Non-VTEC D16Y8?

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was just told that my motor is non-vtec. My friend said he didn't see a solonoid under the distributer cap. Where exactly is it located? I would really like to know. My D16Y8 is getting the ax anyhow...but the dealer sold it to me telling me it was a VTEC...so I would like to get some false-advertising money (sue their butts). Also....how would I not have VTEC when I hear it, and I have smoked 92-95 EX's and 93-00 Teg GS/LS/RS's?

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u have VTEC

Myogi_Nightkid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ yes you have a SOHC-VTEC. the D16Y7 found in DX & CX hatches and DX coupes have the SOHC non VTEC.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Myogi_Nightkid"

^^ yes you have a SOHC-VTEC. the D16Y7 found in DX & CX hatches and DX coupes have the SOHC non VTEC.
and lx sedans

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I took off my valve cover today to count my lobes...how exactly do you count them...and how many should a a SOHC vtec have?

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WELL YOU MIGHT GOT SCAM.. THE BLOCK IS D16Y8 BUT THE HEAD IS NOT.. THERES NO SOLONOID. THAN YOU GOT F***, BETTER FILE A LAWSUIT QUICK.. SOHC CANT EVEN FEEL IT OR BARLEY HEAR IT.. IF YOU SMOKE A LS/RS/ THAN THEY PROLLY DOTN KNOW HOW TO DRIVE.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why is he yelling? vtec cams have two small lobes and one large central lobe......... so, you should have 12 lobes in four sets of three

deval

Sprint/Nextel Geek
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "M706"

Myogi_Nightkid said:
and lx sedans
not in the 2000 LX sedan right? i know i have the stock motor, so i think its non-vtec

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah....what do ya know...my friend bullshitted me. All D16Y8 motors came VTEC without exception. I believed him in the first place because he builds motors in his sleep, and has about 6 self swapped hondas, and a motorswapping business!

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This guy lives and breaths freaken honda...hes awesome though. He is giving me a job at his shop this summer and teaching me everything about B series, H series, F series, J series, transmissions, and swapping. He also right now has done all my suspention work. He has like 2 CRX's, a Turbo II (rx7), and AE86 (Panda), 2x 2nd gen Integras, and a Celica ST (about to be turned into a All-Track). I'd say thats a cool list of cars. Hit me up if you need a good price on parts...