o2 plugged into header giving me CEL.

Dnguyen92

Ok so when I first got my car I noticed that the o2 is plugged straight up into the header. I dont know if this is the only problem that's giving me a cel code but lets hope that it is. I'm pretty sure it doesn't belong there.. so where am I supposed to rout it to?

reichbc

"Brandon"
What year and model car are you discussing?

Yes, the o2 sensor is designed to be screwed into the header. It reads the air quality and feeds it to the ECU so that it can adjust fuel rates.

As for it giving you a CEL, what's the code? If the code description is anything with "low voltage", replace the sensor and check your wiring.

If it's "high voltage" check for shorts.

Good luck!

Dnguyen92

Yes, the o2 sensor is designed to be screwed into the header. It reads the air quality and feeds it to the ECU so that it can adjust fuel rates.

As for it giving you a CEL, what's the code? If the code description is anything with "low voltage", replace the sensor and check your wiring.

Good luck!
This is for a 92 hatch. so its foreal supposed to be plugged in straightinto the header? How would I check the the code that its throwing? I have a volt meter I just don't really know how to use it...LOL 1:P

reichbc

"Brandon"
This is for a 92 hatch. so its foreal supposed to be plugged in straightinto the header? How would I check the the code that its throwing? I have a volt meter I just don't really know how to use it...LOL 1:P

Yes, the o2 sensor is for real mounted right into the header. =)

To retrieve the CEL code for the car, you have to remove the passenger side kick panel to expose the ECU and jump a plug.

Read through the 5 steps and let us know what the code is. We may then begin to help you fix it =)

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

Good luck!
Pretty much nailed it, by check your wiring he means there might be some high-ish resistance in one of the wires if the code is for low voltage.

OP: You need to get a scanner and check the actual code.

Dnguyen92

Yes, the o2 sensor is for real mounted right into the header. =)

To retrieve the CEL code for the car, you have to remove the passenger side kick panel to expose the ECU and jump a plug.

Read through the 5 steps and let us know what the code is. We may then begin to help you fix it =)

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557
hmmm well I'm actually pretty new to this.. So I had my volt meter and I found that piece in the link you showed me. How do I check the voltage? What's the mode i'm supposed to set the meter to? Where do I poke with the black and red needles.. LOL I feel hella dumb but foreal I'm lost!

Cobl18

Registered VIP
The black needles are for your negative wire and the red needle is your positive. You need to set the volt-o-meter to DC (direct current) that's the kind of power your car uses. (your house uses AC (alternating current))

reichbc

"Brandon"
hmmm well I'm actually pretty new to this.. So I had my volt meter and I found that piece in the link you showed me. How do I check the voltage? What's the mode i'm supposed to set the meter to? Where do I poke with the black and red needles.. LOL I feel hella dumb but foreal I'm lost!
You don't use a voltmeter to jump the service connector. LIke I said, read through the instructions.

Get yourself a paperclip, stick it into both holes on that plug, and then turn your key to the second position and watch your CEL. Check back at that link for how to tell what code it's giving you.

Also, I doubt that your o2 sensor is throwing the CEL, i believe this is because only OBD2 systems throw codes for messed up o2 sensors. You have a single-wire o2 sensor.

Get the CEL code for us, follow the instructions in that link, and we'll sort this out =) :thumbs up

Dnguyen92

You don't use a voltmeter to jump the service connector. LIke I said, read through the instructions.

Get yourself a paperclip, stick it into both holes on that plug, and then turn your key to the second position and watch your CEL. Check back at that link for how to tell what code it's giving you.

Also, I doubt that your o2 sensor is throwing the CEL, i believe this is because only OBD2 systems throw codes for messed up o2 sensors. You have a single-wire o2 sensor.

Get the CEL code for us, follow the instructions in that link, and we'll sort this out =) :thumbs up

Haha thanks guys. =) ill get right to it!... Right after I can find someone to put in a new clutch for me. My prssure plate is fcked up now kawawa )': so now I'm just gonna replace the clutch.. Damn dude this sucks! Now I gota find a ride to class.. Or bus. Dang man.. Anyone know rates for a clutch installation?