OBD1 distributor wiring

99SilverCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just dropped in a jdm sir2 b16a obd1 motor into my 99 CX (obd2b) used a 00ex harness with some modifications to plugs, and a boomslang obd1(ecu) to obd2b(wiring) harness.
Here's my question:

the obd1 dizzy on the b16 has a regular big plug, 8wires(not exactly sure) and another 2-wire plug, with blue wire and black/yellow, I would like to know how to wire them up, all of the wiring diagrams don't help me any....
any help is appreciated

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Let me find my write up for you.

If they would just add it to how-to/tech forum then you could find it easier :lol:

Here you go
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=91064

I should have added pics to the write up. But it.s straight forward. If you have questions just pm me.

Basically you have a 8pin plug on your ex harness. Your obd1 dizzy has a 7pin and 2pin. Only thing you will need to get is a 2pin plug to add to your ex harness.
On that 2pin plug there will be a black wire. That connects to the big black wire off of your 8pin. Then you need to run a blue wire (tach signal) from the 2pin over to the blue rpm signal wire on the driver side strut tower. There is a main harness over there that has a blue wire with a cap on it. remove the cap and connect the two blue wires together. this will give you a tach signal. Then connect the 2plug wire you added to your EX harness to the 2pin plug on the dizzy. Pretty easy. The 8pin plug will connect to the 7pin plug from what I remember.

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99SilverCX said:
I just dropped in a jdm sir2 b16a obd1 motor into my 99 CX (obd2b) used a 00ex harness with some modifications to plugs, and a boomslang obd1(ecu) to obd2b(wiring) harness.
Here's my question:

the obd1 dizzy on the b16 has a regular big plug, 8wires(not exactly sure) and another 2-wire plug, with blue wire and black/yellow, I would like to know how to wire them up, all of the wiring diagrams don't help me any....
any help is appreciated

So you finaly dropped in the b16 huh?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would just use a obd2 dizzy, to save the headache

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how difficult was droping everything in becaues i am thinking of doin the same in my 97 ex

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
drive to my town, in nepa bring the engine and whatever you got, I'll have that pig in and done in less then one night.

99SilverCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the help

So I got my dizzy wired up, the car starts, but it sputters quite a bit, not sure what the issues is
Didn't have much time to mess with it, so I'll be looking at it tomorrow morning.

The swap wasn't hard at all.
Got the b16a gen2 obd1 motor with lsd tranny, axles, and linkage from JDM-Online.com, Naser helped me with the whole process.
Got the rear mount from the local Honda dealership for 54$, cheaper than password:jdm by like 20$.

Few things I encountered in the process:
1. Lower Transmission mount has to be B-Series one. I didn't know about that. The driver's upper and transmission top mount were from my d16.

2. I needed to rewire the alternator plug, because I used a 00 EX harness, so I had to use the OBD1 plug for the OBD1 alternator that came with the motor. You can't use D-Series alternator.

3. Had to wire the 2-pin distributor wire to work with the EX harness. Followed DetainedCivic's thread on how to do that.

4. Needed to run the MAP sensor from the trhottle body nipple to the d16 sensor I salvaged from the old motor, just mounted it on the firewall and ran the wires to it.

5. Exhaust manifold gasket needs to be off a GSR. I got an 00 SI gasket, and it didn't work.

I will add other ones after I figure out what's wrong with my swap.

Use DetainedCivic's write up: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=91064 for more info