Newbie Swap Question (4th Gen Civic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndromedaTech

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey there everyone! I am a total newbie, but I am totally ready to learn. Here is the story - I have a 1989 Civic Si Hatchback that at this moment is completely stock. I have been the only owner since I bought it new many years ago, It has 170,000 miles on it, and since I may be coming into a bit of cash, I want to restore it. However, I do not want to restore it completely to stock specs. I want the outside to look the same (except it will be shinier with the new paint job). However, under the hood is going to be completely different.

Here is what I want to do: (dont laugh - remember I am just a newbie)

1. Swap the engine for a more powerful and faster one

2. Add cold air intakes and all of that

3. Put on some really nice suspension that does not lower the car too much if at all (it sits 8" off the ground right now, and I like it there)

I need advice on what parts I should get (ie what kind of engine (B16, B18, B20), what brand of air intakes and stuff, and suspension?)

All of that plus I am going to redo the sound system (the head unit is fine but the speakers leave much to be desired). Also, I am going to fix any little things that annoy me.

As for money, it is not too much of an object, though staying below $7500 would be nice. I found a place selling a B16A1 for $1600 + $250 to ship, I do not know if that is a ripoff or not, or even if it is the engine I should get.

I am definitely going to get a professional to do most, if not all of the work, how much would a professional charge to do an engine swap (average)? I mean are we talking $1000 or $2000 here? (of course assuming I am supplying the parts).

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

EVIL-cIvIc

P.I.M.P (BrONzE MeMbEr)
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm lets see u should be able to do a motor swap to a b16A2 i don't think a b18 will fit without alot of money spending, plus the clutch is hydrolic and not a wire clutch, for the intake u should go with a aem cold air intake costs about 150 on ebay, its a very good sports intake! then u should swap the headers for DC headers or sumtin. and if u want go for exahust or turbo, u could also swap the cam gears, cam shaft, ect... u should be able to afford most of that for under 7500, (maybe not the turbo)

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you got some nice aspariations.

Ominous G2

ClubIntegra.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A B18 should fit. I've seen many B18s and B20s in rexs. I'd go with the B16A1, seems like an ok price.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by EVIL-cIvIc
hmm lets see u should be able to do a motor swap to a b16A2 i don't think a b18 will fit without alot of money spending, plus the clutch is hydrolic and not a wire clutch, for the intake u should go with a aem cold air intake costs about 150 on ebay, its a very good sports intake! then u should swap the headers for DC headers or sumtin. and if u want go for exahust or turbo, u could also swap the cam gears, cam shaft, ect... u should be able to afford most of that for under 7500, (maybe not the turbo)
ok so much is wrong......putting a obd2 motor(b16a2, if your talking of the Si motor) into a pre obd car is just asking for problems, and is going to take HELLA wiring....and is a lot more than a b16a1....Second a b16a2 motor is hydrolic as well not cable...you can put a b18a in that car and will bolt right in....your main, pretty much only motor choices are the b18a and b16a (sirI) you can get a b16a(sirI) for about 1000-1200 bucks depending on site...at http://www.passwordjdm.com[\url] you can get a complete b16 1st gen for 1299 plus shipping(about 2-300 dollars), which is the best deal ive found....second a intake is a intake pretty much i bought mine for 45 dollars shipped, works like a cahrm....second dont swap headerS swap header...unless your going to turbo in teh future if so then keep the stock manifold until you do turbo....to install your motor your looking at around 1000, maybe less so for well under 3 grand prolly well under 2500 you will have a professional installed b16a1....hope this helps.....

AndromedaTech

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone for responding! I have settled on the B16A1 - easy enough install, 62HP more than what I have right now, and the price is right. One quick question though - what does LSD mean? I was looking at the engines, and a B16A1 is $1300, but a B16A1 with LSD is $300 more - is it worth it?

Thanks in advance

souperman

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not get a used 18a setup for around five hundred and do a rebuild? by the time you are done, you'll probably know how to put it in.

b18 is good for torque. b18a came in 90-91 integra,b18b came in 94 on... old are cable tranny and new are hydro.
word

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lsd is worth it y0. lsd stands for limited slip differential. there is another post going around right now that talks about lsd. actually i think its the post that has melt and biohazard flamming on a n00b. but in the post it talks about lsd. ill post it up if i can find it

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
since your motor is a little bit less in price id reccommend gettting LSD...nothing like smokey dual tire burnouts =)

Status
Not open for further replies.