• 64mm plenum opening
• Factory throttle body may be reused
• Utilizes factory sensors
• Larger plenum and runners to optimize horsepower
• Smoother finish to optimize air flow
• Modified #4 intake entry
• Significant mid to high-range power gains

Purchase a Skunk2 Intake Manifold
http://www.tunersports.com/products/skunk2/skunk2-pro-series-intake-manifold_114.html

Product Photos:

The Install Process:

Disconnect your negative battery terminal and drain coolant.

Relieve fuel pressure by loosening the banjo bolt on the top of the fuel filter and remove the fuel line at the rail. Then disconnect the lines from the fuel pressure regulator and remove the fuel injector clips.

Remove your intake from the throttle body. Then disconnect all hoses and sensors leading to the intake manifold and throttle body including your throttle cable bracket.

Unbolt the manifold from the cylinder head. Remove the intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel rail as one unit. Inspect intake manifold gasket. Replace as needed. Make sure to note all disconnected hoses and sensors.

Unbolt the throttle body from the intake manifold; inspect the throttle body gasket for damage and replace as needed. Unscrew the throttle body studs from the flange and reinstall in the new manifold (make sure that when lining up the throttle body gasket, the U-shaped portion faces top-left-corner of flange).

Remove fuel rail assembly and install in the new manifold, including the fuel rail studs. Inspect o-rings and replace as needed.

From the factory intake manifold, unbolt and remove the idle air control valve and intake air temperature valve to install into the new manifold.

Bolt on manifold-throttle body-fuel rail assembly back onto cylinder head, making sure that the manifold gasket is positioned properly and securely. Connect the evaporative emissions purge control solenoid valve. Due the new intake manifold design, there is no mounting location for the EVAP purge control solenoid valve. It is recommended the unit be zip-tied to a secure location. For 94-95 vehicles, one hose end will plug into the charcoal canister and the other hose end will plug into the small vacuum fitting located on the rear of the new intake manifold. For 96-01 vehicles, please refer to the note below.

The FPR host will be re-plugged into the small vacuum fitting located on the front of the new intake manifold.

Bolt on and connect the fuel injector harness holder and hoses. Connect TPS, map sensor, and fuel line. Tighten the banjo bolt on the top of the fuel filter.

Connect batter and replace coolant.

Any unused fittings can be plugged by using vacuum caps

I ended up eventually getting a Type R throttle body bracket, throttle cable, and LS throttle pulley to make the install a bit cleaner looking.

Note:
1996-2001 vehicles are OBD II and equipped with a different-type EVAP purge control solenoid compared to that of pre-1996 vehicles.

1996-2001 EVAP: The EVAP purge control solenoid valve will not have a mounting point due to the new design of the manifold. It is recommended thtat the unit be zip-tied to a secure location. In order to connect the EVAP purge control solenoid valve, a T-fitting must be used to re-fit the PCV hose and EVAP hose onto the larger vacuum fitting located on the manifold plenum body.

1996-2001 PCV: The upper and lower Type-R PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) hoses will be used to reconnect the breather chamber to the PCV valve, to the T-fitting opposite of the EVAP hose.

1996-2001 Linkage: As an option, the Type-R throttle body cable and mounting bracket can be used.

Anatomy of an Intake Manifold – Skunk2 vs. Clone
Click here to view the PDF file.

Skunk2 vs. Stock Intake Manifold Photos:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

steve98ex

say no to rotas
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
very nice write up justin. i just bought a gsr and it has the older skunk2 mani on it and it came with the stock one also. how does the new one perform? i was thinking about putting the stock back on for the BAR process but I might just keep it on there and see how it goes.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
steve98ex said:
very nice write up justin. i just bought a gsr and it has the older skunk2 mani on it and it came with the stock one also. how does the new one perform? i was thinking about putting the stock back on for the BAR process but I might just keep it on there and see how it goes.
I would personally keep the skunk2 instead of going back to the dual stage stock one. I could definately feel it pull harder in the high rpms on the butt dyno.

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
OMG! I wish I had that third arm to take photos while I work :shock:

Great writeup

Looks like a fun bolt on. How long did take?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
It took a few hours. The part that took the longest was remove the old intake manifold gasket.

NoBoost

138,000 Mi. EM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jay Jay:

This is a great write up, im sure many people agree with me.
Could you possibly tell us the gains you noticed, how much, and specifically during what RPM range ( as this is till a HUGE debate for many people)

Also, to relieve fuel pressure, unscrew the gas cap prior to disconnecting the FPR and the fuel line, this will cause not as much fuel spraying everywhere.

Thanks

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
very nice write up man...! Couldnt be any better.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice job....i hate installing/removing IM's with the motor in the car, the nuts are so hard to get to

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NoBoost said:
Jay Jay:

This is a great write up, im sure many people agree with me.
Could you possibly tell us the gains you noticed, how much, and specifically during what RPM range ( as this is till a HUGE debate for many people)

Also, to relieve fuel pressure, unscrew the gas cap prior to disconnecting the FPR and the fuel line, this will cause not as much fuel spraying everywhere.

Thanks
Jay Jay said:
I could definately feel it pull harder in the high rpms on the butt dyno.

steve98ex

say no to rotas
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hey jayjay, i was wondering what kind of intake you went with. i've been looking at the aem hybrid intakes, there's one for the b18c1 with stock gsr manifold and a different one for jdm single stage manifold. so basically is the throttle body in close to the same spot for both manifolds?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
steve98ex said:
hey jayjay, i was wondering what kind of intake you went with. i've been looking at the aem hybrid intakes, there's one for the b18c1 with stock gsr manifold and a different one for jdm single stage manifold. so basically is the throttle body in close to the same spot for both manifolds?
I have intercooler piping :lol: You would need the intake manifold for the c5 since the skunk2 is pretty much the same design. You can see in my comparison photos that the gsr throttle body sits a good distance lower than the skunk2.

steve98ex

say no to rotas
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
intercooler piping eh? you need to catch us up on your car =) thanks for the help, can you still get good prices on parts even though tunersports is no more?

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
steve98ex said:
intercooler piping eh? you need to catch us up on your car =) thanks for the help, can you still get good prices on parts even though tunersports is no more?
check out the forced induction sticky "Post your turbo setup" ;)

99_CiViC

it's a way of life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice work...i think i should get this for my swap to :D

sitnloeg6

5+ Year Member
first off thanks for making this thread.. im in the process of doing this myself and im not sure about the gaskets? the throtlebody gasket is fine and im going reuse it but it doesnt seem to line up do i have it on wroung? the gasket between the i/m and engine is wet and a lil black around the edges should i replace this? thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.