New Members Section: Potential New Rules

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its obvious that a large majority of these new members simply dont read through the "New Member" suggestions and I understand why. Most people, primarily the young ones, nowadays are flat out lazy and at first glance it just looks like a lot of seemingly unimportant cluttered chatter. I believe it would help to better format and greatly enlarge and better boldly color the important title sections, such as "New Thread Rules"or "Read this Before Posting".
I strongly believe it'll encourage at least a few more new members to read the most important information.

I also suggest adding a warning and new rule for new members along the lines of the following;
"All new threads that do not abide by forum rules will be deleted entirely regardless of the amount of replies received".
Perhaps the threat of not receiving an answer will prompt them to be a little more diligent with their threads. I understand that attracting new members is needed, but quality should be more important. I also dont think its worth losing a tenured member to gain a few inadequate members who dont contribute anything of value to the forum.

I'll gladly help with writing, improve wording, and improve the visual organization of the more important areas given I have experience with such things. I use to write letters, compose system general responses, and created the general customer responses for a large company in the travel industry. Its a different demographic, but the approach is the same.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It has less to do with the color of the stickies and more to do with the fact that 90% of the new members and guests are here through mobile apps like tapatalk. No stickies no fancy colors on top of the forum sections. In fact if most of them browse like I do they dont go through section by section. All it shows me is new posts regardless of section.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hex, I hate incompetence as much as the next guy, believe me. Reading the crap that comes out of these new threads will often make my head want to explode. However, I think you're trying to stop a mosquito problem. Keep coming up with more strict ways of dealing with them and they will keep doing what they do. Don't get me wrong, I agree that there should be an etiquette of sorts, but let's just face the reality of it here.

A lot of your users that come in and make their first post, a quickly written "tech" thread are pretty much here to solve an issue. If no one bothers to help, I'm sure they won't come back. If we do help and their issue is fixed, they MAY hang around, but they likely won't be back until the next issue pops up. That's pretty much how I started out, but I got more into my Honda and then enjoyed it here.

It would be nice to funnel new members into the "New To Site" section where they get to post a quick blurb about themselves, and I think a lot of what Joe was saying is right, if they feel welcomed, they may stick around a bit and they'll pick up on thread habits for the most part.

I think saying, "no this is wrong" by warning them and / or deleting their post is just going to deter them from posting on the forum.

Unfortunately, quality of user joining the site is not really up to us. We can be more selective about who's threads get to stay up and who's are just too awful to be read by the public, but like I said, there's going to be consequences to that, obviously.

It would be great if the forum could somehow limit a user with 0 posts, to only be able to POST in the "New to the Site" section, but still see the rest of the forum like a guest. Once you pop your posting cherry, the forum is your play ground. When I worked at Circuit City, all of the IT "Firedog" techs had made our own private forum that was totally separate from any corporate holding, to kind of get to know each other, pass around knowledge and solve issue, yadda yadda, and it was setup on that forum. I don't know HOW it's done, but I've seen it done, and I'm not sure how it affects mobile users though.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hex, I hate incompetence as much as the next guy, believe me. Reading the crap that comes out of these new threads will often make my head want to explode. However, I think you're trying to stop a mosquito problem. Keep coming up with more strict ways of dealing with them and they will keep doing what they do. Don't get me wrong, I agree that there should be an etiquette of sorts, but let's just face the reality of it here.

A lot of your users that come in and make their first post, a quickly written "tech" thread are pretty much here to solve an issue. If no one bothers to help, I'm sure they won't come back. If we do help and their issue is fixed, they MAY hang around, but they likely won't be back until the next issue pops up. That's pretty much how I started out, but I got more into my Honda and then enjoyed it here.

It would be nice to funnel new members into the "New To Site" section where they get to post a quick blurb about themselves, and I think a lot of what Joe was saying is right, if they feel welcomed, they may stick around a bit and they'll pick up on thread habits for the most part.

I think saying, "no this is wrong" by warning them and / or deleting their post is just going to deter them from posting on the forum.

Unfortunately, quality of user joining the site is not really up to us. We can be more selective about who's threads get to stay up and who's are just too awful to be read by the public, but like I said, there's going to be consequences to that, obviously.

It would be great if the forum could somehow limit a user with 0 posts, to only be able to POST in the "New to the Site" section, but still see the rest of the forum like a guest. Once you pop your posting cherry, the forum is your play ground. When I worked at Circuit City, all of the IT "Firedog" techs had made our own private forum that was totally separate from any corporate holding, to kind of get to know each other, pass around knowledge and solve issue, yadda yadda, and it was setup on that forum. I don't know HOW it's done, but I've seen it done, and I'm not sure how it affects mobile users though.
I agree with you, especially to the bold text. We don't want to deter anyone from the site, whether they stick around or just show up to post a question and that's it. While it would be nice to have new members stick around, yelling at them to post proper grammar won't help.

