noob engine question

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by locosammy, Oct 12, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. locosammy

locosammy New Member

I have a 95 honda civic ex with a d16z7 with manual tranny. im new to civic platform and in need of help. My car all of a sudden while at idle or driving at low gears the rpm's go up and down on their own and car ocasionally dies. I thought it was the car needing a tune up so i changed plug wires radiator cap rotor and have even messed with the timing and it is still dooing it. Is there something that im missing?

2. Kensai

Kensai ♪♫♪♫♪~ Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Make sure that the vacuum lines going to the IACV are good and secure, and that the bolts that are holding it down to the intake manifold are tight.

If everything seems ok, try cleaning it with brake fluid and see if the problem persists.

3. reichbc

reichbc "Brandon"

what? coolant lines, my friend.

What Kensai said is correct, make sure the COOLANT lines are secure. Not so much important than the idea that the IACV is mounted snugly against the intake manifold.

Also, make sure your throttle body and intake manifold bolts are tight. There are 4 bolts holding them together.

Give the IACV a good cleaning too. Brake fluid or throttle body cleaner should clean it out rather well. Follow the instructions here:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1575913
    (credit to RonJ's sig for the link)

If you clean it and it still acts up, try replacing it.

4. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Why are you messing with timing....?

Any check engine lights?

5. locosammy

locosammy New Member

Thanks everyone ill try that and see what happens. The only reason im messing with timing is because one of my friends with so called honda civic experience told me so, because it has happened to him as well. The thing i am getting with this problem is engine bogging down really low in RPM before it shuts off then the display only shows a battery light. This happens when the car is idling from a fresh start or while on the road driving and then coming to a stop.