New to the Honda world. And Son got a 1993 SI Coupe to use for autocross Help would be great!

robp201

Hey there!
So my 17 year old got a 93 Civic SI Coupe from his mom and he is gonna use it for Autocrossing this year.
So I am sure its been asked a million times, but anyone have some suggestions of performance parts for it (Suspension and small engine mods.)
We are looking at some 205/40 R17 offset 40 wheels for better grip on the course but wondering if anyone else has any suggestions.
Cheers
Rob

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
I personally dont autocross but think 17s would be a horrible choice, theres no sidewall for flex and grip.. i would think nothing bigger then 15s with some sticky Azenis or similar Nittos would work.. as far as suspension will it be a weekend track car or dedicated SCCA type car? Budget for project and such?? I can spend your cash worse then a wife with a Prada and heroin addiction but need to know some more info.. id love to see some pics of the project car to get an idea where to go..

Sent from my boujea ass phone

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15's would be the better choice, you can still put a tire on there with a decent sidewall on it.

Si coupe, assume this is a Canadian car?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
15's would be the better choice, you can still put a tire on there with a decent sidewall on it.

Si coupe, assume this is a Canadian car?

OPs profile shows Canada, so good solid assumption. :thumbs up

Also agree, 17's are a bit too big.

robp201

I personally dont autocross but think 17s would be a horrible choice, theres no sidewall for flex and grip.. i would think nothing bigger then 15s with some sticky Azenis or similar Nittos would work.. as far as suspension will it be a weekend track car or dedicated SCCA type car? Budget for project and such?? I can spend your cash worse then a wife with a Prada and heroin addiction but need to know some more info.. id love to see some pics of the project car to get an idea where to go..

Sent from my boujea ass phone
Thanks for the input.
Why would 15 be a better choice? In autocross we want as little side wall and maxium tread width because of the tight corners and higher speeds. I don't mind looking at 15's either but if I can get the same rolling diameters but a lower profile would that not work better?
The car is gonna be a weekend racer only as he has another car for daily driving. Just a good little project for him to learn some wrench time and give him satisfaction of building his own car. We know its not the fastest at all but he sure smiles driving it lol

So the Wing was his want (Found it at junkyard for $12 LOL) So he sanded and is painting it)
We fixed the rear bumper mounts so all tight now,
Sanding the rust and will touch up
put a new Exhaust system on ( Again full assy for $16 at the wreckers) We are looking at options for exhaust and intake but we must be under 93DB for the rules

So its a slow project but gonna be a fun summer.

As to suspension, We though maybe lowering it with a set of coil overs or to be a bit on the cheaper side a kit with springs and struts.

Heres a few pics,
I'll attach the video I took once I get it uploaded of the past weekend autocross event
Thanks

IMG_8647.JPG IMG_8648.JPG IMG_8649.JPG IMG_8650.JPG

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the input.
Why would 15 be a better choice? In autocross we want as little side wall and maxium tread width because of the tight corners and higher speeds.
Not entirely true. Stiff (shorter) sidewall means less flex. More (taller) sidewall means more flex. More flex means the patch of tire on the road will stick longer, and get a bit more lateral load out of it.

Of course, many other factors come into play. Suspension setup, tire pressure, wheels (weight), etc. are all factors.

http://yellowstonescca.com/race-info/autocrossing/

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the link!
Alot of good info there
Yep! Autocross isn't a high speed event. For me, most of the time is spent in 2nd gear. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend much in terms of engine mods. If anything, you'll want to focus on suspension and braking.

robp201

Yep! Autocross isn't a high speed event. For me, most of the time is spent in 2nd gear. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend much in terms of engine mods. If anything, you'll want to focus on suspension and braking.
Totally agree, I know many civic hatchback taking PAX wins consistently here as well a few times even Raw times