Offset Wheels?

AznDude

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was wondering what the #'s mean when it says the wheel is offsetted? thx.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just posted it here the other day. http://www.clubcivic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=636

how it helps.

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
205 is the width of the tire the 40 is the sidewall and the 17 is the diameter of the wheel

Last edited:

ComCool

Muhahaha...
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I know that, but don't get the 7 and 7.5 thing. If that is the width of the rim, a 205 would not fit 17x7. 7" in mm is 177,8 right? :|

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah they make 205's for 17's. 205 is 205mm. and yes the 7 is the width of the rim. thee 205 is the width of the tread not the wheel

ComCool

Muhahaha...
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know they make 205 for 17". But the 205 in the tire code is that tire width right? How will a 17x7" rim then fit, when 7" in mm is 177.8mm not 205mm. Or is there just somthing i'm not getting here?

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought the second number, for example 17 x 7.5 is the offset. And offset is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel.

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you're right about what the offset is, but that number isnt on the tire, the offset number should be stamped somewhere on the inside of the rim.

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in other words the wheel offset is on the wheel not the tire since you can use the same tire on a number of different offset wheels

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nobody ever said anything bout the 7 or 7.5 bein on the tire....he said wheel...

ComCool

Muhahaha...
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know all that, and now know that tha 7 and 7.5 is the offset, you just sayd it was the width of the rim when i asked before.

When a wheel says 17x7 is the 7 at the end the offset or?

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
on a 17x7 rim the 7 is for the width of the rim. typically for a honda , civic for example the rims offset is something like 38, 40,or 45mm.

VigLink badge