A different approach would be to kindly ask the OP to rephrase their question using proper English, as without it, it's hard to understand. Because of that, the chances that they get a solid reply isn't as great. Then, if you can comprehend their question, help them.

Good idea on needing to post in the New Member section, my only concerns are that new members who want to sign up and post a question right away will just post in there because they have to, not because they want to. If a member has no intentions of sticking around, this is just another obstacle for them. Again, as much as we'd like new members to stick around and become part of the CC community, I rather not scare away anyone at all.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I tend to agree with wreckless hype. However, Hex, I do like your idea of making things more obvious. Unfortunately, lethal highlighted a key issue that the mods have been really struggling with in the mod lounge. The majority of users are using tapatalk, which doesn't show the stylings, badges, etc.

Knowing that information, I'll let you guys talk it out for a bit. I'll chime in if there's some information that you aren't considering, but if you guys can hash out a solution, I think I speak for the mod staff when I say that we're definitely open to new possibilities on this. Just keep in mind that while we do want better posting habits, we do not want to scare anyone away with an overabundance of rules or hostile introductions.

The one interesting proposition out of this, so far, is forcing 0 post members to post an intro thread. That is a very good idea that I'll look into. However, that goes back to my post yesterday. We're already not welcoming everyone that makes an intro thread. If we have more people make intros, we need to make sure that they're welcomed appropriately.

Feel free to hash things out and I'll check in to see how it's going.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The required first post in the new members thread is very interesting. I like that idea.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I tend to agree with wreckless hype. However, Hex, I do like your idea of making things more obvious. Unfortunately, lethal highlighted a key issue that the mods have been really struggling with in the mod lounge. The majority of users are using tapatalk, which doesn't show the stylings, badges, etc.

Knowing that information, I'll let you guys talk it out for a bit. I'll chime in if there's some information that you aren't considering, but if you guys can hash out a solution, I think I speak for the mod staff when I say that we're definitely open to new possibilities on this. Just keep in mind that while we do want better posting habits, we do not want to scare anyone away with an overabundance of rules or hostile introductions.
The one interesting proposition out of this, so far, is forcing 0 post members to post an intro thread. That is a very good idea that I'll look into. However, that goes back to my post yesterday. We're already not welcoming everyone that makes an intro thread. If we have more people make intros, we need to make sure that they're welcomed appropriately.

Feel free to hash things out and I'll check in to see how it's going.
Am I the only one that is baffled by this?

How is speaking English and using proper punctuation asking too much?

Especially in the tech section......

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Am I the only one that is baffled by this?

How is speaking English and using proper punctuation asking too much?

Especially in the tech section......
You have answered your own question. It's not asking too much. Key word -- asking. See below:

A different approach would be to kindly ask the OP to rephrase their question using proper English, as without it, it's hard to understand. Because of that, the chances that they get a solid reply isn't as great. Then, if you can comprehend their question, help them.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Because as Joe said, we don't want to deter people from the site with too many rules.

I understand what you're saying, but, if it becomes a rule, it means we have to stick to it. Then we'd be deleting threads, OP's would get hurt and leave, etc. I've seen more than a few "I though this was a place for help not a place to be ridiculed" posts from new members who come in and just get bashed for their poor grammar. I get the whole "If they post with proper grammar in the first place then nobody would give them s**t" thing, but in terms of trying to get new members to stick around, we shouldn't give them crap for their first post. IMO it would be a better idea if we ask them to rephrase and type properly -- at least this way the thread isn't deleted entirely and potentially costing us a new member.

Also these are my thoughts and do not reflect the CC staff as a whole. <-- Just covering my ass :lol:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A bit of information to aid in the discussion - We used to have a stricter rule set. It was discarded for two reasons

1) Members complained that there were too many rules and stated that the moderators should "untwist their panties" :lol:
2) Many members never bothered to read the rules because there were too many or they were too detailed

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Because as Joe said, we don't want to deter people from the site with too many rules.

I understand what you're saying, but, if it becomes a rule, it means we have to stick to it. Then we'd be deleting threads, OP's would get hurt and leave, etc. I've seen more than a few "I though this was a place for help not a place to be ridiculed" posts from new members who come in and just get bashed for their poor grammar. I get the whole "If they post with proper grammar in the first place then nobody would give them s***" thing, but in terms of trying to get new members to stick around, we shouldn't give them crap for their first post. IMO it would be a better idea if we ask them to rephrase and type properly -- at least this way the thread isn't deleted entirely and potentially costing us a new member.

