Octane Level for 2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan

What octane does the 2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stormie

Hello -

I recently bought a 2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan. When purchasing the vehicle, the dealer told me it took 87 octane gasoline. However, the owners manual says all vehicles with a 'Sport' mode take 91 octane. What confuses me is every Civic for my generation from the EX-T trim level and up uses the 1.5 liter I4 engine with a turbo - would all of them require 91 octane? Or is it just the Civic Si and the Civic Type R? Please help clarify this for me because I want to take proper care of my vehicle, but I also don't want to waste money on octane I don't need.

Thank you in advance!

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The 1.5T motor is tuned for 87 octane. Using 91 octane without the appropriate tune would yield little to no hp

brockshields38

I have an ‘18 LX sedan 2.0 N/A and I run 91 or higher all the time simply because the fuel mileage is better and over the years I won’t have the issues that ethanol wreaks on your internals. Something to think about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjetman

The problem is that the salesman who sold me the car ,said that the 2021 Civic Sport Hatchback definitely takes Regular 87 octane. The owners manual says to use Premium 91 octane, even on the gas door it says recommended Premium fuel. I called the salesman after reading the owners manual and he still insisted that the car takes 87 octane. Very conflicting. I will follow the owners manual recommended fuel and use 91 octane. All salesmen are pieces of crap, even if they work for Honda .

From the owners manual. Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 2021.

Fuel Information
Fuel recommendation

Models without 18 or 20 inch wheels Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic knocking noise that can lead to engine damage.
Models with 18 or 20 inch wheels Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noise in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
Use of a gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage.
The use of regular unleaded gasoline can cause metallic knocking noises in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
Top tier detergent gasoline

Because the level of detergency and additives in gasoline vary in the market, Honda endorses the use of “TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline” where available to help maintain the performance and reliability of your vehicle. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline meets a new gasoline standard jointly established by leading automotive manufacturers to meet the needs of today’s advanced engines.
Check out your Owner's Manual for information.