new to forum and need help

jenkinsisme

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello everyone! I just bought a 93 civic ex that already has a greddy catback exhaust, hedman header, Zex racing camshaft, aem cai, and a coolant bypass mod. My question is, sometimes after driving, my car idles at about 800 rpm, and then jumps to about 1200 rpm. It continues to do this constantly at idle. What could be causing this? Is it the coolant bypass mod? Also, the engine is noisy under acceleration, but isn't when in neutral and I'm revving it. Is this the camshaft causing this noise? Thanks for any help everyone!

jenkinsisme

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I forgot to mention that it also has a ported throttle body. The noise it makes under acceleration is kind of a grinding sound. Thanks!

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
prolly the cam doing it. yur engine can rev high now most likely. internal mods r hell on engines.

is your a/c on when the idle does that? i know that when mine's idling with the a/c it drops to like 800 er so and pops back up to 1000 sometimes, but stays pretty much at 1000 when a/c is off. i think it's normal, but whoever messed with the car b4, musta turned the idle up justa tad.

get it looked at. :thumbs up:

jenkinsisme

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, the a/c compressor isn't running. It also doesn't do it always. Seems to do it more when I've been driving for a little while and come to a red light. It jumps from about 800rpm to about 1200 rpm give or take a little bit. It does this perfectly in time, not as if it isn't running right, but it still seems kind of annoying. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. What do you think?

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my car does this too....kind of..... it will idle at around 900 all the time but then sometimes it almost stalls out at 300-400. my mechanic friend says that my computer cant adjust to my cai or something like that. it usually does this after high speeds?????

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
reset... disconnect battery..wait....reconnect battery.....start car w/no fan or stepping on gas for 15 mins..... it's reset right?????? :what:

jenkinsisme

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, how do you go about resetting the ecu? You think this will help my problem?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Originally posted by "position..eh"

reset... disconnect battery..wait....reconnect battery.....start car w/no fan or stepping on gas for 15 mins..... it's reset right?????? :what:
Yup :D you disconnect it wait about 10 mins then start it without touching the gas for about 15 mins shut it the shut it off.

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dont forget to reset your clock and your fav radio stations!!!!!!

who listens to radio anyhow :roll: that's so 90's