Also these are my thoughts and do not reflect the CC staff as a whole. <-- Just covering my ass :lol:
The tech section is not why people stick around.......

A bit of information to aid in the discussion - We used to have a stricter rule set. It was discarded for two reasons

1) Members complained that there were too many rules and stated that the moderators should "untwist their panties" :lol:
2) Many members never bothered to read the rules because there were too many or they were too detailed
1) Many the mods should grow a pair, instead of caving in to the illiterate subgroup of Honda owners

2) So guess what, they should not be able to post. This works on many other forums, it will work here.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am confused. Show me a forum where they tell people how they can talk and police grammar by deleting posts/threads. How is that even regulated? What about the members from over seas that English isn't their first language? Do we limit the site to only the U.S. then? How about limit it to a certain age that doesn't use slang and texting short hand? What about limiting it to areas of the country that don't have incorrect grammar slang as part of their day to day vocabulary? Where does it end? I have seen absolutely every single person on this site make a grammar mistake. Does that mean that we delete posts from everyone...or is it just the newbs that we are discriminating against?

Look, I hate trying to deal with the idiots that can't use proper sentences and grammar just like the next guy but that isn't something that I see as a viable policing action. We can't tell people how to talk, that's ridiculous. All we can do is ask.

This is like telling you that you can't post on here because you don't actually own a civic.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I am confused. Show me a forum where they tell people how they can talk and police grammar by deleting posts/threads. How is that even regulated? What about the members from over seas that English isn't their first language? Do we limit the site to only the U.S. then? How about limit it to a certain age that doesn't use slang and texting short hand? What about limiting it to areas of the country that don't have incorrect grammar slang as part of their day to day vocabulary? Where does it end? I have seen absolutely every single person on this site make a grammar mistake. Does that mean that we delete posts from everyone...or is it just the newbs that we are discriminating against?

Look, I hate trying to deal with the idiots that can't use proper sentences and grammar just like the next guy but that isn't something that I see as a viable policing action. We can't tell people how to talk, that's ridiculous. All we can do is ask.

This is like telling you that you can't post on here because you don't actually own a civic.

"Use proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, etc. No texting/instant messenger lingo"

That is straight from the forum rules on DSMtuners

There is a difference between a "slang" word and an absolutely incoherent post. You know exactly the kind I am talking about.

http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?87680-Follow-this-THREAD-FORMAT-or-your-thread-will-be-DELETED-WITHOUT-NOTICE

for sale rules from g2ic....

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thank you for the info. I will contact some modeartors from those forums and see if they in fact just go removing posts like you are saying because I honestly don't believe it to be true. That is the epitome of nazi moderating.

What you posted is general forum etiquette and isn't a rule that is ever policed that I have seen.

Who are we to tell people how to talk just because we don't agree with it?

I have seen 2 threads lately that are from another country and are poor grammar and kind of difficult to read. Takes a minute for it to sink in and for the brain to catch what they are meaning to say. What do we do about those? Delete per the grammar rules or do they get a magical pass? Like I said where does it end.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Thank you for the info. I will contact some modeartors from those forums and see if they in fact just go removing posts like you are saying because I honestly don't believe it to be true. That is the epitome of nazi moderating.

What you posted is general forum etiquette and isn't a rule that is ever policed that I have seen.

Who are we to tell people how to talk just because we don't agree with it?

I have seen 2 threads lately that are from another country and are poor grammar and kind of difficult to read. Takes a minute for it to sink in and for the brain to catch what they are meaning to say. What do we do about those? Delete per the grammar rules or do they get a magical pass? Like I said where does it end.
Where did I say they just remove posts? I suggested they shouldn't be allowed post if they don't read the rules, and not b**** afterward when they get their s*** jumped.

G2IC will delete your for sale ad if it is not in the correct format. It has even happened to me personally because I forgot to put FS or MS (my current location).

It scares me to see that you think I would try to change how people speak. I understand there are language barriers and I work with them to the best of my abilities. It's those that you can not even read to begin with, solid brick walls of words that we have to weed through to even understand what someone is trying to say etc.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The tech section is not why people stick around.......

1) Many the mods should grow a pair, instead of caving in to the illiterate subgroup of Honda owners

2) So guess what, they should not be able to post. This works on many other forums, it will work here.

By your logic in #1, We should ignore member suggestions. That would include your own.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The fact of the matter is, if enough members advocate a particular strategy, and we haven't tried it before, there is a reason to give it a shot. Through the history of the site, we've tried rules on both sides - very strict and very lax. Members tend to be happiest with the rule set when it is somewhere in between. The current rules are the best compromise we've been able to find.