Newbie: '97 D16Y7 advice

WishOfATypeR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
more on the subject!!!

I want a N/A car for the street. Light to light racing with my club during the week, and maybe going to the circut track here and there. Am I really going to need the B18 swap? Also...if I buy an exhaust...is it going to be any good with a b18?Also...my vehicle is honda certified...99 white EX stick shift. Anyone have any input? Thanks!
-David

Also...go for the AEM intake...It sounds like pissed of vacum cleaner!! I felt more manly driving my economy car!

DLS TekNiQue

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well you see you could either throw thousands of dollars down on your current motor (like i did) and you will be pretty fast (high 14s-low 15s)

or you can throw the same money down on a b16 or b18 and get a little less power, but if you throw a little more money on tha swap building it up, even with bolt ons...youll get a lot more power. you see ive reached my motors capacity..i cant really do anything else to it...im stuck at running high 14s-low 15s...with a swap that wont happpen

CrIaVcIeCr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My savior...

You have just opened my eyes DLS. I was debating weather to get a B16 swap or or build up my current motor but you just made that decision so much easier for me.

THX

PEACE! :twisted:

DLS TekNiQue

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'll be doin a b16 swap within a year or two. im waiting until i need to get my car smogged again since it wont pass smog the way it is right now. the day before i get it smogged, ill take everything out and make it stock. the day after i get it smogged my car goes in for the swap :D

ill prolly get it smogged in a year or a year and a half

and by the way you can call me Dan

rashan

EX Beats me easy
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is something else you also may want to consider:

Dealers put extra "slack" in your throttle cable, so when grannies drive em, and they hit the pedal it dont rearend people as much...

basically you gotta move your pedal a few inches before the rpm's even move, so with the engine running, find your throttle body, and follow your throttle cable up a bit to the bracket, theres a double nut thing there, loosen one side, and then tighten the other side...

you want to remove as much slack as possible from the cable WITHOUT it raising the rpm.

makes the response time go up a little bit and might help with just about every motor out there with non electronic throttle. I know all my family's cars run with tightened cables ;)

***** ANY ONE NEED SOME CRX PARTS? GOT A FEW GIVE ME A HOLLER (also got a new set of d16y7 pistons + rings + wrist pins (used pins)******

BlackEJ6

Back to BlackEJ84!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UnitZero said:
someguy at riversidestreetracing.com is selling a vtec head for 100 bucks..

haha just scooped it up. BTW - with the SOHC u can get face if you put the money into it. if your going for show, theres a lot of cosmetic stuff. if you want a lil speed enhancement, go with bolt ons. ie - throttle body, header, catback exhaust, cia, etc. but if u want speed, go bolt ons + internals + nitrous. then u can get some power from the SOHC.

Enjoi

coming back to cars...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is the d16y7 the least powerful 6th gen honda engine?

ebbs306

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So basically if I am wiling to change everything to the EX setup, I will be fine? Does everthing mean the midpipe and the muffler too,or just the headers and the cat?

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was going to add in my comments to this thread, but I looked again and the guy only posted 7 times, way way back in 2002. Quit reviving old threads!

ebbs306

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
I was going to add in my comments to this thread, but I looked again and the guy only posted 7 times, way way back in 2002. Quit reviving old threads!
Thanks alot scumbag.