ODB reader wifi iPhone?

Pjotter

OBD reader wifi iPhone?

I'm new to the whole OBD thing but sadly I have enough experience with it with my old VW Polo 6n2. (http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=208068)

I'm planning on selling it, but before I wanted to read out the error code it has been giving me every time. It might be a quick fix if I know what it is...

So I did some searching and found some standard OBD readers. That will show you an big code when scanning. But then I also found that there are some iOS and Android Apps out there that will let you use your smart phone as a reader. All you need is a cable, wifi or Bluetooth connected OBD reader and your good to go. Big nerd that I am I'm willing tot spent a couple extra bucks if it lets me use my iPhone instead of a clunky plastic box with 2 buttons that will only show me a long error code instead of a nice user interface with lots of extra cool features like a ref meter etc.

I'm wondering If any one ever tried something like this and if so do tell =)

Review from thinkgeek. (lol at the gearhead on 0:23 :D )

edit, mmm somehow the embed youtube doesn't really work.... so here is the url:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VtGmGSJBuw

Cobl18

Registered VIP
i have heard of what your talking about. I bought a really nice code reader for 50 bucks that tells you the code and possible causes. it also does all the live date and if you hook it up to the computer it can data log. works great I love it. I'm not sure if the app could data log with out the really expensive wireless OBD port plugs with some sort of memory stick that goes in it. I'm not sure what you want to do with it, but if you want some nice interface and swanky gauges get the app, if you want function over form get the reader.

alex_n/a

stocker
this all sounds very cool. I was going to get a port connection that hooks up to a computer and logs your ecu info but if there was a way to use an iphone or even ipod over bluetooth I would get it. Hoping that software and hardware don't cost well over 200$ I'm going to have to research this more.

Pjotter

@Cob18, it not only "swanky gauges" it also does reaching the check engine light and can reset it. So it does that and a little more. And because you have a divice with internet on it it had the option to look for the error code without connecting to a pc.

@alex_n/a, yupe it does iPod touch aswel. the hardware cost around 60 buck on ebay and the app itself is around 30. Not sure about the ebay thing though. there is also the PLX Kiwi (http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html) that comes with the option for some extra meters etc.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've been looking into these code readers as well.
What i've seen its only OBDII up so it doesn't support OBD0 or OBDI. I haven't heard about any first hand experience so i haven't tried one out yet. I'd like to hear from anyone who has and more so if you've tried several different ones.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Y not just jump the service connector then watch the flashes on ur cel. I've done it in both an obd1 and obd2. Cost me walking in the house to find a paper clip and looking up the cel codes in a thread here on CC. Just saying for those who don't have or want to spend cash on that stuff. I mean if u need to look up ur cel often enough to warrant an expensive scanner u might have bigger problems lol

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I have both Rev & Dashcommand on my iPhone & I first bought a cheap Bluetooth OBDII adapter from eBay & found out that the iPhone BT isn't supported by either app, so I ordered a wifi adapter & it wouldn't connect because it was bad so I got my money back & that was also an eBay purchase, go with a name brand, it's way more expensive but worth it, still waiting to get my new wifi one to try it but videos I have seen makes it worth it if it works.

Pjotter

Well I have both Rev & Dashcommand on my iPhone & I first bought a cheap Bluetooth OBDII adapter from eBay & found out that the iPhone BT isn't supported by either app, so I ordered a wifi adapter & it wouldn't connect because it was bad so I got my money back & that was also an eBay purchase, go with a name brand, it's way more expensive but worth it, still waiting to get my new wifi one to try it but videos I have seen makes it worth it if it works.
Yeah I've seen the e-Bay connectors running for about 50 buck or so but a brand one will run about 3 times as much... Which one are you getting now? Let us know when you do I'm curious =)

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Y not just jump the service connector then watch the flashes on ur cel. I've done it in both an obd1 and obd2. Cost me walking in the house to find a paper clip and looking up the cel codes in a thread here on CC. Just saying for those who don't have or want to spend cash on that stuff. I mean if u need to look up ur cel often enough to warrant an expensive scanner u might have bigger problems lol
Its not just for reading trouble codes. You can also do real time logging and viewing of whats going on.
Plus owning 3 vehicles and helping others, this makes it really easy to do.
I do agree with the cheaper alternative and its ease as well. I've done that several times but having the other functions available will be nice. That is if i ever get around to buying it. :/

Cobl18

Registered VIP
jailbreak your iphone and get the expensive apps for free, that would save you some money if moneys a issue. I only have one because all my friends and my girlfriend are car junkies so it really helps that i can just plug my scanner in and tell them whats wrong. Can you listen to pandora or music off your iphone while your using it?

Pjotter

jailbreak your iphone and get the expensive apps for free, that would save you some money if moneys a issue. I only have one because all my friends and my girlfriend are car junkies so it really helps that i can just plug my scanner in and tell them whats wrong. Can you listen to pandora or music off your iphone while your using it?
Good question, well it uses the wifi to connect to the iPhone but I don't know if it could run on 3G at the same time. The iPhone might want to try getting internet via the Wifi. Using Bluetooth however eliminates that problem. Btw there is also an option to go for a cable. Like the one shown in the video.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
i would go with the cable, if your like me you have a bluetooth for talking while your driving and you like having the internet so you can listen to pandora too. I wonder if it would charge your phone while it was connected,because im thinking this would drain your battery really fast without it charging somehow.

alex_n/a

stocker
I would rather get the wired version. Wifi and bluetooth is cool but plug and play would make it so much easier.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well can't use the BT version with the iPhone unless it's jailbroken & have RoqyBT app installed with the OBD addon but works fine with Android BT & the Torque app, I hear the wifi adapter is the best option to go wireless but wired gets you results faster. I chose not to get the wifi one yet, need to wait till after the holidays to see what I can afford. I have tested the cheap BT adapter but doesn't give me rpm's or speed for some odd reason on either app I have so I may go wired when I do get one.

Pjotter

Did some thinking on the whole subject but seeing both the cable and the wifi adaptor will cost at least 100 bucks. Thats ex the iPhone app that will also run for about 30. For me that is a bit to much for just checking / deleting codes. So I'm thinking of going for a normal scanner. But don't know what to look for. What are some good / cheap scanners out there that will read and delete the codes?

Pjotter

So yeah, I bought an nice handheld scanner (MaxiScan MS300) for 35 euro. comes with CD and manual with codes. Plugged in on to the OBD connector and had is scan the car. Result: code P0171. The one the garage got the first time. After an evening of searching Also found out the garage did every thing posible. Scanning and clearing the code was easy.