newbie intro

obakerone

hey all,

I just acquired an 04 civic dx (I think). seems like a very base model as it has manual windows, mirrors and seats. I was originally thinking of doing mods to make it a sleeper but from what I've read so far it does not seem like this is the right model to do it. so for now I will be trying to make minor engine mods and cosmetic upgrades. so any recommendations of parts or ideas would be appreciated.

some things I'm looking at are exhaust, wheels (16s), suspension, spoiler, splitter, etc.

also, is the factory wiring harness already set up to convert to power windows and locks?

Thanks

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you're looking for power, don't even bother wasting money on that motor. You'll literally be throwing money out the window. There's little support for those D17 motors, for obvious reasons. If you want power, swap in a K or find a new platform...

My father has an 03 LX model, and it's literally a gas economy car/motor... Not worth putting money into the motor...you'll yield zero results...

As far as aesthetics go, wheels/lip kits/lowering are my suggestions. Those cars can look real legit with a nice drop, a nice offset wheel, and an OEM style looking lip kit. :thumbs up

obakerone

thanks Szady...that's what I'm looking for. I'd also like to try and stay with a minimal budget like using si parts where possible or any other compatible parts...even if its from a different model.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As far as putting Si parts on that car, literally NOTHING is compatible. The 7th Gen Si's are completely different bodies compared to the non-Si's.

What is your goal, exactly?

obakerone

Well I want to do the following: exhaust, struts/springs, sway bars, fog lights, spoiler, 16" wheels. It doesn't have power locks/windows so I was hoping to find a way to find a factory kit and convert it. I was hoping to make a sleeper out of it but from what I've been reading this is not the model to do it with. So basically I'm just going to make it look nice with a little performance posture.

upload_2016-6-9_18-43-30.jpg

obakerone

About two weeks ago I got a short ram intake from Amazon. Today, I went to the local pic-a-part to see what I could find and got a few small detail parts that the car was missing. I got two cabin air filter trays, two seat belt bolt caps and all 4 air vents with the chrome sliders and all for $15. Like I said...minor detail items. I did find a instrument cluster from a 05 but looks like someone tried to take it apart so I didn't want to chance it. I wouldn't mind finding one that has the tach on it since mine doesn't. I might go back later for an interior panel since the one I have is cracked but it is just too damn hot out here today.

obakerone

Well it's been a while so just wanted to throw a quick update. I've since done more routine maintenance and found that the engine possibly has some sludge in it. A oil change after only 2500 miles came out black as night. I replaced the plugs and not knowing the history it seems like they were in there for a while but they were still in decent shape. I got lucky at my local pic-a-part and found a spoiler from a '04 civic in matching color and a pair of painted windshield washer nozzles. I did find a pair of motorized mirrors but they were from a 4 door and are bigger that the 2 door version. Still no luck finding wheels I like any where so I'll keep looking.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
... the engine possibly has some sludge in it. A oil change after only 2500 miles came out black as night...
Oil is suppose to get black with regular usage. If you fear that you have gunk in your oil then make sure you use the correct viscosity and upgrade to synthetic oil for a few changes while using a quality filter (avoid Fram). What brand of filter, oil and weight have you been using?

obakerone

Oil is suppose to get black with regular usage. If you fear that you have gunk in your oil then make sure you use the correct viscosity and upgrade to synthetic oil for a few changes while using a quality filter (avoid Fram). What brand of filter, oil and weight have you been using?
Dude, give me some credit!! I know it will get black but this is BLACK like the oil that I take out of my diesel truck! Used oil should come out dark but not black. Of all the oil changes I've done in the last 20+ years I could always see through the oil as it drains. I'll probably throw some cleaner in it just before I do the next service. As for product, I've been using Mobil 1 and the recommended weight.