New to civics: 96-98 Vs 99-00 engine differences

Bwboley

So I picked up my aunts 99 civic EX auto. I believe it had the d16y8. Well it threw a rod on the freeway. I picked it up from her to put in a engine and drive it. I found a d16y8 out of a 1997 that's was rebuilt not long ago but the car was wrecked.

Can I use the 97 engine. And use the 99 intake manifold? I heard something is different with the manifolds

Thanks

daperez13

Respected
Slight variations in parts may be there but a lot of the components are interchangeable. The motor should bolt right up to the chassis but if you have access to visually look at the 97, then just compare the two. I would try and source one from the same year or a 2000. Probably have better mileage and maybe it won't be a rebuilt engine, for around the same price.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
The engines are very similar but there are dramatic differences in intake manifolds between VTEC and non-VTEC motors.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The engines are very similar but there are dramatic differences in intake manifolds between VTEC and non-VTEC motors.
Both motors are vtec so he doesn't need to worry. Only difference between 96-98 and 99-00 manifold is the air injection on the 99-00 manifold, if you use the 99-00 manifold on the 96-98 you need to plug the air injection holes on the manifold or you will have a vacuum leak

Bwboley

Is there a benefit to the air injection? Will there be noticeable engine performance without it?

dancam

Registered VIP
Both motors are vtec so he doesn't need to worry. Only difference between 96-98 and 99-00 manifold is the air injection on the 99-00 manifold, if you use the 99-00 manifold on the 96-98 you need to plug the air injection holes on the manifold or you will have a vacuum leak
The 99-00's came with stock turbo's? :o
What is air injection? =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
The bolt pattern is the same but the overall design is different, throttle body position along with other components. Sorry as I meant to note I was speaking of Y7/Y8 differences. I thought I saw him mention the Y7 earlier. That was my mistake.

Also what I believe he is talking about (air injection) is actually the EGR port to allow recirculation of exhaust gas to lower cylinder temperatures. A lot of guys will remove the EGR valve and compensate it with ignition timing with whatever software they are tuning with.

upload_2015-12-20_13-12-42.png

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You are correct on the very noticable differences of the y7 intake and y8 intake. I am not talking about the egr port since the only model that has an egr would be the d16y5. The air injection is a cold start assist that bypasses the throttle body, I have not had issues without it but my car is not stock and has a chipped ecu. You have to plug the injection holes on the manifold if you use it or you will have a vacuum leak

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You are correct on the very noticable differences of the y7 intake and y8 intake. I am not talking about the egr port since the only model that has an egr would be the d16y5. The air injection is a cold start assist that bypasses the throttle body, I have not had issues without it but my car is not stock and has a chipped ecu. You have to plug the injection holes on the manifold if you use it or you will have a vacuum leak
You are correct.