no reverse!!!!!

Zoom

5+ Year Member
A friend bought an early 90's honda, like a 91 or 92 civic hatch.

Everything works great, and he said "it pulls... uh.. pretty good in every forward gear..."

There is no reverse, it doesnt even try to "catch". (AUTOMATIC btw)

Is this a common problem, and is there a cheap remedy for it?

It needs inspection, and I think the emmission nazi's want reverse to work. Plus, pushing the damn thing backwards all the time would become a pain.

Thanks, Drew.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what year is it actually? the models changes from 91 to 92.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its prolly a shifter cable problem..it might be out of adjust ment..or the trans might be low on fluid.

Zoom

5+ Year Member
Yea, I havent got a chance to actually look at the car yet, but thats what I was hoping on.

I know on my friends 90 subaru legacy awd the same thing happened.... and when we flushed the tranny with new fluid, the forward gears stopped working, but he did craziest awd burnouts in reverse lol......

Is there any kind of vacuum module, or vacuum lines that go to the transmission?

Is the transmission controlled by a computer? Is there a reverse relay or something?

What type of fluid does an automatic honda tranny take?

Thanks, Drew.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no need to double post bro, and more than likely the clutches are gone

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT CHANGE THE FLUID WITH ALL NEW FLUID!!!!! you will blow the seals out of it. the tranny will not like the fresh clean fluid and it will ruin the jets in there. drain the fluid and then put about 1/3 of it back and then put new fluid in. you dont believe me? we went through about 3 of them before we figured it out

Volitech

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Snake_Shit said:
WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT CHANGE THE FLUID WITH ALL NEW FLUID!!!!! you will blow the seals out of it. the tranny will not like the fresh clean fluid and it will ruin the jets in there. drain the fluid and then put about 1/3 of it back and then put new fluid in. you dont believe me? we went through about 3 of them before we figured it out
I've swaped a bunch of trannys some d series and some b-series and I use fresh honda tranny oil and I've never had one problem with seals blowing out! I know people that change their tranny oil every time they change the engine oil and they have no trouble either!

Zoom

5+ Year Member
Yea, Ive noticed all automatics dont like new fluids if they have been enjoying the same stuff for very long.... lol.. Im hoping its low, or a fuse, or something easy.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Volitech said:
I've swaped a bunch of trannys some d series and some b-series and I use fresh honda tranny oil and I've never had one problem with seals blowing out! I know people that change their tranny oil every time they change the engine oil and they have no trouble either!
well i changed my fluid in my old 94 accord at at 150k miles then at 163k it started going out .... wouldnt shift when the car was cold and would rev free .... but if the car was warmed up it ran fine