering whether my Snap-On timing gun had been dropped or weather the person who worked on the car before me was dropped? lol