Newbie here

Ms Yarnley

Hi all. I am the owner of a new (to me) '13 civic. It's a cute little thing and I'm trying to adjust to a 4 cyl engine after almost 20 yrs with a V8 Ford.
So far I'm enjoying it.
Just thought I'd join here for some support and advice.
First thing: is it ok to use vinegar to clean the side mirrors and windows?
Also, my car didn't come with a spare key. Should I go to ace hardware to get one made or is this something I should leave to a pro?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First thing: is it ok to use vinegar to clean the side mirrors and windows?
It's just glass, why wouldn't' it be?
This is something very basic you can look up.

Also, my car didn't come with a spare key. Should I go to ace hardware to get one made or is this something I should leave to a pro?
Again, something very basic to look up...
The key will need to be programmed to start the car, this isn't as simple as it used to be with just getting the key cut.

Ms Yarnley

ok, maybe I should've been a bit more detailed. I asked about the vinegar because the manual says due to the defroster on the back window, only soft cloths should be used on the inside. I wonder if its ok to use vinegar on the outside of the back window
As for the spare key, I know it's coded. Ace hardware does copies for coded keys. I only asked for advice because I was told that a replacement done by a pro could run about $225. I'm hoping to save some money.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, maybe I should've been a bit more detailed. I asked about the vinegar because the manual says due to the defroster on the back window, only soft cloths should be used on the inside. I wonder if its ok to use vinegar on the outside of the back window
It's just the exterior of the glass, again, this is pretty basic, it's just glass.
You can also use diluted dishwashing liquid.
Keep vinegar away from the rubber and paint though, it has the possibility to corrode and dull.

Ace hardware does copies for coded keys. I only asked for advice because I was told that a replacement done by a pro could run about $225. I'm hoping to save some money.
As for this, IF they can code it correctly, then try them, see what they charge.
If they do it and it doesn't work, then you'd be out more time, money and trouble than it was worth.

Last edited: