Noob engine question.

d16yb-96

5+ Year Member
Im getting a swap for my 1996 Civic Ex. Im thinking about putting in a b16a 2nd gen and i was wondering what other parts i would need to complete the swap.
The engine comes with this:
complete Motor
Complete Head
Intake Manifold
Distributor
Wiring Harness
ECU
VTEC Solonoid
Starter
5 Speed tranny
Exhaust
Alternator
Throttle Body
Fuel Rail
Injectors

I have the stock d16y8 in right now. Thanks for the help.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this has been covered MANY times. search and you will get better answers.

you also need
motor mounts
rear bracket
axels
shift linkage

again, search the threads, there are many post with more details about this swap

99SilverCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you don't get a harness based on what car the motor came out of, you get it based on the chassis the motor is going in.

In other words, you are thinking of B16A gen2 that is OBD1 motor, your car is OBD2A, you should use an OBD2A harness to that everything plugs into all you chasis plugs on your car. I'm assuming your engine is a D16Y8 since you have an EX, you already have VTEC, you can use your stock harness for the B16 motor, most stuff will plug right up.
Here are some things that will not work with your stock harness:
1.) Alternator will not, but you can take a OBD1 plug and wire it to your harness, it's a piece of cake.
2.) Injectors will not, but i have heard that you can use Y8 injectors on a B16, but double check that.
3.) Distributor will not, you can rewire it, or you can get a jumper harness HERE.
4.) OBD1 ECU will not plug into your harness, so get a harness HERE, boomslang is not cheap, but they make good quality products.

99SilverCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To save money, you don't have to get a motor mount kit, here's a list of mounts you will need:
1.) Rear engine bracket: http://passwordjdm.com/OEM-EK-Civic-Rear-Engine-Bracket-B-Series-P1709C363.aspx or at your local Honda dealership, or ebay.
2.) If your car has a manual transmisson, transmisson mount will work with B16 swap.
3.) your motor mount on the drivers side wil also work with B16 swap.
4.) the torque mounts on the front of the engine will have to be swapped for the B-series counterparts.
These came with my motor.
I got a bushing kit from energy suspension for my motor mounts because they were worn out.

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why spend all that money on a b16? i mean im not trying to kill your idea but b16's are over rated. Build your single slam then boost it... spend alot less money and make a shitload more power. But if you are stuck on gettin a b16a2, b16a1, or whichever one get it. But i would advise to have someone help that knows how to do swaps, speaking from experiance its a b***h finding s**t out after you have installed it!!! lol and good luck.