Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
DIY: Mishimoto half length radiator install on a 1997 Honda Civic

Applicable Years: 92-00 Honda Civic

Difficulty: 2 out of 5

Estimated Time: 2hrs

Upgrading your radiator to increase engine performance and cooling efficiency is really an easy task. And Mishimoto makes an affordable aluminum radiator to do just that and the quality is great. I finally decided to replace my Koyo radiator. It was too thick causing it to hit my turbo being forced to sit crooked, not really being secured.

Here is a comparison of the old Koyo and the new Mishimoto. You can see the Mishimoto is a bit thinner and not quite as wide, which will fit just perfect in my engine bay.

Mishimoto Honda Civic Radiator 1992-2000
The half length civic radiator is a perfect upgrade for anyone looking to increase engine performance and cooling efficiency. Popular among import tuners, this half sized radiator can also be tailored towards B and D series motors in custom applications (note: Mishimoto cannot give technical or installation help on custom application installations).

Model: MMRAD-CIV-92

MSRP: $250.00

Tech Specs

Core Size: 350mm x 358mm
Rows: 2
Inlet: 32mm
Outlet: 32mm
Core Thickness: 42mm
Tank Wall Thickness: 2mm
Fill Neck : 31mm

Note: This item is for Manual Transmission vehicles. For automatic applications, please purchase optional Mishimoto transmission cooler (P/N: MMTC-U)

Purchase Includes: Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto 1.1Bar Rad Cap, 1 Year Warranty

Installation:
  1. To start, jack the front of the car up using the recommended steps in your operators manual.
  2. Next remove the drain plug, draining the coolant into a drain pan. Remove the radiator cap to help the fluid flow faster.

3. Once all of the coolant is drained you can remove the upper reservoir hose, upper radiator hose and lower radiator hose.

4. Next unbolt, unplug and remove the radiator fan. I was using a slim fan in "pusher" mode in front of the radiator.
  5. Once everything is disconnected from the radiator, remove it.

6. Install the new Mishimoto radiator into place. Making sure the feet seat correcting below.

7. Mount and connect the fan. I had to switch my slim fan back to a puller since it is now back in the stock position.

8. Reconnect the upper, lower, and reservoir hoses.Now I just need to get a new upper radiator hose since mine is to short.

9. Fill the radiator up with 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water.
  10. To bleed the system, allow the car warm up to operating temperature with the radiator cap off to allow air bubbles to escape. Shut the car off and refill will coolant and replace the cap.
For more information on this product and any other Mishimoto products, please visit www.mishimoto.com

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Great write-up :thumbs up.

Might sound silly but do these type of radiators help at all with stock motors (particularly a D-Series)? Or would it be the same as just buying any radiator? Just curious that's all.

Lonestar

Honda Driver
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does anyone know off the top of their head the fan size for a 6th gen? If I swapped my rad with this one, I'd like to do the fan too.

By the way, nice write-up.

CivicMafia

5+ Year Member
Actually, im 99.9% sure you want to fill it up cold, or while its running, Dont let it warm up. Unless you really feel like taking a risk of replacing your block

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Great write up, but as Amej8 said....
"Might sound silly but do these type of radiators help at all with stock motors (particularly a D-Series)? Or would it be the same as just buying any radiator? Just curious that's all."

Because i got a DX, and i think my radiator is going bad...

jon julian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just installed my fullsize mushi in my DC2....damn it looks blingin...makes bay look more appealing...

since im not running a slim fan, i had to trim a little bit plastic off my stock fan so it wouldnt melt on my header and a simple 3 or 4mm notch for the upper rad hose...i did it with a knife in couple min, nothing to sweat though..... only thing was once i started the car it started pissin a lil stream out of the fluid release nut inbetween the rubber gasket....but nothing that lil teflon tape couldnt fix.

so it works the way it should and fits like a glove. im happy with it.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
just installed this rad in my EK a few days ago...fits perfect. no complaints on my end!

mattman3

got rice?
5+ Year Member
can i take my stock radiator fan off my stock radiator and put it on the mishimoto one or do i have to get a different fan?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
can i take my stock radiator fan off my stock radiator and put it on the mishimoto one or do i have to get a different fan?
The stock fan will bolt up to the Mishimoto radiator. I assume you have a 92-00 civic? I also just pm'd you a price on a radiator if you are looking to buy one.

- Justin

I own a 2000 civic si, I wanna replace the stock rad with a mishimoto would the stock fan fit or would I have to get a slimfan

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
The stock fan will fit. If you want a price on the radiator let me know.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How's the fitment between the top of the radiator and the upper radiator support? My Koyo (just like what JayJay replaced in his write up) doesn't clear the upper rad support, i had to push the radiator down as far as i could, then wedged it under neither the upper rad support.

imfromdade15

5+ Year Member
does this radiator work for a automatic transmission, summer is coming and it gets really hot and humid in miami and would like my engine to stay cool.

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
does this radiator work for a automatic transmission, summer is coming and it gets really hot and humid in miami and would like my engine to stay cool.
Yes, the radiator will work with your Automatic transmission, however, you would be required to run a transmission cooler. We actually offer those, too.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!